Don't Drink and Driver

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Noticed something interesting on the electronic message boards on the freeways on the ride home from work today.

I'm just spit balling here, but I got the impression that most Caltrans officials left the office early for the Fourth of July holiday, leaving an intern to come up with the "don't drink and drive" slogan for the message boards:

"ONLY SPARKLERS SHOULD BE LIT. DRIVER SOBER"

Hold on, just ran a quick errand. Either the intern sobered up or got written up... now says DRIVE, not DRIVER.
 
Or the proof reader dealt with his basic illiteracy.
 
Electronic message boards? Heh, maybe an AI machine-generated? Maybe manually entered by an overseas out-sourced grunt?

Grammar or typo is poor, yes. But the message still feels somewhat vague.
 
Thread starter
I’m assuming “lit” means drunk in this reference. So the sign would make sense to road users under the age of 25.

But, road users under the age of 25 are all too busy looking at their phones to notice the signs in the first place. And, road users above the age of 25 will slow down to ponder what the sign means, causing extra traffic.

I guess I should appreciate that someone tried to make an effort to come up with something more clever than “Don’t Drink And Drive.”
 
Hey Rocky, hold my beer and watch this!
 
Thread starter
George Carlin used to offer a warning to his audience: “Drinking and driving don’t mix. So, do your drinking early, get it out of the way, and then go driving.”
 
“Hey, Rocky, watch this” reminds me of someone. What’s up your sleeve Bull... er popgun?
 
Back
Top