down for a few weeks

Glad your ok. We have a lot of deer around here too. I have a better chance of getting taken out by a deer than a car. Hope everything works out with getting you and the bike back on the road.
 
I sure hate to hear about your incident, Seth. Damned deer are all over the place around here too. :s
I hope you heal fast and complete, and I think I silver CB would be fantastic!
God Bless.
Jim
 
Seth, I hit a deer head on as it jumped out in front of me about ten years ago. I was doing about 70 mph when we collided. It cut the deer in half, shattered my pelvis, and severe road rash. I was out of work for about 2 and a half months. The motorcycle, a 82 honda cx500 was totaled. You and I were very lucky. I have found that I drive a little slower in wooded areas and always scan the sides of the roads in anticipation of any critters darting out. I think it will make you a safer rider as a result. That which doesnt kill us makes us stronger.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Yeezus 70mph and hitting a deer sound horrible I think I was only going 40 just coming out of a corner I can't imagine hiting one at 70 again thanks for all the well wishes im already starting to feel better.
 
I also live in a very rual place. Every night you have to watch for deer. One night a deer hit the back door of my car my son in the back seat deer hit his side with her nose on the window ! Scared my lil son to death !
 
The famous safety guru Larry Grotsky was killed in a collision with a deer in Texas
 
Oh man, that hurts just reading about it. When I rode in Minnesota and Wisconsin (Duluth area) I really stressed about it. One of the reasons I gave up biking for a while. I sold, and used, a 100watt high bean H4 bulb. Illegal as hell but if you got pinched for not dimming your high beams you deserved it.

Normal low beam, but once I hit the high beam the whole country side lit up. It was fantastic. Both ditches were lit and with my 550 there was no way to out run the light. They didn't last as long at 100watts but the safety factor was worth it.
 
Yea moose are an additional problem in Canada. Then cows and horses in open range land in western USA.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
We don't have 4 legged moose in Mississippi but we do have the large 2 legged female moose but they move slow they can't jump out in front of ya lol. :).
 
Guth_imp said:
Sorry to hear this news, but glad that you are doing okay. Heal well.
A light hearted (sort of) look at animal-human interaction in Oz:

Australian outback and outer urban lore includes many examples of human–kangaroo interactions, too frequently involving collisions between vehicles and our national symbol at eventide or nightfall. Overnight roadside kills are so common along some highways, such as the Eyre across the Nullarbor Plain, that it has been necessary for road patrols to carry out a daily collection of carcases, to reduce distress to overseas tourists unused to such slaughter. Injuries to drivers, even fatalities, have also resulted from collisions or attempted avoidances. Beneficiaries include eagle and other raptor populations—provided they can get out of the way of oncoming vehicles in time. Our national news recently included a kangaroo inside Melbourne Airport’s passenger terminal; lacking a boarding pass, it was removed by security staff to greener pastures.
On a lighter note, the interactions are not always of the airport kind, or where a car or truck strikes the kangaroo. This one occurred on a sunny mid-afternoon along an outer Melbourne stretch of the Strathewen Road, locally known as Hoppers Crossing. Here, the local mob have developed a frequently-used pedestrian crossing, where large male and female eastern greys, led by locally-named Qantas the Flying Kangaroo (over six feet of spring- heeled sub-orbital ballistic macropod missile) soar over the roadside fence, followed by adolescents and juveniles through their ever-widening hole in the wire netting, straight across the road. There is little point in trying to repair the hole, the juveniles being far too smart, simply moving the hole along to the nearest convenient location by burrowing beneath or through humankind’s best attempts at kangaroo impedance. Verily, our national symbol can be a pain in the fence.
If they would but pause, look left or right, then cross with care, or perhaps wear fluorescent
yellow jackets? Sad to relate, they do none of these things. Indeed, Jared Diamond has noted that one reason why our Aboriginal people never developed sedentary agriculture was their lack of domesticable native livestock that could be fenced in, rather than decamping overnight thirty miles from the would-be herders.
And so it came to pass that Qantas did come a-bounding joyfully down the hill, over the fence, down the embankment, onto the Strathewen Road, thud, at full speed amidships into the Toyota bearing your correspondent and young grandson Liam.
Thus it was that we have never run into a kangaroo—this one ran into us. The bemused beast bounced onto the pavement, hoisted himself groggily onto his haunches, shook his head, glared at us and (no exaggeration) swore, repetitive grunt- snort style, while his spouses/siblings/offspring/ cousins/aunts did likewise, from the roadside. But as we had no camera, so this Attenborough-standard kangaroo road-rage vignette went unrecorded for future generations.
Luckily for us, rather than dragging us out and beating us up, Qantas and his entourage, with a parting curse or two, completed their crossing, bounding onwards and upwards into neighbouring broad sunlit uplands, whence they return at will, to and fro, over the road ... an unpredictable kangaroo oscillation, potentially an inelastic collision to be avoided where possible by motorists.
If there is a moral to this tale: always proceed with caution, can’t be too careful, and keep your camera to hand. And perhaps those “Beware of Kangaroos” road signs could be modified to also read, “Or You’ll Be Dented”.

Acknowledgement To the author:
John O’Connor who lives in the outer north-eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
 
Ptero, This is very interesting story, we don't have much interactions with kangaroos here in the Northern hemishphere, but when I was in Sydney I had a chance to taste kangaroo meat and it was good. I don't eat much meat nowdays, but i remember that it was good.:)
 
When I was a lad I used to shoot roos for pocket money (well beer money actually). Salted and sun-dried the skins for sale to the passing populace. Occasionally I would take the hindquarters and tail and Mum made a stew, complete with onions, carrots, potatoes etc., yum. Cant bring myself to eat roo steak while the cows still keep donating good rump :). Visit us again.

Cheers
 
A fellow primitive bowyer visiting from Australia brought me some tanned roo skin to use for bow handles and strike plates. Its been a few years but I thought he told me it was great gray roo although the tanned skin was green in color. Very thin, very light weight, very tough stuff. I believe GP roadracers use roo skin racing suits.

Btw..historical note here..did you know the aborigines were the only culture on earth that never adopted the bow and arrow?
 
Many varieties of roo and wallabies (and wallaroos etc), the most common being the Eastern Grey. Central Australia and the outback plains are mainly populated by the Red Kangaroo. Reds are a bigger beast than the Greys. I'd better stop, this is a bike forum :)

Cheers
 
Back
Top