DLX vs. EX comparison

Bighonda14_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I owned 2014 DLX for a few years and I am considering purchasing a 2017 EX in the year or two ahead.

Can anyone who has owned both share how noticeable the updates are in the EX?

Do you notice a smoother ride with the updated suspension?

Do the LEDs make a difference?

Anything else a meaningful difference between the 2?

Thanks!
 
Bighonda14_imp said:
I owned 2014 DLX for a few years and I am considering purchasing a 2017 EX in the year or two ahead.

Can anyone who has owned both share how noticeable the updates are in the EX?

Do you notice a smoother ride with the updated suspension?

Do the LEDs make a difference?

Anything else a meaningful difference between the 2?

Thanks!
I've owned a 2014 STD, not a DLX, but the lighting and front suspension is the same (except for a slightly heavier left fork spring and the slider color). The 2017 EX definitely feels more compliant on the small bumps - I don't even think about it as I did on my 2013 and 2014.

To me, the 2017 LED headlight is not as good as the 2014 headlight, not as broadly "filling" with more dead spots. I would change mine back if the wiring weren't so complicated.
 
Bighonda14_imp said:
I owned 2014 DLX for a few years and I am considering purchasing a 2017 EX in the year or two ahead.

Can anyone who has owned both share how noticeable the updates are in the EX?

Do you notice a smoother ride with the updated suspension?

Do the LEDs make a difference?

Anything else a meaningful difference between the 2?

Thanks!
Since you owned a DLX perhaps a good review of the EX would help:

VLJ posted a while back with insightful comments


I also owned a '14 standard like PK and now have an EX. I like them both...huge differences? Not for me, but then again a $6 bottle of wine tastes the same to me as a high dollar bottle.
 
A number of members have swapped the '17 suspension on to their '13 and '14 bikes and reported being much happier.
 
Houtman_imp said:
2017 suspension in the front is better but the front LED is worse than the 2014 with an H4 bulb.
RE headlamp: Seems Honda mostly misses on LED headlamps on most of their product line card. Maybe the Gold Wing and Africa Twin are excepted, with the later often getting cited by observers as being quite bright.

The CB1100 does look classier with the incandescent arrangement.
 
Thread starter
Hey guys I really appreciate all the responses and the excellent link. I also welcome any other insights anyone wants to share! Many thanks.
 
I like LED lights in general because I like the wide field of view and the fact they last longer and use less power. Tho I didn't notice an issue with the stock headlight on my 2014 STD, I am going to replace it over the weekend with a generic LED so I'll do a video on how they compare. Hope it gives you some insight
58614902faf33b1dbd244c34a2cfaae5.jpg


Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
 
Gilstrak_imp said:
I am curious how the headlight experiment turns out. Good luck with it.
Me too. Please post how the DLX headlight can be used on the EX. Also, what are the Best, maybe easiest/brightest/ coolest looking, extra lights that would go on any of our CB1100's. thanks!
 
I, too, am very disappointed with the LED headlight performance on my 2017. I am not a lighting expert, but I think it would be fair technically to say that it sucks, big time. Also, the $600+ replacement cost of a bulb is shocking, and Honda using this contraption (they call it a headlight), is inexcusable. I would love to be able to switch it to an H4 headlight, though I have doubts this is possible. The LED bub requires lower current and the wiring is way thinner than with a halogen bulb.
 
Hmmmm, I guess I'm in the minority then because I loved the LED headlight on my '17 EX. The high beam in particular was fantastic. Very bright white light with a deep, sharp throw.

I suppose it's all relative. At the time, I was comparing it to the non-LED headlights on my XSR900 and Z900. Low beam or high beam, it didn't matter, the CB's LED headlight torched them both. I was absolutely fine with the CB's headlight.
 
Cheer up, AD! The same problem afflicts us fogeys with old-fashioned lights. :)
 
I usually don't ride at night, but I think the the LED headlight on my RS is great to be seen, but quite poor to see.

What I do like is the fast response when flashing.

Also, I don't know if one reason for it is the low consumtion of the full-LED lighting system, but even after not starting the bike (due to the virus) during at least 12 weeks, my OEM battery could start the bike with no problem.
 
jtopiso_imp said:
I usually don't ride at night, but I think the the LED headlight on my RS is great to be seen, but quite poor to see.

What I do like is the fast response when flashing.

Also, I don't know if one reason for it is the low consumtion of the full-LED lighting system, but even after not starting the bike (due to the virus) during at least 12 weeks, my OEM battery could start the bike with no problem.
(+1) For many Honda models with LED headlight.
 
Back
Top