Driving Dynamics

linuxology_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
What tips/driving dynamic specifics to the motorcycle would you tell someone about the CB1100? Specifically for someone that has never driven a CB1100. I have heard the brakes are super strong.
 
Neutral neutral neutral!

Easy turning bike due to narrow tires.

Smooth, strong low and mid range power.

The brakes are strong, but very progressive and easy to modulate.
 
+1 to what Undecider said. The brakes were a pleasant surprise for me first time I rode my CB. Super strong but very progressive and easy to modulate.
 
I don't think you'll need too much advice. I went straight from a much smaller displacement (83 Nighthawk 550) and the transition was seamless. Also I think the CB handles in the corners much better!
No weird surprises. Go easy on the bike, it will go easy on you. Flog it, and it will show you what it can do :)
 
Plus one to what everybody has said. THis is a super easy to ride motorcycle that is very user friendly imo that wont play any tricks on you. Its very predictable and inspires a lot of confidence in the rider. It just feels right to me for the level of riding I do. I love it. IN contrast, my old 1200 sportster was shaky(no pun intended) in several areas and never felt like it was the total package. Handling was suspect and brakes were horrible. Felt heavier than it was. Heck, my 750 Nighthawk would run circles around the sporty as far as being a better total package and the cb1100 is a big improvement over the 750s imo.

Yes, the front brakes are really really good also and I have to mention that the CB1100s have the best gear box I have ever encountered in my life. Slick is an understatement. I have not had the opportunity to ride as many bikes as some of this board has but I know its really good also.
 
I would add the following, rear brake is there for stability not strong in stopping power. Also if coming from smaller, older bikes; take it easy on the throttle until you learn the power of this bike. It is no 200hp super bike, but a true beginner could lose control and be surprised.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
I would add the following, rear brake is there for stability not strong in stopping power. Also if coming from smaller, older bikes; take it easy on the throttle until you learn the power of this bike. It is no 200hp super bike, but a true beginner could lose control and be surprised.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If one has the ABS system the rear brake is linked to a single piston on the front brake increasing it's effectiveness, the front brake when applied engages 2 pistons. I chose this bike because of the ABS system, absolutely the best performance I ever had in braking. The hydraulic clutch is sweet too as is the linear power curve. I find the CB1100 a fantastic sports bike for one up riding and a great bike for the money.
 
Brakes are excellent. I thought the Griso had good brakes (and they are) but pale compared to the CB's. They will spoil you. Another Griso owner that has ridden my CB commented, rather quickly I may add, that the CB is very easy to ride.

If it had the Moto Guzzi V twin motor it may be the perfect bike (I do have a slight bias to torquie free reving V twins and their steam engine throbbing power delivery). It flicks into the twisty bits with ease, almost as nice on the fast sweepers. It does not surge forward with wild abandon at speed like the Griso, but it will get up and go. Like a well powered Buick vs. a hot rod Vette.
 
I added the OEM lower bars to make me feel more apart of the bike rather than just sitting up on it. They're just an inch or so lower but feel more natural too me.
 
gossman_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
I would add the following, rear brake is there for stability not strong in stopping power. Also if coming from smaller, older bikes; take it easy on the throttle until you learn the power of this bike. It is no 200hp super bike, but a true beginner could lose control and be surprised.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If one has the ABS system the rear brake is linked to a single piston on the front brake increasing it's effectiveness, the front brake when applied engages 2 pistons. I chose this bike because of the ABS system, absolutely the best performance I ever had in braking. The hydraulic clutch is sweet too as is the linear power curve. I find the CB1100 a fantastic sports bike for one up riding and a great bike for the money.
If one has the ABS system the rear brake is linked to a single piston on the front brake increasing it's effectiveness, the front brake when applied engages 2 pistons. I chose this bike because of the ABS system, absolutely the best performance I ever had in braking. The hydraulic clutch is sweet too as is the linear power curve. I find the CB1100 a fantastic sports bike for one up riding and a great bike for the money.
I am not sure what it is like in the US, but in Europe only the 2013 model had ABS and CBS (which is the linked braking option). In 2014, they did away with the CBS and so only offer an ABS solution which does not link front and rear brakes.
 
linuxology_imp said:
What tips/driving dynamic specifics to the motorcycle would you tell someone about the CB1100? Specifically for someone that has never driven a CB1100. I have heard the brakes are super strong.
IMO the brakes are very good, but no better than other dual disc setups. The suspension is soft and comfy, but the front is too soft from the factory. Power is good and linear and not peaky, and it handles really well, and the bike feels much lighter than it is. :banana:
 
No vices really, as a born again noob I find the weight a bit of a handful at low speeds and when hauling it around.

I disagree that it has a low centre of gravity, but with my 260 lbs on top, my perception will be different to others'.

Super smooth clutch is a delight, and my main speed control at walking pace - throttle's a bit sensitive at the bottom end.

Brakes are confidence inspiring - front strong, and rear subtle but effective for fine control.

Ergonomics are pretty good, When I'm in an exuberant mood I sometimes wish the seat had a bit of a step to reduce the feeling of having to hold on to the bars just to stop myself sliding backwards (again, my weight probably not helping here).

Power comes on utterly predictably - no great lumps of extra torque at certain rev bands.

All the bike I'll ever need - probably!
 
the_undecider_imp said:
Neutral neutral neutral!

Easy turning bike due to narrow tires.

Smooth, strong low and mid range power.

The brakes are strong, but very progressive and easy to modulate.
What do you mean by "Neutral neutral neutral!"?
 
Waldo_imp said:
the_undecider_imp said:
Neutral neutral neutral!

Easy turning bike due to narrow tires.

Smooth, strong low and mid range power.

The brakes are strong, but very progressive and easy to modulate.
What do you mean by "Neutral neutral neutral!"?
What do you mean by "Neutral neutral neutral!"?
The steering feel, the way it arcs through corners, and how the chassis reacts to brake and throttle inputs.

Some bikes that have easy steering at low speeds are twitchy at high speeds. Not this bike. I was surprised how putting narrower bars did little to change how easy the bike steered. At very low speeds, the reduced leverage is apparent, but not bad. Honda knows how to make a heavy bike feel lighter than it is.

I attribute the cornering feel to the narrow tires and low height of the bike. Taller bikes tend to fall in to corners as you throw the bike into the turns which makes me feel less hunkered down and stable. Combined with wider rear rubber, you often have to throw some pressure on the inside handlebar to coax the bike to lean.

Some bikes don't like brake inputs mid-corner. This chassis is pretty unflappable in that dragging some rear brake through the apex (trail braking) doesn't make the bike want to stand up straight. A lot of bikes do try to stand up under trail braking which requires more force to the inside bar to counteract. With all the torque, the bike just marches out of the corner.

The best example I can provide of how easy it is to ride is to describe how I ride through tight, decreasing radius turn. As I approach and downshift (usually to 2nd for 20-30 mph), I'm on both brakes. As I turn in, I have the throttle open just enough to maintain my corner entry speed and release the front bike. I maintain this neutral throttle and rear brake until I hit the apex and then twist my wrist and lift my right toes.
 
The Griso needs to be pushed down into a corner but the CB takes input at any speed with no surprises and no fighting. Very flickable. In the fast sweepers she is open to adjustments, not locked in to a line. But she is not twitshy either. Neutral is a good term for her.
 
Back
Top