early 80's style cb1100f signal conversion...hard?

Mr. P, the OEM style connectores are readily available on the aftermarket. I have some. Give me a little while and I’ll post the link.
 
Mr. P, here is the link: Motorcycle HM .090 Sealed - Connector and Terminals

I think you want the 2 pin. Scroll down for it. I can’t remember right off hand as I haven’t had mine off for a long while. I’d go out in the garage for a look, but I’m out of town on the ST1300 for a little Labor day trip.
 
What about going to the auto shop and buying a roll of automotive electrial wire if you don't have any speaker wire lying around?
 
Thread starter
Are those the ones marked "automotive primary wire?" i've seen some of those while I was out browsing today, but had no idea which one or which gauge I would need. I'm not the type of person to have any wire of any kind laying about, so i'm going to be buying something no matter what.
 
Doesn’t matter much. Look at how small the existing wires are- pretty much any scrap wire you have lying around will work fine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Thanks to everybody's handholding, I've made a small bit of progress. behold, an aftermarket signal with a longer connector for the rear signal!

I'm still confused on the colors though. i've got green and orange on the connector side, and red, black, and black/white stripe on the signal side. near as I can tell, it's supposed to be red to orange, and green to black, and the black/white stripe line left hanging. I guess we'll find out when i try to put them on.

Also, I really do want to thank everybody for throwing me information here and there. I know this is baby stuff, but it's rocket science for somebody like me.
 
I'm with you on the baby side of the equation MrP. Many people on this forum are both amazingly knowledgeable and incredibly helpful.

Have a spare fuse or two on hand, I guess.

BTW, what's the spare plug from the indicator?
 
Thread starter
as if i would even know what fuses go to what...

the leftover wire is a black wire with a white stripe. i've been led to believe that this is a wire for a running light. i think it connects when you connect the front end signals, but it's useless on the rear signals. anybody can feel free to correct me on that.
 
Thread starter
god no. the only reason i'm messing with this stuff is it's something i couldn't possibly mess up enough to cause permanent damage. i won't start working on a bike in any real meaningful way until a few years from now when i buy my cadaver.
 
....would be helpful for things like which color wire does what, where the fuses go, etc.
2ebd4f492887350e5d139d24138dbac7.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Cormanus, at one time that one was accidentally made with 2 different year models. Left and right sides don’t match. Unless it was corrected when we discovered it.

However, I now have full sheet high res scans I had made at the UPS store. PM me if you need one Mr. P. (I don’t have a ‘17 diagram)
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
....would be helpful for things like which color wire does what, where the fuses go, etc.
2ebd4f492887350e5d139d24138dbac7.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
as long as that information is available somewhere on the internet, it's hard to come to terms with paying for it.

big thanks Cormanus and Popgun! i'll study it (if i can make sense of it at all, no guarnatees!)

I have a significant update: the signals will not work at all. I connected my makeshift adapter to the wire harness and they signaled and blinked perfectly. However, once i began to take apart the front signals (which was an outrageously difficult thing to maneuver, let me tell you). it became clear that these signals are equiped with a mounting bolt that is about twice the necessary size. there's absolutely no way to bolt these in place of the original signals. basically, the website utterly lied to me about their compatibility. i'm processing a return now, but it seems i'm back to square one.

I do get to keep my nifty little connection adaptor/wire extensions, though, since I had the foresight to make those without altering the signals at all. Looks like i'm going to have to go back to shopping for different signals though.
 
Thread starter
oh, sorry dubs. i've already re-assembled everything. I can't leave my bike in pieces, it's my only ride.

If you've ever taken apart your signals, you might have seen what i mean, though. the signal mounts via one bolt, which takes an allen wrench, and the wire running independently through a different hole. the aftermarket signals used a 6 point nut and bolt, with the wire running through the threaded bolt. that threaded bolt is roughly double the size of the original bolt that mounts the OEM signals. I am not interested in drilling or otherwise permanently modifying the bike, so that pretty much means these signals are a bust, sadly.

edit: for reference, these are the signals I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJN...UTF8&psc=1

you can see the larger bolt coming out of them.
and these are a set of signals with a mounting setup that looks much closer to OEM (just guessing)

[url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FU92JAY/ref=psdc_9002277011_t2_B01DJNK76Q]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FU92JAY/ref=psdc_9002277011_t2_B01DJNK76Q
 
Back
Top