Different engines and pipes?

ride4now_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I bought my 1100 last week in Clearwater, Fl. It has what
I believed was standard... blacked out engine and 'goldish'
colored header pipes. This weekend at the dealership in
Roswell, Ga. I peaked in the window on Sunday (why are
only HD dealers open on Sunday?), and saw a CB1100 on the
floor with what appeared to be a non-blacked out engine
and chrome header pipes. What's the deal?
 
The pipes are 'chrome' til heated. Single wall pipes will change colors once heats rolls thru them. Your Harley's exhaust is double walled which is why it's all shiney. And, Harley dealerships are the only ones open on Sundays because they dont have good sense. More about posing than riding.
 
ride4now_imp said:
I bought my 1100 last week in Clearwater, Fl. It has what
I believed was standard... blacked out engine and 'goldish'
colored header pipes. This weekend at the dealership in
Roswell, Ga. I peaked in the window on Sunday (why are
only HD dealers open on Sunday?), and saw a CB1100 on the
floor with what appeared to be a non-blacked out engine
and chrome header pipes. What's the deal?
Not sure about the engine paint but those header pipes are the same stainless steel ones on every CB1100, they just haven't been heated up to produce the gold color.
 
The only models I've seen without a blacked out engine were for the Japanese and Australian markets. Unlikely that anyone would import one though. It would cost twice as much just to get it past the EPA and DOT.

I suppose if someone wanted to be different they could painstakingly remove the black paint from the engine.
 
The first ones I saw pictures and videos of on the internet had silver engines, which I still think I like the best, was a little surprised to find the ones I saw in person and bought have the black engine area.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
The first ones I saw pictures and videos of on the internet had silver engines, which I still think I like the best, was a little surprised to find the ones I saw in person and bought have the black engine area.
Strangely, the black engine is US only, the silver is everywhere but here. I prefer the unpainted engine also.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the comments...but I don't know. My bike had
.1 miles on the clock when I bought it and those pipes
were the same color then as now. As far as the good sense...
I'm in retail myself and Sunday is only second to Saturday
in terms of sales per hour. Seems to me that the HD
dealers might be smarter business people...
 
Not all HD dealers are open on Sunday.
The local dealer is not. The dealer 25 miles away (same owner) is open.
It has to do with the dealership operating agreement with HD. The one that is open is 15 years newer than the one that is not. Sunday opening is mandated in the agreement.
 
ride4now_imp said:
Thanks for the comments...but I don't know. My bike had
.1 miles on the clock when I bought it and those pipes
were the same color then as now. As far as the good sense...
I'm in retail myself and Sunday is only second to Saturday
in terms of sales per hour. Seems to me that the HD
dealers might be smarter business people...
Really? Your retail business is arranging $25k+ loans with creditors/banks on Sundays? Neither is HD. Its the same reason most Car Dealerships arent open on Sundays. They're not selling bikes on Sundays .. they're giving the posers a place to socialize .. oh, and selling T-shirts.

The closed on Mondays is the only baffling thing to me .. like barbershops. Guess they want 2days off a week.
 
Bonafide_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
Thanks for the comments...but I don't know. My bike had
.1 miles on the clock when I bought it and those pipes
were the same color then as now. As far as the good sense...
I'm in retail myself and Sunday is only second to Saturday
in terms of sales per hour. Seems to me that the HD
dealers might be smarter business people...
Really? Your retail business is arranging $25k+ loans with creditors/banks on Sundays? Neither is HD. Its the same reason most Car Dealerships arent open on Sundays. They're not selling bikes on Sundays .. they're giving the posers a place to socialize .. oh, and selling T-shirts.

The closed on Mondays is the only baffling thing to me .. like barbershops. Guess they want 2days off a week.
Really? Your retail business is arranging $25k+ loans with creditors/banks on Sundays? Neither is HD. Its the same reason most Car Dealerships arent open on Sundays. They're not selling bikes on Sundays .. they're giving the posers a place to socialize .. oh, and selling T-shirts.

The closed on Mondays is the only baffling thing to me .. like barbershops. Guess they want 2days off a week.
Last I heard, H-D has their own financing branch. Are you sure they aren't selling bikes on Sunday there? When my girlfriend gets done at the MSF course at the local HD stealer 2 Sundays from now, I'll let you know if they try to get her to buy a bike. I'm sure you're right; even if she's interested, they'll probably tell her to come back on Monday. :rolleyes:
 
Thread starter
Gypped_imp said:
Bonafide_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
Thanks for the comments...but I don't know. My bike had
.1 miles on the clock when I bought it and those pipes
were the same color then as now. As far as the good sense...
I'm in retail myself and Sunday is only second to Saturday
in terms of sales per hour. Seems to me that the HD
dealers might be smarter business people...
Really? Your retail business is arranging $25k+ loans with creditors/banks on Sundays? Neither is HD. Its the same reason most Car Dealerships arent open on Sundays. They're not selling bikes on Sundays .. they're giving the posers a place to socialize .. oh, and selling T-shirts.

The closed on Mondays is the only baffling thing to me .. like barbershops. Guess they want 2days off a week.
Really? Your retail business is arranging $25k+ loans with creditors/banks on Sundays? Neither is HD. Its the same reason most Car Dealerships arent open on Sundays. They're not selling bikes on Sundays .. they're giving the posers a place to socialize .. oh, and selling T-shirts.

The closed on Mondays is the only baffling thing to me .. like barbershops. Guess they want 2days off a week.
Last I heard, H-D has their own financing branch. Are you sure they aren't selling bikes on Sunday there? When my girlfriend gets done at the MSF course at the local HD stealer 2 Sundays from now, I'll let you know if they try to get her to buy a bike. I'm sure you're right; even if she's interested, they'll probably tell her to come back on Monday. :rolleyes:
Really? Your retail business is arranging $25k+ loans with creditors/banks on Sundays? Neither is HD. Its the same reason most Car Dealerships arent open on Sundays. They're not selling bikes on Sundays .. they're giving the posers a place to socialize .. oh, and selling T-shirts.

The closed on Mondays is the only baffling thing to me .. like barbershops. Guess they want 2days off a week.
Last I heard, H-D has their own financing branch. Are you sure they aren't selling bikes on Sunday there? When my girlfriend gets done at the MSF course at the local HD stealer 2 Sundays from now, I'll let you know if they try to get her to buy a bike. I'm sure you're right; even if she's interested, they'll probably tell her to come back on Monday. :rolleyes:
I bought my Harley at Killer Creek HD in Roswell, Ga. back in 2004 on a Sunday...and financed it. Road it home that afternoon...
 
Bonafide_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
Thanks for the comments...but I don't know. My bike had
.1 miles on the clock when I bought it and those pipes
were the same color then as now. As far as the good sense...
I'm in retail myself and Sunday is only second to Saturday
in terms of sales per hour. Seems to me that the HD
dealers might be smarter business people...
Really? Your retail business is arranging $25k+ loans with creditors/banks on Sundays? Neither is HD. Its the same reason most Car Dealerships arent open on Sundays. They're not selling bikes on Sundays .. they're giving the posers a place to socialize .. oh, and selling T-shirts.

The closed on Mondays is the only baffling thing to me .. like barbershops. Guess they want 2days off a week.
Gentlemen,

Bashing H-D riders and dealerships is counterproductive. Many of us own and ride multiple bikes including Harleys. I was a General Motors, KIA, and Lotus dealer in AZ for 25 years, open every Sunday, and yes we sold, financed, and delivered thousands of cars on Sunday over that time span. The biggest HD dealer in Arizona is one of my best friends (Buddy Stubbs) and his two dealerships deliver financed bikes on Sunday to buyers with good credit. Credit checks can be run 24-7 every day of the year and I knew with certainty which loans I could get approved and safely deliver a car (or bike) on weekends or at night. Sunday was one of our best sales days and it is for Arizona Harley Davidson as well. And FWIW, about half of all bike sales don't even involve financing. As far as HD dealerships opening on Sundays to give "posers" a place to hang out, good grief. If you had any idea how expensive it is to open and staff a dealership every day, you wouldn't make that comment. A ton of merchandise and bike sales need to be made to justify opening on any day of the week. New HD dealerships cost over 5 million dollars to build and that's just the beginning. Here in AZ the Honda dealers are open on Sunday as well. Finally, a lot of Honda riders put very few miles on their bikes. Are they posers? As I type this I'm in the middle of a 1600 mile road trip on my HD. That's a lot of posing in 5 days. The average HD rider puts more miles on his bike every year than the average Honda rider. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. I love all motorcycles and riders. They all wave as we pass out on the road no matter what brand they are on. All the best.

Chip
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
Bonafide_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
Thanks for the comments...but I don't know. My bike had
.1 miles on the clock when I bought it and those pipes
were the same color then as now. As far as the good sense...
I'm in retail myself and Sunday is only second to Saturday
in terms of sales per hour. Seems to me that the HD
dealers might be smarter business people...
Really? Your retail business is arranging $25k+ loans with creditors/banks on Sundays? Neither is HD. Its the same reason most Car Dealerships arent open on Sundays. They're not selling bikes on Sundays .. they're giving the posers a place to socialize .. oh, and selling T-shirts.

The closed on Mondays is the only baffling thing to me .. like barbershops. Guess they want 2days off a week.
Gentlemen,

Bashing H-D riders and dealerships is counterproductive. Many of us own and ride multiple bikes including Harleys. I was a General Motors, KIA, and Lotus dealer in AZ for 25 years, open every Sunday, and yes we sold, financed, and delivered thousands of cars on Sunday over that time span. The biggest HD dealer in Arizona is one of my best friends (Buddy Stubbs) and his two dealerships deliver financed bikes on Sunday to buyers with good credit. Credit checks can be run 24-7 every day of the year and I knew with certainty which loans I could get approved and safely deliver a car (or bike) on weekends or at night. Sunday was one of our best sales days and it is for Arizona Harley Davidson as well. And FWIW, about half of all bike sales don't even involve financing. As far as HD dealerships opening on Sundays to give "posers" a place to hang out, good grief. If you had any idea how expensive it is to open and staff a dealership every day, you wouldn't make that comment. A ton of merchandise and bike sales need to be made to justify opening on any day of the week. New HD dealerships cost over 5 million dollars to build and that's just the beginning. Here in AZ the Honda dealers are open on Sunday as well. Finally, a lot of Honda riders put very few miles on their bikes. Are they posers? As I type this I'm in the middle of a 1600 mile road trip on my HD. That's a lot of posing in 5 days. The average HD rider puts more miles on his bike every year than the average Honda rider. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. I love all motorcycles and riders. They all wave as we pass out on the road no matter what brand they are on. All the best.

Chip
Gentlemen,

Bashing H-D riders and dealerships is counterproductive. Many of us own and ride multiple bikes including Harleys. I was a General Motors, KIA, and Lotus dealer in AZ for 25 years, open every Sunday, and yes we sold, financed, and delivered thousands of cars on Sunday over that time span. The biggest HD dealer in Arizona is one of my best friends (Buddy Stubbs) and his two dealerships deliver financed bikes on Sunday to buyers with good credit. Credit checks can be run 24-7 every day of the year and I knew with certainty which loans I could get approved and safely deliver a car (or bike) on weekends or at night. Sunday was one of our best sales days and it is for Arizona Harley Davidson as well. And FWIW, about half of all bike sales don't even involve financing. As far as HD dealerships opening on Sundays to give "posers" a place to hang out, good grief. If you had any idea how expensive it is to open and staff a dealership every day, you wouldn't make that comment. A ton of merchandise and bike sales need to be made to justify opening on any day of the week. New HD dealerships cost over 5 million dollars to build and that's just the beginning. Here in AZ the Honda dealers are open on Sunday as well. Finally, a lot of Honda riders put very few miles on their bikes. Are they posers? As I type this I'm in the middle of a 1600 mile road trip on my HD. That's a lot of posing in 5 days. The average HD rider puts more miles on his bike every year than the average Honda rider. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. I love all motorcycles and riders. They all wave as we pass out on the road no matter what brand they are on. All the best.

Chip

Well said! Ride safe and keep the shiny side UP... whatever
you ride.
 
Lots of car dealers are open on Sunday here. I really never thought about it, but how do they do financing on Sunday? Aren't the banks closed? Just curious.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Lots of car dealers are open on Sunday here. I really never thought about it, but how do they do financing on Sunday? Aren't the banks closed? Just curious.
Popgun,

The same information that the banks use to determine if they will approve a loan are also available to dealers 24 hours a day VIA the three main credit rating agencies. Dealership finance managers know which loans will definitely be approved and they will deliver those customers on the spot. They know which loans don't have a prayer in hell as well and they definitely wont deliver those. The "maybe" loans are usually not delivered on new bikes where putting miles on them would hurt their value if it must be brought back but on a used bike the dealer might deliver the customer so he wont go buy something else. About half of all new cars and bikes are delivered during evenings and on weekends when banks are closed. Now you know.

Chip
 
Here in Indiana it is still illegal for dealers to sell vehicles on Sundays, one of the few remaining "Blue Laws". Some Harley dealers are open, but they have a huge inventory of merchandise other than the bikes. Most other dealers are closed on Monday as well, but I thought that was because the BMV is closed on Monday as well.
 
Thanks Chip.

Learn something new all the time! :)
 
Back
Top