Does this 2013 ABS look familiar? Getting ready to buy it

LiveToRide_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I've decided to sell my 2013 and get one just like it with ABS. I just moved back to the San Diego area and have had a couple of emergency braking episodes and I think ABS will be safer on the mad house freeways here.

This is the one:

New & Used BMW Motorcycles in Long Beach, CA

Its at a BMW dealer. I was wondering if any one here recognizes it.
 
LiveToRide_imp said:
I've decided to sell my 2013 and get one just like it with ABS. I just moved back to the San Diego area and have had a couple of emergency braking episodes and I think ABS will be safer on the mad house freeways here.

This is the one:

New & Used BMW Motorcycles in Long Beach, CA

Its at a BMW dealer. I was wondering if any one here recognizes it.
Pounce on that thing. Exhaust, fairing, rack...what a steal!
 
#110 wasn't in our registry
 
That bike is not an ABS model. No front sensor ring, no extra hose on the front, no ABS light on the dash.

I'm guessing, another "rear only ABS". (No such thing ya know)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
That bike is not an ABS model. No front sensor ring, no extra hose on the front, no ABS light on the dash.

I'm guessing, another "rear only ABS". (No such thing ya know)
He's absolutely correct. The ring in the back is for the speedo. there should be a similar one in the front for the abs and there isn't. I got took on that deal :-(
 
We have 109 and 111 in non abs in the registry but again not 110
 
Still...they got the ABS part wrong, but that bike, with 2,700 miles, has more than $2,000 in great aftermarket accessories. I still think it is a great deal!
 
Olyrider_imp said:
Still...they got the ABS part wrong, but that bike, with 2,700 miles, has more than $2,000 in great aftermarket accessories. I still think it is a great deal!
I would agree with that :thumbsup:
 
The model number of the ABS model is CB1100A on the data plate at the top of the steering stem tube as can be seen on the port side of the bike.
 
My question is why do you think ABS will help you stop better? It will not. All it will do is release the brake if you lock the wheel.

Are you locking the wheels? Learn to use the brakes. ABS will absolutely not get you stopped faster. It is not an "automatic braking system" it's "anti-lock" to guard against a panic braking situation, as opposed to controlled braking in an emergency.
curlyjoe_imp said:
And the '13 CB1100A has big triple piston calipers up front vs the little 2-piston calipers on the other models. :D
Those are four-piston calipers, eight pistons in all. From the earlier CBR1000RR. Awesome brakes, front and rear. :thumbsup:
 
The '13 ABS front brakes are 3 pot calipers. Check the service manual and part fiche and that can be seen.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The '13 ABS front brakes are 3 pot calipers. Check the service manual and part fiche and that can be seen.
Right, the ABS model, I was referring to the standard model. Standard model has two four-piston calipers up front. I thought you were saying it has twin-piston calipers.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The '13 ABS front brakes are 3 pot calipers. Check the service manual and part fiche and that can be seen.
Right, the ABS model, I was referring to the standard model. Standard model has two four-piston calipers up front. I thought you were saying it has twin-piston calipers.
Right, the ABS model, I was referring to the standard model. Standard model has two four-piston calipers up front. I thought you were saying it has twin-piston calipers.
Oh, ok, got it.

It was Curlyjoe though. :cool:
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The '13 ABS front brakes are 3 pot calipers. Check the service manual and part fiche and that can be seen.
Right, the ABS model, I was referring to the standard model. Standard model has two four-piston calipers up front. I thought you were saying it has twin-piston calipers.
Right, the ABS model, I was referring to the standard model. Standard model has two four-piston calipers up front. I thought you were saying it has twin-piston calipers.
Oh, ok, got it.

It was Curlyjoe though. :cool:
Right, the ABS model, I was referring to the standard model. Standard model has two four-piston calipers up front. I thought someone was saying it has twin-piston calipers.
Oh, ok, got it.

It was Curlyjoe though. :cool: Good grief I cannot keep track of all these posts! :blush:
The ferret_imp said:
Braking on an abs bike and a non abs bike is exactly the same up until the point of wheel lockup, at which point an abs bike will indeed stop faster than a non abs bike. A skidding motorcycle is an out of control motorcycle.

A good read:

http://www.therideadvice.com/abs-motorcycles-vs-non-abs-motorcycles-need-motorcycle-abs/
I'm recusing myself from this debate, I've seen it before. I will just say, for those who have not yet made up their minds, that there is a reason racing motorcycles don't use it.

No more replies on my part; an ABS thread is like an oil thread, lol... :thumbsup:
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The '13 ABS front brakes are 3 pot calipers. Check the service manual and part fiche and that can be seen.
Right, the ABS model, I was referring to the standard model. Standard model has two four-piston calipers up front. I thought you were saying it has twin-piston calipers.
Right, the ABS model, I was referring to the standard model. Standard model has two four-piston calipers up front. I thought you were saying it has twin-piston calipers.
Oh, ok, got it.

It was Curlyjoe though. :cool:
Right, the ABS model, I was referring to the standard model. Standard model has two four-piston calipers up front. I thought someone was saying it has twin-piston calipers.
Oh, ok, got it.

It was Curlyjoe though. :cool: Good grief I cannot keep track of all these posts! :blush:
The ferret_imp said:
Braking on an abs bike and a non abs bike is exactly the same up until the point of wheel lockup, at which point an abs bike will indeed stop faster than a non abs bike. A skidding motorcycle is an out of control motorcycle.

A good read:

http://www.therideadvice.com/abs-motorcycles-vs-non-abs-motorcycles-need-motorcycle-abs/
I'm recusing myself from this debate, I've seen it before. I will just say, for those who have not yet made up their minds, that there is a reason racing motorcycles don't use it.

No more replies on my part; an ABS thread is like an oil thread, lol... :thumbsup:
Well, not quite right there mate. From BMW below; they have played with it in various forms.

Quote:BMW Motorrad presented the S 1000 RR in 2009 - not just its first supersports bike but also the first motorcycle of this type to be fitted with ABS. That same year saw the first racing victory by a supersports motorcycle with ABS at the 24-hour race in Barcelona.
Cheers
 
Racing motorcycles also don't have mirrors, horns, headlights, tail lights, turn signals or brake lights all of which undoubtedly make us safer. They are ridden by very experienced, often professional riders in a very controlled environment, complete with corner marshalls with flags to let them know if there is an unforseen obstacle or spill around the next turn. There are no intersections, traffic lights, hidden driveways, or people turning left in front of them. They don't share the road with texters, people putting on make up, sleep deprived drivers or drunks. As such racing motorcycles is much safer than riding a street motorcycle.

ABS is not voodoo, and for the average rider ABS will be a benefit. There is a reason it is quickly becoming mandatory for motorcycles all over the world. In the not too distant future you will not even be able to buy a motorcycle without it.

I absolutely recommend people learn how to use their brakes properly. If you do, you may never activate the abs on an ABS equipped motorcycle. My CB1100 has ABS and although braking very hard on several occasions during the last two years and 20,000 miles I've never activated the abs on it, because I do know how to use the brakes on my motorcycle. I've also never locked up the wheels on my non ABS ST1300 in 8 years and 70,000 miles. Because I know how to properly use the brakes. However, there may be an unforseen circumstance some day where I am braking and the ABS for some reason does kick in, and in that instance I know I am better off with ABS than without, because like a I said above, a skidding motorcycle is an out of control motorcycle.
 
Back
Top