Dyno tuning oil level

Streetshark07_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi, I hope making a new thread was the right answer, I just didn't think it made sense to hijack somebody else's power commander 5 (pcv) thread.
Basically I've had my CB for about 3.5k miles, have exhaust and k&n air filter and thought it would be neat to get a pcv installed and have the machine dyno-tuned.
So I went to a dealer/mechanic, paid for the part/installation and this guy says that before I drop it off to have it dyno-tuned, the oil had better be fresh and not be fuller than half-way up the sight glass. I thought this was strange because I had my 2004 Triumph Speedmaster dyno-tuned on 3 different occasions and a second thought was never given to oil level.
Ok, now to the meat of the post, so I put in 2.5 quarts, way too low, made it 3 quarts, still low, a few more ounces, AND I BUSTED. So I let some out, put some back, did this a couple times, and at this point I'm just barely over this "half sight glass." I guess what I'm trying to ask is, do you think this could really be a problem. This guy said stuff about how it could come out into your breather, and back in Triumph land, that's just how the heck the engine deals with when my dumb self puts too much oil in, no big deal. So what do you guys think? I'm tired of playing games with the oil... Thank you for your time.
 
Never heard of oil level being an issue. Less oil may creates less friction in the sump. I would think more important to make sure you bring a can of lube for the chain ( lube just before you go on ) check that tire pressure is up to its max of 42PSI and MAKE sure they put a blower on the motor remember your air cooled. After 2 or 3 pulls the motor is very hot. A full synthetic may offer a gain of a couple HP
 
Thread starter
I think I might ask this guy just not to put it to my bike all that bad, I mean I bet he could do a reasonable job of dyno'ing the bike without red-lining the he** out of it, right? I don't ever tend to red-line my bikes, personally.
 
Streetshark07_imp said:
I think I might ask this guy just not to put it to my bike all that bad, I mean I bet he could do a reasonable job of dyno'ing the bike without red-lining the he** out of it, right? I don't ever tend to red-line my bikes, personally.
Just don't watch him tune your bike, i remember watching the exhaust blow by coming off throttle, white, blue all kinds of stuff coming out the exhaust, this is normal and decreases after a few pulls.

This bike likes to be red-lined your not going to hurt anything, he needs to get a true reading to tune. The CB has a Rev Limiter so no damage will be done. He will also tune at different throttle percentages. The most important thing is to keep the motor within heat specs while tuning.

Below is my air/fuel ratio, you can see the dip in torque between 4K-6k, these bikes like to run just above 13.2 and they get a bit rich on top. Don't be to concerned about peak HP, different dyno's can very as much as 8%, but your torque curve doesn't lie. The important thing is to get a baseline and improve on that.

 
Thread starter
I'm waiting to drop off the bike now, I'm gonna remind the shop that the bike is air/oil cool and urge that measures be taken in consideration of this. I lubed the chain this morning and confirmed the tire pressure is at 42 on the rear tire. Let's see how this goes...
 
Thread starter
I got it done and, as expected, only actually gained about 1 horsepower, but being that it isn't running lean anymore, the machine isn't wishy-washy like it used to be. So, verdict: If you have disposable income, spend about another grand making this machine what it should've been to start with. If you don't have disposable income, then why would you buy a machine like this one in the first place. Now I just need some Michelin tires, anybody have the just right sizes for PR3's for this bike?
 
Streetshark07_imp said:
I got it done and, as expected, only actually gained about 1 horsepower, but being that it isn't running lean anymore, the machine isn't wishy-washy like it used to be. So, verdict: If you have disposable income, spend about another grand making this machine what it should've been to start with. If you don't have disposable income, then why would you buy a machine like this one in the first place. Now I just need some Michelin tires, anybody have the just right sizes for PR3's for this bike?
Cuz I like the way it looks and the way it makes me feel. It's not a high performance bike, and trying to make it one would be a huge waste of money. I have other bikes for that.
 
Streetshark07_imp said:
I got it done and, as expected, only actually gained about 1 horsepower, but being that it isn't running lean anymore, the machine isn't wishy-washy like it used to be. So, verdict: If you have disposable income, spend about another grand making this machine what it should've been to start with. If you don't have disposable income, then why would you buy a machine like this one in the first place. Now I just need some Michelin tires, anybody have the just right sizes for PR3's for this bike?
WHat exhaust are you running? 1hp gain from before the tune or from a stock bike? Can you post an image of your dyno run? What were your output numbers
 
Streetshark07_imp said:
I got it done and, as expected, only actually gained about 1 horsepower, but being that it isn't running lean anymore, the machine isn't wishy-washy like it used to be. So, verdict: If you have disposable income, spend about another grand making this machine what it should've been to start with. If you don't have disposable income, then why would you buy a machine like this one in the first place. Now I just need some Michelin tires, anybody have the just right sizes for PR3's for this bike?
If I understand correctly, you spent $1,000 to gain one horsepower? If that's the case, I would gain much more performance by simply losing 20lbs of body weight (which I need to do, regardless), and that wouldn't cost me a dime.
 
Thread starter
The main thing I got out of this is making the bike not run lean anymore, its manners are much improved. I'll post a scan of the dyno when I can get around to it...
 
Thread starter
AZbob,

I'm guessing that the Honda quoted horsepower is at the crank whereas mine is at the rear wheel. All I know is that the bike runs a lot better now. Also, this dyno was done in Hawaii where it's always hotter than dam*it and the humidity is just as high

-StreetShark
 
Back
Top