Draining oil : hot, warm or cold

Houtman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
This has been discussed before I think but there was a good article in
Road Racing World (sept. 2019 ) Excellent magazine for people interested in racing.
I always drained my oil hot but will change to draining it cold.
Short of the story : Drain Hot 4.5 % oil left
Drain Warm 6.8 % oil left
Drain cold 0.3 % oil left
 
Draining oil when cold is counter-intuitive ( hot oil is more viscous and 'runny' ) but I could understand that, when cold, the oil will cling better to itself, with gravity pulling it out better as a whole.

Also, workshops are under time pressures and the bulk of the oil will drain quicker presumably, than waiting... and waiting... and waiting for cold oil
 
Thread starter
The reason for draining oil cold is that all the oil is in the sump and all the contaminants will be in that oil. If still hot some of the "baddies" will still be in the engine. I always drained it hot ( including burns ! ) but from now I will drain it cold to see if more old oil will drain out.
Bazbro_imp said:
Draining oil when cold is counter-intuitive ( hot oil is more viscous and 'runny' ) but I could understand that, when cold, the oil will cling better to itself, with gravity pulling it out better as a whole.

Also, workshops are under time pressures and the bulk of the oil will drain quicker presumably, than waiting... and waiting... and waiting for cold oil
Some of the better shops put the bike in a cooler for a while to get the oil cold.....
 
Interesting numbers. Warm is the worst option?
 
I drained what I thought was all of the oil out of my Bonneville before ordering valve shims and seals and heading off for a trip. It was warm when I let it drain, about 30 minutes after running, and it had stopped dripping after quite some time.

I hand-tightened the drain plug just so I wouldn't misplace it, figuring nothing more would come out, but put a towel under the bike in case it dripped. When I came back home, the towel was soaked, and there was a rivulet of oil that had extended down past the bike. Quite a bit more had come out. I think I'll pull the plug when it's warm, but let it drain overnight from now on.
 
Give the engine a tinkle to tease the rest out.

- - -

Really, I just walk away from the drip and return at some random later time and refill. Never been a known issue.

Under normal use, a 100 mL of old oil will not do harm for an engine like this - it is not surgical equipment or anything of the like.
 
You actually WANT a tiny drop of oil to remain within the engine, to aid lubrication immediately after an oil change, when the full amount of oil hasn't yet circulated.
 
lol motorcyclists have the ability to take something so simple and make it so complicated
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
By the way, what kind of oil should I be using? :P
Organic , gluten free oil .
I probably opened a can of worms ( I mean oil ) but it was a good article in a VERY good magazine .
 
Back
Top