Do you think this is for real?

ride4now_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Only 75 units brought into the country?
If so, what’s the point??
51e553b84ba5ae08a65a9ef4a6cf3291.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
ride4now_imp said:
Only 75 units brought into the country?
If so, what’s the point??
51e553b84ba5ae08a65a9ef4a6cf3291.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In Canada, Honda delivered only about 70-90 , 2013 models and to Ontario went most.
How is 2017+'18 don't know...younger generation due to high price prefer under $8K, lighter and faster and I think boomers mostly buy CB

pb
 
ride4now_imp said:
Only 75 units brought into the country?
If so, what’s the point??
51e553b84ba5ae08a65a9ef4a6cf3291.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you asking "What's the point in saying 'only 75' units?" I would say that this makes the machine sound rare, exclusive, exotic, and cool . . . potentially good sales tool.

75 sounds like an amazingly small number for ANY Honda product. It costs a bunch for EPA/DOT certification and that's not many units around which to spread that cost.

When I placed a deposit on a new 2017 on January 11th, the sales manager told me that he was showing 23 units in the warehouse. I cannot seem to find where Honda has a warehouse or warehouses (is there one or many?), but if there is only one, then with 23 remaining and obviously low sales in the US, 75 might be the right number.

If it really is 75, then I feel better about not getting a particularly good deal on mine. Seems like the dealers in the west and southwest are offering them at low prices, maybe because they have them on the floor. In this area (southwest PA), there aren't any on the floor, and dealers have to order them from the warehouse.

Last time I bought a bike that was brought into the US in small numbers was my 1981 Triumph Bonneville, of which only 180 were brought in (out of 500 total production). It was arguably the prettiest bike I've ever owned (out of 14 or 16) and the only one that my wife (who cares nothing about motorcycles) says I should have kept. Gorgeous, but a museum piece (not particularly well built nor robust).
 
398 km on clock indicates it's in Canada to me. 75 Sounds about right for a province
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
398 km on clock indicates it's in Canada to me. 75 Sounds about right for a province
Duh... I didn’t even catch that. You’re probably right. It still seems like a really low number to import. I wonder if it’s worth the effort to them?
 
Guess I didn't pay enough attention. Since the OP shows an address of FL/GA (USA), I assumed wrongly that the dealer was in the US. Now it makes sense.
 
They price for this 1 year old pre-owned bike is only $800 less than the Honda Canada's MSRP. Alberta has no Provincial Sales Tax, but 5% Federal Sales Tax is applicable. If no dealer fees were applied, the out-the-door-cost would be CDN$13,125 (approximately US$10,320).
 
Canada's population is only about 36 million people, which is less than California, plus there are fewer riding days due to the weather. Given the CB's historic low sales volume, 75 bikes for the whole country seems about right.

Curious how many '14 DLX's were sold in California. If Honda imported 300 DLX's to the U.S., and sent 10% to California (with 10% of the U.S. population), it would imply only about 30 DLX's were brought into the state, plus or minus.
 
The last three vin numbers of the bike that's been sitting at my local dealer here in California are '393,' so the U.S. clearly received more than seventy-five '17 CB1100s.
 
VLJ_imp said:
The last three vin numbers of the bike that's been sitting at my local dealer here in California are '393,' so the U.S. clearly received more than seventy-five '17 CB1100s.
How does that really work? VIN's are issued as the bikes are imported into the country, not in sequential order. I don't believe that can be taken as a way to know how many made it to the USA.

There is this thing that used to be an "MSO" but is now called an "MCO", Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin.

I gotta look that all up again.

I needed a new frame for my ZX-10R, for example, because a lady knocked it over in a parking lot, and the frame was dented.

The CHP simply reissued the very same VIN using a blue sticker. So frames do not come with VINs automatically. Each complete bike is issued its final VIN base on the country it's to be sold in.

That's to say, CHP have authority to issue a new VIN, or reissue the existing. So authority resides in the destination country; I'd think that would suggest non-sequential VINs, and VINs that don't indicate actual imported numbers of any given machine.

Searching.
Just checked up on this, the numbers don't have to be sequential:

Production Number

Digits 12 through 17 indicate the production or serial number. This number could indicate the sequence in which a vehicle came off the assembly line. Since there is no fixed standard for this number, each manufacturer may use this number differently.

The VIN is very complicated.

At any rate, I have NEVER, not once, seen a 2017 on the road. And believe me, I see a lot of motorcycles. Sometimes I'll see a Gen 1 bike. Never a Gen 2.

And there seem to be a metric boatload of them for sale in California. Some are being discounted, some not.

If the bike ever becomes a collector's item, it'll be so far in the future that it would be completely irrelevant to me.

Right now, looks like these things are just not selling. So the low numbers make sense. I'm gonna hang on and wait to see what happens in early March. I have seen huge discounts on all kinds of bikes when they get to be loss leaders or hangar queens. There are still new '14s out there. Saw one for $7999 yesterday online.
 
Regardless of whether it's sequential or numbered as the bikes arrive in the country, a last-three-digits vin designation of '393' means that a minimum of 393 '17 CB1100s were brought to the U.S. Seeing as how that bike has sat there for a good three or four months, I'm guessing there must be at least 500 '17 CB1100s in the country.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Canada's population is only about 36 million people, which is less than California, plus there are fewer riding days due to the weather. Given the CB's historic low sales volume, 75 bikes for the whole country seems about right.

Curious how many '14 DLX's were sold in California. If Honda imported 300 DLX's to the U.S., and sent 10% to California (with 10% of the U.S. population), it would imply only about 30 DLX's were brought into the state, plus or minus.
I tend to agree with what you say.
I know that in '13 and '14 only four CB's came into this province. I have one of the '14's and I never see any of the others. Probably not sold locally. I have no idea where they are.
I don't mind being somewhat "exclusive" and get a lot of (what's that) questions about the bike :D :D
 
I paid $6999 for my new 2014 that I bought last Oct 24th. I told my dealer I'd seen them online for that price. He offered the price, I asked for a test drive, loved the bike and bought it. Great bike foe a great price!
 
Labrador12_imp said:
I paid $6999 for my new 2014 that I bought last Oct 24th. I told my dealer I'd seen them online for that price. He offered the price, I asked for a test drive, loved the bike and bought it. Great bike foe a great price!
Did you pay any setup costs or dealer fees in addition to the $6999?

I paid $7499 about a year before you with no add'l fees -- only sales tax when I registered it in Florida. I thought at the time I had gotten a great price but continued to see lower prices as the year progressed...
 
Labrador12_imp said:
Just Pa tax and registration fees. I bought a couple of helmets at cost too!
Then that's among the lowest price I've seen -- and I've been watching. Not sure why I'm watching, though -- I'm not looking for another one...
 
We probably have the tendency to sometimes lose track of the bigger picture when looking at the world of motorcycling through the window of this forum. The number of CB1100s that Honda decided to bring in always seem so low to those of us who enjoy our CBs. But in retrospect it would seem that maybe Honda knew what they were doing. Sometimes we feel it a shame that the bike wasn't better marketed, but as I've come to view things lately I don't think Honda ever felt the need to push this particular motorcycle. I just don't think that there are all that many of use who can really appreciate this machine for what it was intended to be (or rather what it is). Nor do I think that most people can really appreciate the effort that Honda went to produce such a motorcycle (along with the resulting prices). This is why I've stated a few times that I feel like Honda primarily built this motorcycle for Honda, lol. They're Honda after all, and they have plenty of great heritage to celebrate so why not?

Honda still have some leftover inventory from years past and when all is said and done it would appear that most people who really wanted one of these bikes has ended up with one. Even the bikes that were distributed in lower numbers like the DLX models were probably about right for the number of folks that were drawn to them. Those examples that are changing hands these days are taking a lot longer to do so than in the past.

I often find it hard to believe that more guys my age and beyond didn't fall hard for the CB1100 like I did. But when I stop to ponder it longer I guess that I'm not quite so surprised. I'm just glad that Honda made it possible for me to buy the one I wanted along with so many of you other guys that are here on the forum.
 
Back
Top