Ear plugs that work.

MrBob_imp

First service completed
Thread starter


I love these things. They seem to filter the most annoying range of sound but still allow traffic sounds. So light, it's easy to forget they're in place.
Ordered from Amazon.
 
I have these as well and really like them. I did opt use some higher db reducing 3M Ear Soft FX foamies on my recent 2100ish mile trip that was mostly highway, though. Figured at highway speeds for hours and hours I could use the extra hearing protection.

The red Motosafe plugs are an NRR 20db and my 3M ones are an NRR of 33db.
 
I have a similar pair and just cannot get along with them, I find them too hard compared to the regular cheapo foam plug. The failure of the foam plugs are that many people just don't put them far enough into the ear canal. When putting in your right ear put your left arm over the back of your head and grab your earlobe and pull it down and out, this opens your ear canal appreciably, roll your earplug and insert with your right hand, it will go down quite far and easily. The reverse for the left ear. If you are worried they are going too far in get the ones with the little cord on them. The ones in a "cylindrical" shape bud work better than the tapered ones too I find, you have a longer seal. I use a headset with them all the time and it makes it easier to use them as wind noise is filtered.
 
I just had a mold of my ears made. Waiting for two sets of plugs. I’m hoping they’re PERFECT, because they’re not cheap.
 
I use those yellow foam plugs. They work fine, mellow out the annoying sounds, and allow most others to pass. People have to speak up when they talk to me, but that's OK with me.
 
+1 on the standard foamies. they seem cheap, but absolutely nothing has the decibel reduction of standard workers foam earplugs. they reduce noise by 32db when put in correctly and are so cheap you can easily toss them whenever they get old or dirty. nothing is more science really hasn't created a more effective ear plug i don't think. if theres something with more noise reduction i'd be super interested in seeing it.
 
The silicone plugs have evolved a little better every few years, and they are sustainable versus dumping foam plugs into the landfills like cigarette butts in the street.

Silicone plugs used to be harder on the ear canal, but they are better than they were. I think some are even biodegradable after 100 uses or so (that implies they are something else than silicone).
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
+1 on the standard foamies. they seem cheap, but absolutely nothing has the decibel reduction of standard workers foam earplugs. they reduce noise by 32db when put in correctly and are so cheap you can easily toss them whenever they get old or dirty. nothing is more science really hasn't created a more effective ear plug i don't think. if theres something with more noise reduction i'd be super interested in seeing it.
You're absolutely right about those industrial yellow foam plugs. I became away of them back in the day when I worked as a fabricator. Wear a pair for two or three days and toss 'em. When my supply was cut off when I changed careers, I'd get them at the hardware store, and when they got dirty, as they did, I'd wash them in little dishwashing detergent and let them air dry. Good as new. I wear plugs when I ride the Suzi DL1000, but not on the Honda.
 
MrBob_imp said:
I love these things. They seem to filter the most annoying range of sound but still allow traffic sounds. So light, it's easy to forget they're in place.
Ordered from Amazon.

I have a pair of these too and they do work well. the 20db rating isn't quite as good as I was hoping. So I bought a pair of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MV5...UTF8&psc=1
Claiming 27db rating, these seem to do just a little bit better.

Not quite as well as the 30db foam plugs, that tend to muffle TOO much.
 
joe_13_imp said:
MrBob_imp said:
I love these things. They seem to filter the most annoying range of sound but still allow traffic sounds. So light, it's easy to forget they're in place.
Ordered from Amazon.

I have a pair of these too and they do work well. the 20db rating isn't quite as good as I was hoping. So I bought a pair of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MV5...UTF8&psc=1
Claiming 27db rating, these seem to do just a little bit better.

Not quite as well as the 30db foam plugs, that tend to muffle TOO much.

I wish earplug manufacturers of the "100 use" plugs would ditch the aluminum storage packaging. Seems like a waste of resources, yet seems common.
 
Back
Top