Distinguished Dog's Ride

Paul_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Exciting.

I really am enthusiast.
In less than 2 months something big is going to happen in my life.
Yes, the title gives it up. I will welcome a puppy. A Schipperke puppy.





But why on earth am I talking about this here?
I want it all: A dog and a CB1100.

The legitimate following question is: HOW? How am I going to do that?
I already did some research (Bagster tank bag Friendly, T Bag for dogs, hard cases, back packs...).
So far, I am not convinced. The best I think is the tank bag, but I don't want to put a bagster carpet on my CB... I have seen one like this in Paris and god that is not what I want!

If one of you has any experience with riding with a dog, the advices are most welcome!!
 
My brother toured New England and Nova Scotia with his Caryn Terrier in a dog kennel attached to the rear rack of his Kawasaki 1000.

Personally I cant imagine subjecting a dog to the leaning of a motorcyle. Seems to me that would have to be unsettling and scary for them, but I know people do it. They even make goggles (doggles) for them.
 
Those doggy backpacks work well for it, provided they have the right temperment. I rode around with my Brittany Spaniel puppies when they were little (not both at once) and they were a bit slow to warm up, but eventually loved it. Now sadly to big to go as passengers...

36be97fda79eb16c7fe19d795c70e6bc.jpg
 
I've seen a dog carried around in a tail pack. As I recall, it was able to poke it's head out.
 
Thread starter
I have seen someone teaching his dog at 2 and a half month to ride.

And from what I have seen most dogs enjoy it and rush to the motorcycle as soon as they feel that we will leave.

The dog kennel on the rear rack is a good option. Easy and confortable and all but your dog can not really see you and you cant see him.

The tank bag made for dog is another good option. The dog is confortable, in front of you so you can interact. But I would need the bagster carpet that I want to avoid.

Back pack is really convenient but only for small rides and more importantly I don't feel comfortable at all having an accident with the dog attached on me. The top of the tank and the top of the rack are way less easy to damage... Sadly, this is to consider.

Side car and tail carriage are just too expensive and my dog will not be that big.

So I am stuck, if only I could find a magnetic tank bag made for dog...

Good thing is the doogle and helmets are easy to find :thumbsup:

 
I tried the dog / canoe combo. Five minutes in, the dog is swimming. A few minutes of trying to wrestle the dog back in the canoe, I'm swimming. End of canoe trip. No wife, no trouble.

Many years later, new dog, new kayaks, same poor judgment. Me and dog on one, wife on the other. This lasted ten minutes, then dog is swimming. Then wife panics, then she is swimming. Then she is yelling, at which point I'm in trouble (don't know why), so I jump in and start swimming too.

My wife tried the dog / bicycle combo with a basket on the handlebars. Five minutes in, dog takes a flying leap, followed by a graceless tumble, followed by wife in graceless tumble. I didn't tumble, but still got in trouble. Seems to be a pattern.

I'm not stupid enough to try dog / motorcycle combo. I'm already in trouble without adding that to the list.
 
We had a member once who referred to his bike (not a CB1100) as a dog sled.
 
Thread starter
After quite a bit of time, here is the solution chosen (here on my Kawa)
I rode a few time before winter and she enjoys the ride a lot!

The nicest part in all that is to give a smile to everyone in the street.

 
Nice. It's good to hear that she enjoys it. Too many times our little friends don't share our passion.

Years ago I took my police partner, a 100lb German Shepherd K9 boating with me and my father. We went slowly up a nearby river. He spent the whole trip sitting at the rear of the boat with his legs far apart and a worried look on his face like he wasn't sure about his footing. (Just about all K9s are completely fearless and worry-free) At one point we were going very slowly and very close to shore. He suddenly jumped out of the boat and waded to the riverbank and sat down and stared at us, as if to say- "Have a nice ride, but I'll wait here for you"
There's also trailers.
And no, my wife still remembers the boating story and won't let me try it with our current German Shepherd.


 
I am pretty sure I saved this picture from this website.

[attachment=6083]

I e-mailed it to my sister-in-law with the title "I have a biker that wants to meet you." She was looking for a puppy at that time.
 
Thread starter
Haha! Yes they are classy!

It's nice to see that I am not the only crazy owner of a CB with a dog passenger :)
 
Just saw a photo on another forum where someone had modified a top box by cutting a hole in the top and wrapping some plexiglas to make a "windshield" for his dog. Stable mount.
 
Back
Top