Do I need Dyno?

mjvielle_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Is dyno-tuning more for those who are pushing their bikes to some extreme. Can I really feel the difference just rambling around the roads?

Does one really need one's bike to be dyno-tuned? I just added a larger air intake funnel and will change header pipes, but I don't see much that radicalizes the operation of the bike. I mean, worst case it runs weirdly, which in that case I could get it tuned, or it runs rich, burning too much gas. I also heard that the oxygen sensor itself in the pipe can accommodate some perceived changes/ modifications to the in and out of air.

Thks!
(And i do not mean to belittle this topic. I appreciate tuning--i play the cello and I would want it in tune!)
 
I've had it done to many bikes in the past. Yes, you can feel it. Without a PCV I don't think you can change much. If I lived in America I would have done it already :D
Unless you do track days or pick fights on the street, stock is fine.
 
With new software out there that can talk directly to the ECU and push new mappings to it the PCV is quickly becoming obsolete. Why go through a middleman if you can talk directly to the Big Kahuna?

To do it right, dot all the i's and cross all the t's you need to dyno. Seat of the pants dyno will be problematic and depends too much on your experience level. Not saying it can't be useful, but if you are not in fine tune with your machine it will be very hard to make a judgement call.
 
PCV maybe not "obsolete" , I do see the overlap, but PCV is safer and keeps the warranty in place, PCV can be removed in 5 minutes, not so with ECU flash.
So if you're going to get an ECU flash, skip PCV, but PCV is still a nice upgrade I am glad I have one.... of course, if I do get the ECU flash, I would try selling the PCV.
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
I've had it done to many bikes in the past. Yes, you can feel it. Without a PCV I don't think you can change much. If I lived in America I would have done it already :D
Unless you do track days or pick fights on the street, stock is fine.
+1 :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Ack-CB11_imp said:
I've had it done to many bikes in the past. Yes, you can feel it. Without a PCV I don't think you can change much. If I lived in America I would have done it already :D
Unless you do track days or pick fights on the street, stock is fine.
Nice, thks! There's a few sportbikers around who are asking for it :D
 
With my Moto Guzzi, I can reflash the factory map. Three minutes. Step one was pulling off the stock map so I could get back to square one - which I had to do.

But if I understand correctly, for the CB1100, a hole needs to be drilled to get to the tap on the ECU so it can be reflashed? THAT would mean buying a new ECU for warranty work.
 
Rboe_imp said:
With my Moto Guzzi, I can reflash the factory map. Three minutes. Step one was pulling off the stock map so I could get back to square one - which I had to do.

But if I understand correctly, for the CB1100, a hole needs to be drilled to get to the tap on the ECU so it can be reflashed? THAT would mean buying a new ECU for warranty work.
I believe CIP reported that there was no drilling required for his reflash.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
PCV maybe not "obsolete" , I do see the overlap, but PCV is safer and keeps the warranty in place, PCV can be removed in 5 minutes, not so with ECU flash.
So if you're going to get an ECU flash, skip PCV, but PCV is still a nice upgrade I am glad I have one.... of course, if I do get the ECU flash, I would try selling the PCV.
Reflash does not void warranty. However it is not always EPA legal depending on the state. The ECU can be flashed back to stock just as easily modified.
 
Yeah right, imagine bringing bike into dealer saying it does not run right, and your ECU has been flashed, good luck.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Yeah right, imagine bringing bike into dealer saying it does not run right, and your ECU has been flashed, good luck.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They would laugh you out of the shop.
 
Oh hell, if there are no physical adjustments to be made then it's a lot easier. TunerPro needs the database tables for the ECU to know what is what in the chip. From there, pull off the stock map and use that as a base for further tuning.

For my Griso it takes about 15 minutes to pull the map off (and only three to push a new one). Some of the testers go off on test rides and reflash in mid ride. If only the software ran on an iPad.....
 
Thread starter
Ack-CB11_imp said:
I've had it done to many bikes in the past. Yes, you can feel it. Without a PCV I don't think you can change much. If I lived in America I would have done it already :D
Unless you do track days or pick fights on the street, stock is fine.
What do you mean, "If I lived in America, I'd have done it already?"

thks!
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Yeah right, imagine bringing bike into dealer saying it does not run right, and your ECU has been flashed, good luck.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yet another misunderstanding.

Guhls will reflash your ECU back to stone stock for free if you need that done. It is as simple as pie.

If you have had your ECU reflashed and your motorcycle does not run correctly, the first step is to contact the vendor. Every reflash vendor with which I am familiar will update or correct a reflash for no charge after the initial reflash, for the life of the motorcycle.

If the problem is still unresolved and you wish to go to the dealer, just have the ECU reflashed back to stock.

This presumes the issue is with the ECU. Warranty law in most states read such that if a problem occurs in your transmission gears, for example, warranty service cannot be denied because you modified some unrelated system.

An illegal exhaust modification would have the same effect on the warranty as an ECU reflash; that would be none if the system affected was not adversely impacted by the change.

Thus if you put on a $1500 full Ti system and your brakes weren't working correctly, even though the Ti system is illegal as hell and violates every noise and emissions regulation imaginable (all whilst providing nowhere near the power and rideability improvements of a high-quality reflash), Yamaha would still have to correct your brakes.

I waited until my warranty was expired before doing the reflash, not necessarily by intention, it just worked out that way.

Factory warranties in the USA are only one year anyway.
 
Thread starter
I have the aftermarket intake and header pipes--as well as the power commander--but the shop mentioned that it is mapped for the oem parts. how does the commander deal with the aftermarket modifications? i assume it monitors and provides what the engine needs, but the map would be sort of 'off,'right?

it runs fine with the PCV map, so it's all good, right?
 
Back
Top