do you use your cb as a commuter

fredkb_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hello everyone. I use my cb1100 as a commuter to work. I travel about 350 miles each week. 35 miles one way. I check the air in the tires every week and check and oil the chain and check engine oil weekly. I usually wash the bike about every 2 weeks. To anyone considering the purchase of this bike as a commuter, it works well for that purpose. I usually get 38 miles per gallon as I ride fairly agressively. I have rode below 3000 rpms with a passenger for a full tank of gas and got 45 miles to the gallon. I know a lot of you get 50+ miles per gallon. Do you get that mileage at a very relaxed pace. I travel a lot of country roads to and from work, constantly keeping an eye out for deer. The more I ride this bike, the more I like it. I can pass slow moving cars on those curvy backroads where there is very little passing room in a matter of seconds, instead of being stuck behind them for miles. When I ride in strong winds, you can barely feel it. The bike also handles short interstate runs with ease, keeping up with traffic does not even put a strain on the 5 speed transmission.
fb5d875b87e14dbff7ef69dee5dbe013.jpg

Just washed after 2 weeks of riding.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
Great looking bike! I see your a smart guy! You left it stock and you ride it. That's really the best thing to do with a honda :)
Michael
 
Fred.. bike looks good. Glad you are liking it.

I'm retired so no more commuting for me.

I got 52 MPG on my last tank and yes I ride fairly easily. I mostly ride in the country, very few stop signs or stop lights 45-60 mph. Not a lot of shifting, not a lot of braking, not a lot of gassing, just rolling off the throttle for a curve and rolling it back on to pull me thru and out. the other side.
 
Same here Ridem 48 before 52 after.
 
Ferret if you read this I keep trying to post plcs from this samsung tablet and it keeps saying file is to large, can you explain to me how to shrink the file?
 
Nope..I have no idea. I use a photo hosting site call photobucket, but I am sure one of these new age pups will come along and get you straightened out ;)
 
The ferret_imp said:
Nope..I have no idea. I use a photo hosting site call photobucket, but I am sure one of these new age pups will come along and get you straightened out ;)
Ok thanks anyway, I have got to get some lessons on this stuff.I will get it one of these days...
 
Thread starter
ss2wheels, download tapatalk app from google playstore. Install tapatalk app. Then open app. Then clck on cb1100 forum. Click on section (example: general discussion
a6077797221c6a4517b649d0faa09059.jpg

then click on thread
b2d087a1b8d253cbb68617bb438e33f9.jpg

then click on the pencil to write comments
864a6d6f217da5ba8c84ee3cc5a9c1c6.jpg

then click on the 3 dots in upper right hand corner.
8cb23cdaf35f377745f3219cb4ee2bb9.jpg

then click on attach picture
8bef63c0a8aa1d7eadc2bd9452666dc9.jpg

choose gallery or camera for picture
bf47b5f5623d0c89b79e64c858e1c0ff.jpg

then click " image " for full size picture.
01f232f573cd598f65ca865a1f7c7d7c.jpg

then click arrow at top left corner and post it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
sorry arrow at top right corner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
I commute 58 miles one way and it's 95% interstate at a pace of between 75 and 80. I get between 44 and 47 mpg depending on my pace. If I can keep it to 70 I can get 50-52, but that can get dangerous as I don't want to get run over.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I commute 58 miles one way and it's 95% interstate at a pace of between 75 and 80. I get between 44 and 47 mpg depending on my pace. If I can keep it to 70 I can get 50-52, but that can get dangerous as I don't want to get run over.
Not to thread highjack but do you use a windshield?

Kevin
 
I alternate my daily commute between my CB11 and CB750, although you probably commute farther in 2 months than I do the whole year. Mine's only 5 miles each way, with a couple of traffic lights. I do twice that much on my weekend commutes to the airport.

I'm heavy wristed, so I only get around 42 mpg in town. Spirited riding on the highway will net about 48. I once tried to emulate The Ferret and very gently rode a tank at a steady 65-70mph on some uninterrupted back roads and managed to pull 56 mpg.
 
45 MPH is a reasonable, I got around 50 MPH if ride relaxing. 50 or more means you ride a long ride, not commuting in traffics. yes, I use my bike for commuting because it is quick, fun and economical.
 
How about MPG, not MPH. :D
Lambotte_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
Looks like a streetshield ex. I've got that but it is one noisy windscreen.

Kevin
Looks like a streetshield ex. I've got that but it is one noisy windscreen.

Kevin
Noisy how?
 
Nice looking bike, Fred. I use mine as general transport whenever I can and it's fine for that. In fact I keep inventing excuses to go out on errands. :D
 
I use mine for commuting, but my round trip is just under 20 miles. I work night shift, so I tend to jackrabbit at lights and when passing since there tends to be a lot of tired and/or drunks drivers and I'd rather not be anywhere near them. Depending on the day, driving home in the morning just before rush hour starts can be even more dangerous.

My normal average is about 42 mpg, but when I've gone riding with my friend on his 'busa and his brother on his gsx-r 1000, I normally end up around 46ish mpg. When I go riding with SWMBO on her Sporty, I'm normally getting about 50ish.

It can be amazing how much of a difference traffic conditions can make for fuel economy. I have a Royal Star Tour Deluxe (Road King clone with a V-4) as my second bike now, which only gets about 36 mpg commuting. SWMBO and I went on a weekend trip for our anniversary to the Pine Mountain area in GA from Jacksonville on mostly 65 MPH highways, with about 40 miles on I-75. It managed 48mpg for the entire trip, which was completely amazing in comparison to normal.
 
I use mine to commute to work, only about 10 km from the beach to the city and back. I don't own a car so the bike gets used pretty much daily for errands, the gym, meeting up with mates, coffees etc, although the wife has a car which comes in handy for grocery shopping.

It doesn't take too much effort to keep clean as long as you are consistent about it. I'm a little worried about the chrome parts suffering from rust eventually as I have no choice but to ride in the rain at times. Time will tell. It's almost a bit too pretty to use as a runabout. I'm a bit obsessive about maintenance and cleanliness so I notice all the little stone chips, scratches and wear marks. Although I like keeping her clean, I much rather enjoy riding so that tips the balance.
 
Back
Top