Pterodactyl_imp
Road warrior
Glad you got that sorted.
Cheers
Cheers
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

).I had the same problem with my old '09 Vulcan 900 Custom. One time I had just taken it off the Battery Tender and rode to the gas station before I went on a ride and it barely turned over when I went to re-start it. I got it home and checked the battery voltage and charging system, and did a load test by connecting the meter and starting it. The voltage went below 9v which is not good at all, so I had to get a new battery. When you buy a new battery (if you have to fill it, that is) be sure to use a good battery charger to charge it. A Battery Tender doesn't have enough "oomph" to properly charge the new battery.Flynrider_imp said:It's definitely the battery. I went out to the garage late last night and checked the voltage on the battery. It was down to 12.4V, not a good sign. I turned the key and the light looked bright, so I hit the starter and it started right up. Being suspicious, I immediately killed the engine by cycling the kill switch and tried to start it a second time. No go. It behaved just like it had at the post office. Bottom line, this particular failure mode gives you absolutely no clue that it's about to die. The start previous to the failure seemed normal in every respect (i.e. no slow cranking or dim lights).
When I pulled out the battery, I was stunned by how small it is. It's only about half the size of the battery in my CB750.
In looking at replacements I saw prices ranging from $170 (Yuasa) to $70 (name i never heard of) delivered for the AGM battery.
The most popular lithium ion variant is $99 delivered. Pros are that it's 5.7 lbs. lighter, not as heat sensitive, more cranking amps (290 vs. 220) and has a built in capacity gauge and tester (a big plus). Cons are that I have zero experience with these types, so I'm relying on a few hundred Internet reviews going back about 7 years.
Given my experience with the small AGM stock battery (not good), I've decided to try out the lithium ion. Ordered it this morning and it should be here by Thursday. At the very least, with it's built in gauge, this battery will tell me if it's dying an early death.
Ugggggg - I'm guilty of the kill switch mistake!Pterodactyl_imp said:At the post office did you use the kill switch and leave the ignition (and lights) ON? It's been done before (once by me, for instance). A push start and twelve months down the track my four year old battery is still good.
Cheers
Ugggggg - I'm guilty of the kill switch mistake!Hedge_imp said:Ugggggg - I'm guilty of the kill switch mistake!Pterodactyl_imp said:At the post office did you use the kill switch and leave the ignition (and lights) ON? It's been done before (once by me, for instance). A push start and twelve months down the track my four year old battery is still good.
Cheers
I enlisted a whole forum trying to troubleshoot it until some sage suggested I take a look at the kill switch position . . . :-/Rboe_imp said:On my old Quota the tank bag, at full turn would either blow the horn (Happens on the Griso now) or trip the kill switch - first time that happened it was very embarrassing after enlisting the aid of a ton of people.
I enlisted a whole forum trying to troubleshoot it until some sage suggested I take a look at the kill switch position . . . :-/Hedge_imp said:I enlisted a whole forum trying to troubleshoot it until some sage suggested I take a look at the kill switch position . . . :-/Rboe_imp said:On my old Quota the tank bag, at full turn would either blow the horn (Happens on the Griso now) or trip the kill switch - first time that happened it was very embarrassing after enlisting the aid of a ton of people.