Didn't really want to, but...

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Decided to move on from my CB1100. Two years ago I was trying to decide between an MG V7, the CB1100 and the at-that-time all new Triumph Street Twin. I decided on the CB1100 Standard '14 because it was selling for an awesome price, and the Triumph was still a few months from arriving. Honda's reliability reputation was a big plus too.

Well, it grew on me and I came to really like it, but I'm one of the unlucky few to experience the high/low idle issue. I think I gave it a fair shot, and may have even found the trouble spot. The last 8 rides of 1/2 hour to two hours plus produced no problems.

Then I stopped in at the Triumph dealership, and there was the Street Twin, end of year price at $7995. No taxes in Oregon. No dealer setup/freight. No interest loan for 4 years. 500 mile first service free...even a green Triumph t-shirt. They offered me $4600 for the CB1100. Not the best, but...it needed valve inspection, the battery was 2 years old and maybe another 2 as the bike sat boxed up, had nearly 11,000 miles on the original tires, was due for oil/filter change. Seemed like the right time to pull the trigger as I was still unsure of the long-term idle issue with the CB1100.

Exciting to get a new bike that had interested me from awhile back, but I have to admit, sorry to let the CB go at the same time. I'll enjoy the Stree Twin for a year or two and then re-evaluate.

By that time maybe the CB1100RS blue or gold will be sold in the U.S. and maybe MSRP prices will plummet like they did for the '14 Standard, prolly not so much though.

Thanks again to those that run this site! Very well run and much appreciated.

BTW: I have a set of the LMAR8A-9S NGK spark plugs for sale. Jegs is currently selling them for $9, but I got them on sale for under $5 each. You know where to look.
 
I'll take the plugs. I just sent you a PM. Call, text or PM me. We all expect to hear about your antics and reviews on the new ride too.

Jerry
 
The Twin has a cam coming out soon that will add (claimed) 30 hp! That bike should be a hoot with 80ish HP if the frame can handle it. Prolly need a brake upgrade too.

Good luck with the new Triumph.

Report back with your experience.
 
I very much enjoyed my 2012 Triumph Bonneville.
Excellent build quality.
Hope you enjoy your Triumph!
 
pdedse_imp said:
Decided to move on from my CB1100. Two years ago I was trying to decide between an MG V7, the CB1100 and the at-that-time all new Triumph Street Twin. I decided on the CB1100 Standard '14 because it was selling for an awesome price, and the Triumph was still a few months from arriving. Honda's reliability reputation was a big plus too.

Well, it grew on me and I came to really like it, but I'm one of the unlucky few to experience the high/low idle issue. I think I gave it a fair shot, and may have even found the trouble spot. The last 8 rides of 1/2 hour to two hours plus produced no problems.

Then I stopped in at the Triumph dealership, and there was the Street Twin, end of year price at $7995. No taxes in Oregon. No dealer setup/freight. No interest loan for 4 years. 500 mile first service free...even a green Triumph t-shirt. They offered me $4600 for the CB1100. Not the best, but...it needed valve inspection, the battery was 2 years old and maybe another 2 as the bike sat boxed up, had nearly 11,000 miles on the original tires, was due for oil/filter change. Seemed like the right time to pull the trigger as I was still unsure of the long-term idle issue with the CB1100.

Exciting to get a new bike that had interested me from awhile back, but I have to admit, sorry to let the CB go at the same time. I'll enjoy the Stree Twin for a year or two and then re-evaluate.

By that time maybe the CB1100RS blue or gold will be sold in the U.S. and maybe MSRP prices will plummet like they did for the '14 Standard, prolly not so much though.

Thanks again to those that run this site! Very well run and much appreciated.

BTW: I have a set of the LMAR8A-9S NGK spark plugs for sale. Jegs is currently selling them for $9, but I got them on sale for under $5 each. You know where to look.
That's pretty much where I'm at. Picked up a Street Twin this summer. It is a truly excellent motorcycle. Does everything well, fun to ride, easy to handle. Not quite the superslab bike the CB1100 is but agile, sounds great, easy to maintain. Pick up that Dealertool to reset the maintenance and cycle the ABS, etcetera.

I liked the CB1100 and as I've mentioned I'm keeping my eyes open for a 2017 or perhaps if Honda bring the RS to the States, one of those.

As far as that cam goes, if you wanted 80 HP, you would want to buy the Thruxton or T120. The Street Twin/Cup frame cannot handle much more power. Had my Street Cup for a year, about 5500 miles on it now, and it can flex. The 54 HP (yes, that is crankshaft lol) is just what it can take.
 
Thread starter
Bheezy27403_imp said:
The Twin has a cam coming out soon that will add (claimed) 30 hp! That bike should be a hoot with 80ish HP if the frame can handle it. Prolly need a brake upgrade too.

Good luck with the new Triumph.

Report back with your experience.
Whether the frame can handle 30 hp more or not, I probably wouldn't! : ) It seems to have plenty-o-power as is.

Thanks for well-wishes here. I know that I'll miss aspects of the CB1100. I've told myself that worse case scenario should I not like the Street Twin that much, I can come back in two years for a new or used CB.

Here it is in my drive before the 2" of snow hit Christmas Eve day.
f306bf9558f98d34c04a4a2a54cfaf52.jpg


Take care folks; if you're in the Portland/Gresham area, don't be afraid to holler.
 
I also picked up a Triumph at closeout pricing, good bikes. Although I added a sidecar to mine I rode it a bit prior to the conversion on the same roads I ride my CB and can definitely notice the differences in power, weight, and handling. Briefly considered adding the sidecar to the Honda rather than the Triumph but decided to stick with my original plan which was based a lot on the 'classic look' I was aiming for.

Enjoy your new bike.
 
I was able to pick up my 2014 cb1100 brand new for $6999 Oct 24 2917. I wasn't looking for another bike but the 10,000 miles on a air cooled Honda story, plus the great price got me back in the saddle. I spend mid-July through Oct flyfishing for salmon in Ak. April into July is going to be bike time once again. I really like my cb1100 even though I don't have 100 miles on it yet.
 
Good for you pdedse. I hope you enjoy the new bike. Stick around here and keep us up to date with your riding adventures.
 
nhawk7504_imp said:
Those are nice machines too. Traction control. Slipper clutch. All kinds of add ons.
Righto, the TC works well enough but quite abrupt, just enough to keep you out of serious trouble. ABS works very well, you can hardly feel it activating. Very high threshold especially with good rubber.

Superlight clutch feel on the Triumph but I am not sure it has a slipper feature. I've never felt it kick yet. Every machine I have with a slipper or slip/grip clutch, at lease every once in a blue moon, it'll kick. The lever just sort of "jumps" a bit so you know it's working. Maybe a few milliseconds at most. Never sensed it on the Street Cup and have ridden that same as GSX-R 750 on occasion, it downshifts beautifully at high rpm with a quick blip. Sounds pretty good too lol!

So, great safety tech package there on the Triumph.
pdedse_imp said:
Bheezy27403_imp said:
The Twin has a cam coming out soon that will add (claimed) 30 hp! That bike should be a hoot with 80ish HP if the frame can handle it. Prolly need a brake upgrade too.

Good luck with the new Triumph.

Report back with your experience.
Whether the frame can handle 30 hp more or not, I probably wouldn't! : ) It seems to have plenty-o-power as is.

Thanks for well-wishes here. I know that I'll miss aspects of the CB1100. I've told myself that worse case scenario should I not like the Street Twin that much, I can come back in two years for a new or used CB.

Here it is in my drive before the 2" of snow hit Christmas Eve day.
f306bf9558f98d34c04a4a2a54cfaf52.jpg


Take care folks; if you're in the Portland/Gresham area, don't be afraid to holler.
Whether the frame can handle 30 hp more or not, I probably wouldn't! : ) It seems to have plenty-o-power as is.

Thanks for well-wishes here. I know that I'll miss aspects of the CB1100. I've told myself that worse case scenario should I not like the Street Twin that much, I can come back in two years for a new or used CB.

Here it is in my drive before the 2" of snow hit Christmas Eve day.
3e2eae7dfd920452235beceb458a0468.jpg


Take care folks; if you're in the Portland/Gresham area, don't be afraid to holler. lol, that's funny, almost bought that exact model, but went with the black. Yep you will miss your CB but that's how it goes. Let's see if the RS comes out.

Torque and power are really well-matched to the frame and wheels. It gets away from a stoplight really well, huh! 59 lbs-ft (crankshaft lol).
 
Back
Top