Do something amazing to your bike in 60 seconds!

Vossero_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I personally find riding much much MUCH better when you shift up once and four down...Well thank the engineers at Honda for being so user friendly! Because i discovered today that you TOO can do this to your bike in 60 seconds...go grab your 10mm socket wrench, go to your bike and unscrew this little guy, pop it out the lever, rotate it 180 degrees to the bottom, screw it back in, and BOOM, your bike is now GP style shifting, even if youre not too sure youd like it, just try it, its literally a one minute job and makes everything better!

ece0712a29435b7838319e2b010e2f6e.jpg

Rotated
ce90792ab4fb19fe2de0ec535cbc70fc.jpg

All done! One minute project guys!
 
Vossero_imp said:
I personally find riding much much MUCH better when you shift up once and four down...Well thank the engineers at Honda for being so user friendly! Because i discovered today that you TOO can do this to your bike in 60 seconds...go grab your 10mm socket wrench, go to your bike and unscrew this little guy, pop it out the lever, rotate it 180 degrees to the bottom, screw it back in, and BOOM, your bike is now GP style shifting, even if youre not too sure youd like it, just try it, its literally a one minute job and makes everything better!

ece0712a29435b7838319e2b010e2f6e.jpg

Rotated
ce90792ab4fb19fe2de0ec535cbc70fc.jpg

All done! One minute project guys!
Yeah sounds great, where are the pictures chief? :-/
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Vossero_imp said:
Boom, fixed lol
Lol, thanks. I still don't know what I'm supposed to rotate. :blush:
Lol, thanks. I still don't know what I'm supposed to rotate. :blush:
The gizmo you have to take off if you want to remove the sprocket cover.

I've spent a lifetime shifting one down, four or five up. No way I'm going to do it. But it's cool that you can if you want to.
 
I'm inclined to think that I'd end up stripping my 'box to shreds through muscle memory kicking in and making me shift 'up' to a lower gear on a manic charge.

Combined with the fact that I can't see how down (for up) is better than up (for up) aside from being 'a modifier' and the Moto GP link.

Knowing Britain's insurance law it'd probably render my insurance certificate as worthless as a napkin too!

In the style of Dragons Den (the TV show), "I'm out"

Nifty trick though!
 
It can be learned; I go between a 2009 and a 2011 macbook pro and scrolling 'up' on the trackpad makes the page go up on the '11 and down on the '09.
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
It can be learned; I go between a 2009 and a 2011 macbook pro and scrolling 'up' on the trackpad makes the page go up on the '11 and down on the '09.

Get you, Haga! :sleepy:
The Spaceman_imp said:
Try going from a right-side foot shifter to left sometime....talk about "stripping a 'box!"
Yeah that sucks, I feel your confusion.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Or for Spacey, "If it ain't broke, lend me it for a weekend, then ****can it!"
 
I had a GP style shifting on my old Jawa 350 motorbike. I have no preference on the shift pattern and will probably stay with modern style shifting, but it´s cool it can be easily reversed.
 
Well, let's see... My 69 Bonnie is right shift, 1 down - 3 up. My 72 and 74 Norton's are right shift, 1 up - 3 down. My 75 Norton is left shift, 1 down - 3 up. My 74 Vespa and 80 Vespa are left handlebar clutch, left handlebar shift, 1 forward, 3 back. My 2013 Vespa is twist and go! The rest of the bikes are left shift, 1 down - 4 or 5 up. I guess the last thing I need is to add another shift pattern to the mix!!
 
Is the advantage of this that you can keep your foot over the shifter and therefore not scrape your toe during a left turn? Otherwise, I'm a little confused why you would want to do it if you're used to the conventional shift pattern.
 
Yep, that would take some getting used to for sure. Unless you wanna spend a whole lot of time relearning how to shift -- with the little bitty insignificant risk of shifting DOWN instead of UP -- you might want to leave that GP shift pattern to the riders who're used to it.

The reason for it -- as EmptySea rightly guessed -- is that it allows the toe of your boot to be up and out of the way as you upshift whilst accelerating out of a turn.
 
Tripod_imp said:
Well, let's see... My 69 Bonnie is right shift, 1 down - 3 up. My 72 and 74 Norton's are right shift, 1 up - 3 down. My 75 Norton is left shift, 1 down - 3 up. My 74 Vespa and 80 Vespa are left handlebar clutch, left handlebar shift, 1 forward, 3 back. My 2013 Vespa is twist and go! The rest of the bikes are left shift, 1 down - 4 or 5 up. I guess the last thing I need is to add another shift pattern to the mix!!
Our vintage Indians are left foot clutch, right foot brake, left hand throttle, right hand ignition advance, right hand shift (apart from girlish 1928 350cc Prince model, which has conventional left hand clutch and right hand throttle). Go figure :-D
 
Maybe I need to compare my bike to the picture, because I cannot tell the difference between the before and after pictures in the OP. Seems like it might be a fun thing to try even though I'm not in particular jeopardy of dragging my boot very often (refer to "chicken strips" thread)
 
Back
Top