Distinguished Gentleman's Ride 2026

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
It's that time again, when those of us who participate get all nice and dapper for the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride. 
I'm sure most of you have heard of it, but if not, it's a wonderful fund raiser for prostate cancer and men's health awareness and research. 

I've participated with my CB1100 in the Orange County, CA ride for three years, '22, '24 and '25, taking my other bikes on other years. Last year was the first time I have seen another CB1100 on the ride - surprising that in a sea of hundreds of other modern classics, I've only seen one other. 

This year, I'm going to try the L.A. ride to change things up a bit. I was thinking of taking the BMW blood bike and wearing a neon-yellow suit, but while striking to say the least, that bike doesn't really give the vintage or dapper vibe. 

Anyone else participating this year? 

Here's a shameless plug to my donation page if anyone's feeling particularly generous. No pressure, though:
https://gentlemansride.com/fundraiser/gonein60
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail_IMG_0617.webp
    thumbnail_IMG_0617.webp
    67.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2774.webp
    IMG_2774.webp
    75.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0105.webp
    IMG_0105.webp
    92.6 KB · Views: 138
Thread starter
Thank you, gentlemen! I am very happy to say that I've gotten narrower over the past three years. The picture of me in the brown vest is the oldest, from 2022.
I was thinking about taking the Blood Bike, and wearing a neon yellow suit. But, the ride really is for classic bikes, and maybe pushing the business would be somewhat pretentious. I haven't taken the Bonneville for quite a few years, and while Triumphs are like bellybuttons on the DGR, Mrs. G says that the Bonnie is sad and probably wants to go.

And, as much as I love my OC community and I like the crew that runs the OC DGR, sad to say that the organization of the ride really leaves a lot to be desired. The ride isn't big enough to warrant closing down roads or a police escort, but it's too big to manage with a few lead riders haphazardly blocking the first few intersections. Last year, I ended up in a clump of about 30 bikes who were completely lost mid-way through the ride, meandering through residential neighborhoods.

I spoke with the organizers of the L.A. ride recently at a Triumph gathering for the unveiling of the new Trident 800, and while that ride is huge, it's huge enough that riders are on closed roads with escorts. That sounds more appealing.
 
Gone, you have always been a proper, handsome gentleman. Ask your Mrs and your Mother. :)

The Forum is proud to be associated with you, and we hope you feel the love on the ride. David
 
Thread starter
rdprdp01 said:
Gone, you have always been a proper, handsome gentleman. Ask your Mrs and your Mother. :)

The Forum is proud to be associated with you, and we hope you feel the love on the ride. David

Thank you very much for the kind words and generosity, David! 

And, speaking of generosity and kindness, I would like to thank Peterbaron for a very generous donation to my efforts to forward the cause of the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride!
You are a true gentleman, sir! 

Thanks again, guys!
 
Although heavily sponsored by Triumph for many years the Daytona is not in keeping with the event!

[attachment=1248]
 

Attachments

  • It?ll have to be the CB1100EX.webp
    It?ll have to be the CB1100EX.webp
    135.4 KB · Views: 64
Thread starter
Tev, what ride will you be participating in? I'd be curious to know how many CB1100s are also on your ride. Last year was the first time I saw another on the Orange County CA ride, and mine has always been somewhat of an attention-getter, with people saying "Wow, haven't seen one of those in a long time" or "Wow, I've never actually seen one of those".

Also, one of the reasons I love the DGR is watching people's ride videos from around the world. I love seeing other places, especially as I haven't really travelled much outside the U.S. (really, really want to!), and it's an awesome view into other places.
 
Thread starter
Ha! That guy is far too distinguished than me, and a helluva lot younger too.
 
Thread starter
Thank you sir. I do try. But there are some rough edges here and there.
And I assure you that any level of sophistication or gentlemanliness is the machination of Mrs. G, who insists on proper decorum at all times.
You know, stuff like "let's eat with utensils, shall we" and whatever.
 
Thread starter
I guess the takeaway here is to marry well. Not necessarily rich, but well.
Don't marry white trash thinking you can "fix it". You cannot, trust me, I've been there.
When you are on your way to Beaumont on a Thanksgiving morning because your brother-in-law called, the drug deal went bad, they stole his clothes, and he's hiding behind a dumpster at a Shell station, that long drive will give you a lot of time to think about your life choices.

Nothing about that atmosphere will generate a sense of being a distinguished gentleman, unless you consider showing your in-laws how to put on a tie for court appearances, or your own wedding.
 
Gone in 60 said:
Thank you sir. I do try. But there are some rough edges here and there.
And I assure you that any level of sophistication or gentlemanliness is the machination of Mrs. G, who insists on proper decorum at all times.
You know, stuff like "let's eat with utensils, shall we" and whatever.

Now you have me thinking how boorishly I may have behaved when I visited!  I hope I didn't offend Mrs. G's sensibilities.  So the utensils weren't laid out for show only?
 
Thread starter
Part of being a gentleman is to accept your guests and their decorum, or lack thereof, with quiet grace and dignity.
 
Gone in 60 said:
I guess the takeaway here is to marry well. Not necessarily rich, but well.
Don't marry white trash thinking you can "fix it". You cannot, trust me, I've been there.
When you are on your way to Beaumont on a Thanksgiving morning because your brother-in-law called, the drug deal went bad, they stole his clothes, and he's hiding behind a dumpster at a Shell station, that long drive will give you a lot of time to think about your life choices.

Nothing about that atmosphere will generate a sense of being a distinguished gentleman, unless you consider showing your in-laws how to put on a tie for court appearances, or your own wedding.

As someone planning to pop the question within the next year, I thank thee for the advice  :angel:
 
Thread starter
I'm here to help.

Need to bail out one of her family members to attend the wedding? Warning sign.
Can't send an invitation to one particular uncle because you don't know where he parked his van this week? Warning sign.
Need to lend out half of your closet to your future in-laws so they have something to wear to the wedding besides shorts and t-shirts? Warning sign.

Oh, and congratulations.
I remember popping the question to Mrs. G. Went to show her dad the ring earlier that day and to get his permission, which was already implied, but still nice. I rebuilt the brakes on his Cutlass and fixed their stove and plumbing, so how was he going to do better than me?

He had some formal questions before approving.
- Confirmation that I had a job
- Confirmation that I had never been to jail
- Confirmation that I didn't have kids or a second wife stashed somewher that he didn't know about.
 
Thread starter
Hey, thank you very much to LucienLeFranc for your donation! You guys continue to amaze me with your generosity and support. It's very much appreciated.
This is truly the best group of motorcycle guys on the 'net. Thank you, sir!

And hey, LucienLeFranc and Pdedse, you both should team up and ride the Portland DGR. If I've only seen one other CB1100 in my years of participating, you'd both be stand-outs on yours. I'll bet you both clean up nice, too! Pdedse, you're a teacher, you probably have a tweed jacket in the closet somewhere...
 
Back
Top