differences CB/s

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I've been reading the history thread, and there the "a little history" post. And I am sure it got covered somewhere in the forum, but I can't find it. Would anybody have an extensive list of changes which occurred between the original model released (in the US in 2013), and the 2017 EX ?

I am aware of the following changes
- tank size & shape / seats
- colors and wheels
- display unit between the round instruments
- some with or without ABS (anti-lock brakes)

Have there been any other significant modifications between these two landmark years ? Ideal would be a side-by-side table with specs/changes . I am not interested in country specific models like the RS which came later.

Thanks
 
Is there a 2017 DLX? AFAIK they only had an EX? The DLX trim was definitely a thing for the 2013 and 2014 models at least in America.
 
DLX was the designation for the 2014 model with ABS, a larger tank, dual exhausts sent to the US. It differed slightly from the ‘EX’ designated bikes that went to Europe, Japan and elsewhere. There was no ‘EX’ or ‘DLX’ prior to 2014.
 
Thread starter
I see I have to try again in a different way ...
Would anybody know of any other differences between a CB sold in 2013 and a CB sold in 2017 but the following

- tank size & shape / seats
- colors and wheels
- display unit / dash between the two round instruments
- some with or without ABS (anti-lock brakes)

?
 
Other differences are:

-5 versus 6 speed gear box.
4 in 1 exhaust system versus 4 in 2
- Combined Break System versus this left out.

The differences are in Germany/Europe. Maybe in USA too.

Wisedrum
 
I may be wrong, but I believe that in addition to the differences you already listed, there is a difference in:

- 2013: 5-speed vs 2017: 6-speed
- 2013: halogen lights vs 2017: LED lights
- 2017: assist slipper clutch
- 2017: lighter & shorter exhaust
- 2017: the gastank is not only different in shape, it also has a more modern filler cap.
 
or too

in europe we know the 2013 ( like the standard)
IN 2014 came here in europe the EX ( or the us- DLX but with spokes) ...and in 2017 the new style EX and the RS.....

for example are the rims-weehls/ spokes too diffrent from 2014 and 2017 EX

between 2013 and EX 2014/17... 1-2 engine sidecovers are nomore plastic....
 
Thread starter
bioman_imp said:
I may be wrong, but I believe that in addition to the differences you already listed, there is a difference in:

- 2013: 5-speed vs 2017: 6-speed
- 2013: halogen lights vs 2017: LED lights
- 2017: assist slipper clutch
- 2017: lighter & shorter exhaust
- 2017: the gastank is not only different in shape, it also has a more modern filler cap.
Thanks bio, this is exactly what I was looking for. And now that I see it (again) I think you are right. Why do I ask ? I consider buying a "less valuable" 2nd hand CB for a long trip next year, and leave my brand new EX in the garage. Later at some point, this 2013 might become my source for spare parts, that's where the differences matter.
 
2013: 4 into 1 v 2107 4 into 2
2017: improved front forks
 
j3gq_imp said:
bioman_imp said:
I may be wrong, but I believe that in addition to the differences you already listed, there is a difference in:

- 2013: 5-speed vs 2017: 6-speed
- 2013: halogen lights vs 2017: LED lights
- 2017: assist slipper clutch
- 2017: lighter & shorter exhaust
- 2017: the gastank is not only different in shape, it also has a more modern filler cap.
Thanks bio, this is exactly what I was looking for. And now that I see it (again) I think you are right. Why do I ask ? I consider buying a "less valuable" 2nd hand CB for a long trip next year, and leave my brand new EX in the garage. Later at some point, this 2013 might become my source for spare parts, that's where the differences matter.
Thanks bio, this is exactly what I was looking for. And now that I see it (again) I think you are right. Why do I ask ? I consider buying a "less valuable" 2nd hand CB for a long trip next year, and leave my brand new EX in the garage. Later at some point, this 2013 might become my source for spare parts, that's where the differences matter. I have an older 5 speed, and although I believe that what is done for the latter models is an improvement, I don't think that the older models are inferior just because of the halogen lights, traditional clutch and one less gear. 5 speed is happy to run along the highway on 4500rpm at 130-140kmh, the long gearing absolutely removes the necessity for rev-matching (unless you slip into 1st gear on downshifting by mistake - ask me how I know
1e03bcbadf07a38366e4b1bd3cc97e78.png
7e7eaf88431124bf4dd8b069cf91132f.png
) and the lights, well, they are a cheap fix, and as we learned from other threads on the forum - not a great one.
As far as using a older bike for touring, I presume so you wouldn't put too many miles on the new one, in my opinion, beats the purpose of having a new bike to begin with, you didn't buy it to sit in the garage, did you? Just get out there and let it do what it does best - ride

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
Interesting answer, tod, appreciate.
I agree with you, any CB is good, and certainly good enough for me. The changes over time only matter if I do later scavenger the older one for parts.

See, I bought a brand new CB for the rides, but at least as much for owning this really beautiful piece of design and engineering for a long time. And I like my "stuff" in good shape. I don't want her to get ruined in a place where the streets aren't as good, trucks throw parts of their tires up in the air, with sand all over her, or the parking at night is a serious risk. Of course I could buy another model for the trip, a cheaper tourer, but I like to stick with one type of bike for my rides - it's all about currency.

I am also pretty sure that sooner or later it will become diffcult to source spares for the CB1100. Just look at Samurider, the problem starts here and now. And after my dirt trip or trips, the bike won't hurt in my garage.
 
Rear Axle Mr. Houtman.

Also the 13s do not have the serial data communications line.
 
Houtman_imp said:
I often get the front and the rear of things mixed up .... Sorry about that .
:rofl: :beerchug:
 
Back
Top