Ducati Monster 821 ??

JF Coastal_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Hey Guys.

Been a little while. Hope everything is going well around here.!! Been super busy with work. Anyways, I've been debating on purchasing the Ducati 821 or 1200. Leaning towards the 821. Has anyone here ridden one, that can do a comparison to our beloved CB1100 ?

I'm a one bike guy, so I want a performance upgrade. Hhoping to get down to Jacksonville in the next few weeks, any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

JF
 
My son has a 696 and a nephew had* a 796. Not sure what an 821 looks like, but they are all sporting L twins. Theirs seemed very small, light, and you feel like you are leaning out over the front wheel when you are riding. You have to look down to see the gauges. Neither is very torquey and don't have much oomph until you are over 6000 rpms. Not sure how much of a performance upgrade they are because the 696 only had 75 HP, less than the CB. Maybe the 821 is more powerful? Neither have been real reliable with my son's experiencing a transmission lock up, a complete electrical failure and a persistent oil leak that they can't seem to fix, all of which required multiple trailer trips to the nearest dealer 2 hours away. If it hadn't been a wedding present from his wife it would be in someone else's garage. He calls it his 50 mile bike. He won't ride it further than 50 miles from home...round trip. He has a Yamaha FJ-09 he rides when he wants to go someplace further than that lol. The nephews 796 had rear brake problems Ducati couldn't fix and he traded it in (hence the askerisk above) on a new Triumph T 120 Black. Make sure you do some cruising on the Ducati forums to know what you are getting yourself into. My son wishes his wife had gotten him a Triumph 675 R instead of the Duc. A buddy of his bought one and my son rode it and said it was very similar to his Ducati only better. Those were his words. I have never ridden a 675R.

They are all so completely different than the CB as to making a comparison difficult. The Ducs and the Tri 675 are kind of hyper compared to the CB which is rather laid back. That's the best I can come up with. One is an Australian shepard, the other a labrador. lol
 
I believe the 821 is being discontinued, if not this year, soon. It's the smaller water-cooled Monster. There is a new 797 air - cooled bike coming out, using a version of the Scrambler motor. I've not ridden the 821, but have so the 1200 and the old air- cooled 1100 Evo. Monsters are wonderful roadsters, just a matter of what floats your boat. While Ferret has some negative experiences regarding Ducs, for the most part they are robust and reliable machines, and as long as you have a decent dealer, you'll be fine. Here's my bud John Burns take on the new 797:
2017 Ducati Monster 797 Review: First Ride
 
Ferrets son and nephew had negative experiences. Not me. I was just reporting what i know to be personally true, and I do think having a good dealer close by would make a heck of a difference. We don't. I could also relate my Drs experience with his Multistrada too (hint he's now riding a KTM) but I won't. But don't take my word on their reliability or possible issues, go to the Ducati/monster forums and check them out yourself. I always find out what the owners are experiencing rather than take a journalists word, who may only ride brand new professionally prepped bikes for 100 miles before writing their report before/after being fed a steak dinner at a lavish resort.

Just out of curiosity, which would you rather have Capo a monster or a 675 (soon to be 800 I think) Triumph triple?
 
Street Triple 765 all the way. An improved version of one of the best road bikes ever made. I do like the Ducati V, particularly the air cooled ones. We have 5 or 6 Ducati in my riding group, including my SS900, and for the most part, no major issues to speak of.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. I have also been looking at the Triumph street triple . But it quickly seems to get out of my price range. I'll definitely revisit it. Ever since I got cut off by that one guy and laid down my CB1100.
I'm ready for a change. Bike is great, minus two lil' scratches. Just time to move on for a moment to get excited about riding again. I'll probably be selling my bike and all of the aftermarket parts if you know
of anyone interested. instrument cluster has slight scratch. left side of engine where it says honda is scratched. Besides that nothing is wrong. I will price accordingly. Or just take a loss on a trade in.

Thanks for the input on the Ducati's. . I'm strongly leaning towards the 821. I'll post some photos and some comments if I go that route. I sure wish it was easy to test ride the triple and the 821 side by side.

Any other comments are more than welcome. Always great to get feedback from this forum !!


JF
Maybe it's not out of my range. I just looked at the site and it looks to start at 10,500. Sites kinda confusing. or i'm missing something.
 
I think there are 3 versions of the S3 depending on quality of suspension components, and state of tune. I think lol

Im not saying don't get an 821 Duc if that's what you really want, all I am saying is do your research and go into it with eyes wide open. Moto lust can over look many faults, but if you know what they are, you won't be surprised, and you will know how to deal with them if they do crop up.
 
Thread starter
Yup. seems like there is the the street triple and speed triple with a version or two of each plus the 2016 / 2017 versions. Who knows.
I'll stop by my local dealership in the next few days.
The ferret_imp said:
I think there are 3 versions of the S3 depending on quality of suspension components, and state of tune. I think lol

Im not saying don't get an 821 Duc if that's what you really want, all I am saying is do your research and go into it with eyes wide open. Moto lust can over look many faults, but if you know what they are, you won't be surprised, and you will know how to deal with them if they do crop up.
Got it Ferret. I'm definitely in lust. I've read a million reviews and watched all the videos. In person sitting on the bike, final decisions will be made. I think it really comes down between the ducati 821 and the Street triple. Speed triple is out of my league.

Thanks for the input.
 
Thread starter
Will do. Nemo. Just got done talking with sales rep. Seems like great guy. His name is "Craig". He said he had a friend with a CB1100. My first thought was. Maybe that's Nemo !!
 
Thread starter
Cool. Appreciate the input Desert Viper. I've got a few calls in to some dealerships, pretty sure this is going to happen. We will see.
I should probably list my bike for sale on here and the Craigslist. Good chance I'll go check one out Saturday morning.
 
both great choices JF. Just make sure you test ride and test fit the duc, it has an odd fit for some folks. But a great bike for sure.

Now Have you researched the New Street Triple 765 yet? that new one has the making for roadster of the year and it is competitively priced as well.

good luck!
 
Thread starter
Thanks Lola.. Is this the one that you are referring too ?? I keep pulling it up. Looks sweet. I wish I could find some comparison videos. Pretty much down between this one and the Ducati 821. Possibly the BMW R nine T. But I really want riding modes and abs / traction contol type features. 110-120 hp range with great torque.

Appreciate the input. Thanks !

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/b.../2017/street-triple/variants/street-triple-rs
 
When I was pondering the upgrade from my CTX700 I looked at Ducati. I even went to their demo day here in Ontario. I had fun on their scrambler. It would have been cheaper for me to insure, but then I got on the ownership forums and read up about Ducati. For me it wasn't the reliability so much as the maintenance. I'm a high mileage rider and the cost and frequency of services got me looking elsewhere. Not to mention how several people complained about how long it took their dealers to locate parts. The scrambler was lighter than the CB, but the seat was terrible, I realize I could swap it out, but it really was unbearable. After my 45 minute ride I couldn't wait to get off that thing. I had the opportunity to ride another bike, but my buddy wanted to get home to his lady, and it was crazy stinking hot that day, I think it was August. Not much else in the Ducati lineup was in my budget anyhow, I considered riding the Diavel but the pricetag made it unreasonable for me.

If I was going that way, I'd probably stick with Honda and get the CB1000R. 123 HP 73.8 FT/lbs, 478 lbs and an 11.3 quarter mile. I like the looks, finding a low K used one or a model thats a couple years old that the dealer will discount would be easy and it is lighter and has the extra power that you're looking for.

XSR900 or FZ-09 might fit the bill too. I've heard the Super Duke from KTM is the bike to end all acquisition syndromes.
 
No Worries JF. and yes that is the one! Tons of European reviews of the RS and all are over the moon about this particular one. Just for comparison sticker price on my 2009 triumph street R was $9500.00

This new Street triple RS for 2017 has a bigger motor, more power,Quick shifter, big piston front forks,rear Ohlins shock, Brembo M50 calipers and brake lever, TFT Fully customizable Digital Dash, rider aids,and all led lights and I'm sure i missed more and for $12,500.00 Thats a $3000.00 difference between when the first Street Triple R that came out in 2009 . So If you piece each of these new tech parts it would be well over 3k, I think triumph is really giving back to the riders with their new models. Good Luck Jf and happy shopping!
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the replies guys. It's tough picking from all the beautiful bikes out there. Ducati is still in the run. But it is being beat out by Triumph street triple it seems.
All three of the versions are great, and it's so easy to keep spending money. Buy I'm leaning towards the black or white "R" version. Yes, I could splurge for the RS. But than i'm kinda out of my comfort range. And will I honestly need that much bike. probably not.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/b...e/2017/street-triple/variants/street-triple-r
FZ-09 is really nice though. I sat on that as well. !!
 
Back
Top