Drive Chain upkeep

LakeWylieJoe_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I had to make 1/4 turn adjustment to my chain slack today (on my 2014 Standard) to bring it back into spec. This is the first adjustment I've had to make in 27,000 miles (~43,450 km). Pretty impressive. I've been cleaning and lubing every 500mi, per the schedule, with Honda Chain Cleaner & Honda Chain Lube, then wiping the excess off.

It will be interesting to see how how long it lasts from here.

 
Very impressive maintenance and distance driven prior your first adjustment :thumbsup:...I think, I did my first at 36000 kms, during tire set replacement.
 
That's extraordinary. My first chain lasted ~50,000 kms.
 
Thread starter
The bike has taken me through nearly every state in the US via two lane roads. I'm fortunate to be able to keep her in a large garage.
 
Ferret and me particularly! :rofl:
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Ferret and me particularly! :rofl:

Yea!

Mine didn't look that good new if I remember right
 
Thread starter
Here's short rundown on how it's done. It may not be the best method, but it works for me and it's fairly quick. My last VFR went 36,000mi before I had to adjust the chain tension. I'll try to get a video together the next time I do the job (500mi from now).

Items you'll need: chain cleaner, Honda chain lube (not the white lithium garbage), a piece of scrap cardboard (a section of cereal box does nicely), and a scrap piece of terry cloth. I've cut up old beach towels and gotten about 8 nicely-sized segments, or WalMart sells inexpensive terry cloth shop towels in large rolls.

Put the bike on the centerstand and lower the side stand, too, in order to create a little more working area.

With the chain cleaner aerosol can (nozzle attached), work on cleaning up the chain in segments about a foot (30cm) long on the lower run between the sprockets. I hold the rag behind the chain to catch all the overspray, then use it to wipe the grime off. Once a segment is clean, I roll the rear wheel to expose the next segment. I'm able to do the whole thing in 3-5min, because there is little grime to begin with. Even so, the rag is mostly black by the time I'm done.

Next I hit the segments , one at a time as above, with the lube (nozzle attached), using the cardboard to catch all the overspray. Once all the links are foamy, I use the remaining clean areas of the rag to wipe the excess off the side links. You can hold the rag around the chain and roll the wheel--the excess comes right off.

I suspect the lube penetrates into the working surfaces of the chain if it's hot when you apply the lube, but I may be wrong. i let the stuff sit for at least 10min or so before riding off.

I toss the rags and cardboard when done. I've had to buy maybe three or four cans of chain cleaner in 5 years and I think I'm still on the original can of lube. When on long road trips, I pack a few rags and sheets of cardboard so I can do the job when it's time.

Anyway, If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

 
LakeWylieJoe_imp said:
Here's short rundown on how it's done. It may not be the best method, but it works for me and it's fairly quick. My last VFR went 36,000mi before I had to adjust the chain tension. I'll try to get a video together the next time I do the job (500mi from now).

Items you'll need: chain cleaner, Honda chain lube (not the white lithium garbage), a piece of scrap cardboard (a section of cereal box does nicely), and a scrap piece of terry cloth. I've cut up old beach towels and gotten about 8 nicely-sized segments, or WalMart sells inexpensive terry cloth shop towels in large rolls.

Put the bike on the centerstand and lower the side stand, too, in order to create a little more working area.

With the chain cleaner aerosol can (nozzle attached), work on cleaning up the chain in segments about a foot (30cm) long on the lower run between the sprockets. I hold the rag behind the chain to catch all the overspray, then use it to wipe the grime off. Once a segment is clean, I roll the rear wheel to expose the next segment. I'm able to do the whole thing in 3-5min, because there is little grime to begin with. Even so, the rag is mostly black by the time I'm done.

Next I hit the segments , one at a time as above, with the lube (nozzle attached), using the cardboard to catch all the overspray. Once all the links are foamy, I use the remaining clean areas of the rag to wipe the excess off the side links. You can hold the rag around the chain and roll the wheel--the excess comes right off.

I suspect the lube penetrates into the working surfaces of the chain if it's hot when you apply the lube, but I may be wrong. i let the stuff sit for at least 10min or so before riding off.

I toss the rags and cardboard when done. I've had to buy maybe three or four cans of chain cleaner in 5 years and I think I'm still on the original can of lube. When on long road trips, I pack a few rags and sheets of cardboard so I can do the job when it's time.

Anyway, If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
I just bought a pack that had the Honda chain cleaner and Honda chain lube with "white graphite". Can I assume that's not the same as "the white lithium garbage" or have I been duped by an unscrupulous Honda marketing department? I mean, they put "WHITE GRAPHITE" in yellow yelling font. How is that not automatically better?

I've been spoiled with 7 years of shaft-drive on the BMW and have been using Motorex cleaner/lube on my KTM so it's been awhile since I've had the Honda stuff in the garage.
 
Oh, gawd, made me look at Honda Chain Lube. What's better: chain lube with "Moly" or chain lube with White Graphite? On price, because it’s more expensive, the white graphite should be.

I've had a can of Honda Chain Lube for a wee while and it recommends spraying it on, letting it sit and then washing it off before re-oiling. It does a pretty amazing job of getting crap off the chain.
 
+1
Kero to clean and gear oil to lubricate...cheap and efective...Comparison video of chain lube effectiveness below...you'll never buy chain lube again....

 
I've always used the *Put a rag on the other side *Put a rag on the floor to catch the drips *Spray a section *Rotate *Spray another section method.

A year or two ago, I started using a Grease Ninja: GreaseNinja Home to do my chain lubrication. It's a simple, "why didn't I think about it" product that puts the lube in the center of the chain, and doesn't get overspray all over the place. It takes less time, too. I put a rag on the floor to catch the drips, lube while I slowly rotate the back wheel, and when I'm done, use the rag to wipe the chain.

Been using Maxima Chain Wax for years, and can't remember the last time I had to do a chain adjustment, other than during tire swaps. I only ride on paved roads in dry weather, so don't have to do much cleaning.
 
I got 36,909 out of my first CB 1100 chain
 
The ferret_imp said:
I got 36,909 out of my first CB 1100 chain
Bugs, gremlins, gobs of oil, grains of sand? lol
 
Back
Top