Earworms who gets em? and what are they?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
sounds yukky huh? but earworms are actually catchy tunes or dittys that get stuck in your head that you hum over and over. I had a terrible time with them on the men's trip this year. I'd get one stuck in my head and say to my brother "I have this song stuck in my head" and my brother would say 'I can help you with that" and then start singing another annoying song that would stick in my head. When I'd complain about it he'd say "I can help you with that" and start singing yet another song that gets stuck in your head. arrgghhh

On tonight's ride my wife and I are out cruising, beautiful country roads, (by the way Country Roads by John Denver was one of the ones that got me on the Men's Trip as was Willie Nelson's On the Road again) and all of a sudden I realize I am humming Roger Miller's "England Swings" song, just 1 verse, over and over:

England swings like a pendulum do
bobbys on bicycles two by two
Westminster Abby the clock of Big Ben
something something something... little children

it wasn't until an hour after the ride I remembered it was
"the rosy red cheeks" of the little children. It was still stuck in my head.

So, how many of you have this affliction and what are some of the annoying tunes that seem to get stuck the most (and please don't even mention that stupid Don McClean song or that will be stuck in my head for days lol)
 
well...your earworm is a lot better than "Midnight at the Oasis" running through your head.

(to those who now have that earworm....you're welcome)
 
I get some pretty nasty earworms on a regular basis. I have to either turn on music that I like or I have a go-to song that I can hum, which 99% of the time drives the worm out.


 
Riding the Skyline Dr last week and darned if "Dueling Banjos from Delviverance" didn't pop up on my playlist.
Laughed out loud.
 
I have a really annoying earworm problem, particularly on road trips. I tend to get earworms related to the local geography. Some of these are songs I don't even like that much, but they pop into my head nonetheless.

One of the worst is whenever I'm riding the San Juan Skyway from Durango to Silverton I can't get C.W. McCall's "The Silverton" out of my head. Even if I try humming a different tune, it always comes back.

Another is when I'm in Montana or Wyoming heading for Idaho. I get Reckless Kelly's "Idaho" going round and round in my head, but once I'm actually in Idaho, it goes away. :P

If I'm doing a long distance stretch between gas stops, Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty" will inevitably make an appearance.

Most of these are songs that I never listen to, but just pop into my head over and over on road trips. It's annoying, but over the last 30 yrs. or so, I've gotten used to the fact that most long bike trips are going to have predictable sound tracks. Whether I like it or not. :D
 
Thread starter
Lol yep there are some evil tunes out there.

Dead skunk in the middle of the road lol. That will probably get me later, seems to be a lot of them out there right now for some reason.

The video birds posted of the BMW rider in Texas was cool, but yea another candidate for earwormdom.
 
I got caught in the rain at my grandson's soccer game Saturday and some guy came up to me as I was leaving and said he couldn't help but think of this song with one line about riding a motorcycle in the rain:

Must have been an "ear worm" for him ;-)
 
Earworms! I hate them! There's a grandchild around here which means we're often inundated with children's songs. Some days you just can't get 'em out of your head. Blech!

Anyway, here's a non-child earworm:


 
Dead Skunk was Louden Wainwright the 3rds biggest hit. He's an exceptional songwriter with a great wit. Saw him in Park City Utah not too long ago and still has a phenomenal voice. Several of his songs come creeping in and out of my head on long road trips for no reason..first among them "Father and a Son".


Many Years ago I lived in England and was attending a neighbors evening pool party. I was talking to some attendees. We were all standing around the pool and kids were jumping in and out. I happen to turn around and there was my youngest daughter, at the bottom of the deep end thrashing around. I handed my beer to my wife and dove in and pulled her out. After that, Loudens "That's my daughter in the Water" comes to mind fairly frequently. She chose to play it at her wedding for our dance.


You have to know the song to understand why now, every time she pulls up on the Harley Sportster we bought her why that particular tune goes through my head.
 
So... bye... bye... Miss American Pie... Drove my Chevy to the levy... but the levy was dry...

You can get anything you want... at Alice's Restaurant...('cepting Alice)...

The answer, my friend,... is blowing in the wind...

How much is that doggie in the window???...BARK...BARK!...(This one shows my age!)...
 
Happens all the time, but I now know the cure! "Sing" the theme song from Sanford and Son in your head for a little while. It will push out whatever you have in there and it isn't likely to get stuck in place. It also works when you can't clear your head to get to sleep.
It's kinda like magic :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top