Ear Plugs / Tinnitus

jdinaz_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I have a serious issue with tinnitus, after every ride I suffer. The wind noise (I assume) is aggravating it. Yes, I use ear plugs, I have tried the foam ones, the ear peace ones and several others, but still hear a lot of wind. I read the posts from about a year ago, but would like an update on what others are using? I use a windshield and a full helmet to try and cut the noise, I may be making it worse with the screen, so I'll try it again naked. If I can't get a reasonable solution, I'll be forced to do the unthinkable. And I never thought I would. I love my CB.
 
jdinaz, I suspect you should really take some expert advice. I use Bose noice cancelling in-ear headphones or silicon ear plug. There's still wind noise, but it's greatly reduced.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Cormanus, I have used the Bose headphones that cancel noise on airplanes and they worked well, so I will check into the in-ears. I'm a bit leary about throwing more money at it when I'm the problem. LOL Thanks
 
Ive tried a variety of plugs and The Ferret pointed me to silicone ones last year. I like them a lot. Here’s a comparison of 3 styles of Mack’s ear plugs (although I buy the generic version of the Pilow Soft)
Top Motorcycle Ear Plugs for Noise Reduction | Mack's Ear Plugs

The silicone plugs seem similar to the ones VJL is touting, but it still might be worth comparing the two to see what works for you.

I’m always trying different styles because I’m not convinced that I’ve found the perfect solution for me. I am convinced that what works for me may not work for you, so best of luck on your search.
 
A good and very important thread :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Hearing damage is not reversible and everyone needs to protect your hearing.
I have a hint of tinnitus, but fortunately, I only hear the hissing in a silent room so it's not a problem and it doesn't bother me at all.
I've been wearing the foam E.A.R plugs for many years. I bought a box of several hundred and find them quite good.
That said, the links provided here have given me food for thought and maybe looking into something else. I won't hurt to experiment.
Thanks for the leads.
 
I have tinnitus as well and assumed it was hearing damage because that is what we have been told our whole lives. I stated watching a lot of videos on YouTube about the subject and I now question that old belief. I have found ways of stopping the ringing completely using the techniques I saw presented. I would explore it for yourself. There seems to be a theory emerging that the ringing is caused by a neurological issue rather than an issue in the ear itself. One of the popular techniques involves stimulating some nerves in the back of the head by thumping on the skull in the right place. Works for me every time but has to be done the right way. Lots of videos on that. This is one of the most interesting videos I came across and seems to also be working for me. It involves relaxing to get the ringing to stop and it works for me as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not suggesting to not wear earplugs. I do every ride. But the earplugs haven’t done anything to stop the ringing but the techniques I read about have.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I use EAR brand. They are yellow foam and work well for me. I can still hear surrounding sounds,though muted,which is just fine. A tip on putting them in- roll one between your thumb and index finger and get it as small as you can. Then (I know this sounds gross,but it works) get a bit of saliva on it and you will have an easy push into your ear canal. Works for me.
 
LouA_imp said:
I use EAR brand. They are yellow foam and work well for me. I can still hear surrounding sounds,though muted,which is just fine. A tip on putting them in- roll one between your thumb and index finger and get it as small as you can. Then (I know this sounds gross,but it works) get a bit of saliva on it and you will have an easy push into your ear canal. Works for me.
:D :D :D that's how I do it.
 
jdinaz_imp said:
I have a serious issue with tinnitus, after every ride I suffer. The wind noise (I assume) is aggravating it. Yes, I use ear plugs, I have tried the foam ones, the ear peace ones and several others, but still hear a lot of wind. I read the posts from about a year ago, but would like an update on what others are using? I use a windshield and a full helmet to try and cut the noise, I may be making it worse with the screen, so I'll try it again naked. If I can't get a reasonable solution, I'll be forced to do the unthinkable. And I never thought I would. I love my CB.
You might also consider replacing your helmet because it might also be contributing to the problem. Some helmets are capable of significant noise reduction.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
Be aware also that some helmets have optional parts that help cut wind noise.

Not only does my Shoei Qwest have an optional chin skirt.. but I found out overseas Shoei sells foam pad inserts to take up the ear cup space inside that you would put speakers into.

For some reason they don't sell them in the U.S., but I found the part # and had them shipped over.

I also found overseas they sell a visor for the qwest that auto darkens in sunlight, also not available here. So I bought it. Combine that with the pinlock and things are much better than the old days. Yes- at a small reduced overall clarity.
 
And that Quest part number would be?
 
I'm a firm believer in using ear plugs but am beginning to think that what might work for one person may not work for another.

In my case, I've settled on custom-molded silicon earplugs. They fit well, last forever, are easy to clean, and seem to work better than disposable foam earplugs.

Before you resort to the unthinkable, remove your windscreen. Try riding the bike naked again. I think you'll be surprised at how much its absence will clear up most of the wind noise you suffer from. My naked CB1100 is the quietest bike in my stable -- even quieter than my R1200RT with fully adjustable windscreen.

Also, I've found that Schuberth makes a very quiet helmet. Try a C3-Pro for size and see if it doesn't help. I used to wear Arai and Shoei helmets and found them to be very noisy.
 
Thread starter
All great suggestions....of course I just bought a new Bell helmet last month. Only thing I notice is that it has less wind noise with the shield up. Windshield is coming off today.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I'm a firm believer in using ear plugs but am beginning to think that what might work for one person may not work for another.

In my case, I've settled on custom-molded silicon earplugs. They fit well, last forever, are easy to clean, and seem to work better than disposable foam earplugs.

Before you resort to the unthinkable, remove your windscreen. Try riding the bike naked again. I think you'll be surprised at how much its absence will clear up most of the wind noise you suffer from. My naked CB1100 is the quietest bike in my stable -- even quieter than my R1200RT with fully adjustable windscreen.

Also, I've found that Schuberth makes a very quiet helmet. Try a C3-Pro for size and see if it doesn't help. I used to wear Arai and Shoei helmets and found them to be very noisy.

You can't make blanket statements like that. Any little air gap will affect noise levels greatly.

Go to The Lid Picker

You can order a kit with calipers to measure your skull. They use these measurements to give you a chart of helmets and how they all will fit you. They apply the cost towards a helmet purchase once you have the results.

Very interesting to see the results. That site is the entire reason I bought the Qwest, which I had not been looking at before.

It fits better than any helmet I have ever had otherwise so the site works well apparently. I did purchase the next thinner set of cheekpads afterward to swap in- but that is not part of the measurement process so just a little bit of a personal preference tweak to take some pressure off my gums.

Thanks to whoever first posted lidpicker on this forum when I found it. I am happy to be able to pass on the tip. :thumbsup:
 
Thanks Powerdubs! I’m going to order some.
 
Don't spend another riding day without hearing protection.

Try out some of the over the counter foam protectors, but do consider custom molded ear protection. Yes they are expensive. An Audiologist made set are the most, but I have found the ones molded at car and bike expo's are just as good and are 1/4th the price. They need to be molded so they are flat and don't extend beyond your ear. Otherwise, removing your helmet will pull them from your ears ... ouch!

After five decades of loud industrial environments, Motorcycles, light aircraft, and other loud hobbies I am left with 40% voice recognition, 80% with dual hearing aids. (These uncomfortable devices set me back 6K USD!) And I have always been careful with hearing protection!

Most of my riding is on my ST1100. In the summer months when I use a short windscreen and a full face helmet. I have used modular helmets, but they are the noisiest. especially behind a tall windscreen that creates turbulence over the helmet.

Be careful out there.
Jim
 
Back
Top