Did you own a CB 750 in the past?

cooldrum_imp said:
The CB750 changed everything for the motorcycle industry. Who could have imagined a bike with all those features back in 1969 that was mass produced at an affordable price? I do ride my K4 (1974 CB 750). You really can't compare it to our newer CB's. The leap of technology has made bikes more efficient at what they do. But, the feeling I get when riding each bike is a rush of contentment and appreciation about the design. Nothing sounds like a well tuned in line four on the road. The same can be said about twin motors too. I kept my first Honda, a '67 305 Scrambler and I still ride it today. It's not the speed these days for me, but the very essence of a motor doing its thing moving me down the road that I find amazing to this day. Here's the story on my 305
Please note: I am not promoting myself or this channel, just sharing my story. Thanks
Yup, I remember that. A great flick.

Agreed! :thumbsup:
 
olafurarason_imp said:
olafurarason_imp said:
Well, I have CB750 K0 1970 right now.
Reminds me of my 1971 K1 in the same colors. I used it and abused it, my every day ride, then roadracing in stock form, ending up finally open super stock 1,000 cc and stiffened frame and swingarm. It finally threw a connecting rod after too many high rpm races.
My CB 1100 has about the same power, and handles and stops much better. My Suzuki GSX S1000 (completely stock) is at another level, amazing how much motorcycles have improved.
 
I had a 1976 CB750F that I acquired when it was a year old and had 4000 miles. HUGE upgrade from the Yamaha 80 I had in high school about 1968. The CB750 was traded for a 1978 Suzuki GS750E that was a better bike than the Honda. Many years and 29 motorcycles later, I bought a 2014 Deluxe with 5800 miles. Super bike that had no issues in the 2 years I had it. It's weight(570 lb) was what convinced me to find something lighter. I'm 71 and am now a firm believer in 400 lb bikes. Guzzi V7 III special, BMW R100R and Yamaha SR400.
 
I keep the CB 1100 because I like to look at it, and ride it.
Is that a BMW R100R, or a BMW R1000R? I'd like to compare the R1000R with my GSX S1000
I wish you were closer to So. Calif, we could do a ride and switch bikes half way.
I turned 80 last year, so I do not ride crazy, fast but not crazy.
Crashed on the track a few times, but never on the street, been riding since the 70's
 
emullick_imp said:
I keep the CB 1100 because I like to look at it, and ride it.
Is that a BMW R100R, or a BMW R1000R? I'd like to compare the R1000R with my GSX S1000
I wish you were closer to So. Calif, we could do a ride and switch bikes half way.
I turned 80 last year, so I do not ride crazy, fast but not crazy.
Crashed on the track a few times, but never on the street, been riding since the 70's
Never heard of a BMW R10000R. Given that he also mentioned an SR400, I'm figuring that he really is interested in old-school bikes that are light.

For Raceman, I have both the SR400 and the R100R. The SR400 is a ton of fun and I really like it, but for me anyway, it's a tool-around on back roads or city surface streets sort of bike. The R100R is the pinnacle of BMW airheads (in my view) and can be used to tour across the world if you wanted to. Entirely different bikes. The R100R is mid 400s, so falls in that middle range to me. It's very comfortable to ride. The only ergonomic complaint (that is pretty universal for anybody who has one) is the side stand. It's pretty much useless in that it's impossible to extend while on the bike. If one is mobility limited, the drill of getting off of the bike before deploying the stand (at that point you may as well use the center stand in any case) is something that needs to be solved with a modification to the stand. If you can find a decent example of an R100R to ride, I'd highly recommend it.



 
I bought the V7 III Guzzi new Jan18 and the R100R Nov 19. Still have both of them. They are similar but each unique in their own way. The R100R is the best of the Airheads and is a forever bike. Put new Battlax BT46 tires on both of them in the last couple weeks. I found the SR400 here in Memphis a week after I sold the CB1100 Deluxe last August and it only had 675 miles on it. I has an Mostyn pipe on it with a Power Commander 5 that is mapped by the Aussies for the pipe. The previous owner said adding the exhaust really woke the bike up. Mostyn claims an increase from 23 hp to 29. Doesn't sound like much but it is 25%. I'm having a blast riding it. Also have a 2010 F650GS and a 65 Honda 305 Dream. I feel that the lighter bikes are safer for an aging rider. I had several other heavy bikes in the last 15 years. 2001 Honda Valkyrie and 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600. I loved both of them but their weight was ultimately their demise. I met a Valkyie devotee recently. He has 4 of them. His hobby is buying neglected Valks and reserecting them for resale. His rider is a 97 he bought new and has 108,000 miles on it. It looks brand new.
 
Raceman_imp said:
I bought the V7 III Guzzi new Jan18 and the R100R Nov 19. Still have both of them. They are similar but each unique in their own way. The R100R is the best of the Airheads and is a forever bike. Put new Battlax BT46 tires on both of them in the last couple weeks. I found the SR400 here in Memphis a week after I sold the CB1100 Deluxe last August and it only had 675 miles on it. I has an Mostyn pipe on it with a Power Commander 5 that is mapped by the Aussies for the pipe. The previous owner said adding the exhaust really woke the bike up. Mostyn claims an increase from 23 hp to 29. Doesn't sound like much but it is 25%. I'm having a blast riding it. Also have a 2010 F650GS and a 65 Honda 305 Dream. I feel that the lighter bikes are safer for an aging rider. I had several other heavy bikes in the last 15 years. 2001 Honda Valkyrie and 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600. I loved both of them but their weight was ultimately their demise. I met a Valkyie devotee recently. He has 4 of them. His hobby is buying neglected Valks and reserecting them for resale. His rider is a 97 he bought new and has 108,000 miles on it. It looks brand new.
A similar sentiment I have found multiple times on other Forums. It makes sense. For example: The NC750X is noticeably lighter than the CB1100. As our bodies shrink, it seems logical to downsize. I have met many happy SR400 owners.

I wonder if the classic CB750 qualifies today as a "lighter" bike? Maybe for those coming off a Gold Wing and similar.
 
Its all perspective. When I had my ST 1300 and FJR, my CB 1100 felt like a super moto when pushing it around, now that the "big bikes" are gone, my CB feel like a barge and the NC 750X feels like a dirt bike. I imagine if I got rid of the CB and got an SR 400, the NC would feel like a tank and the SR would feel like a bicycle lol
 
No, for me I consider those two as mid or upper mid-weight bikes. The 800# Wing and 750# California are my heavy ones.
My standard is there's a concrete pad with a slight incline up to my motorcycle garage doorway. I can *barely* push the Cali up through the door, the Wing I can't, I have to power it in. The CB is fairly easy to push in and the V85 maybe easier yet.
 
Ollie_imp said:
No, for me I consider those two as mid or upper mid-weight bikes. The 800# Wing and 750# California are my heavy ones.
My standard is there's a concrete pad with a slight incline up to my motorcycle garage doorway. I can *barely* push the Cali up through the door, the Wing I can't, I have to power it in. The CB is fairly easy to push in and the V85 maybe easier yet.
(phew) Cool - and good to read about successfully pushing the V85TT and CB.

There are some days pushing the CRF1000 almost impossible - and [on paper] it is lighter than the CB1100. Sometimes those non-technical intangibles find their way in to make our lives - well - livelier (hopefully).
 
The ferret_imp said:
Its all perspective. When I had my ST 1300 and FJR, my CB 1100 felt like a super moto when pushing it around, now that the "big bikes" are gone, my CB feel like a barge and the NC 750X feels like a dirt bike. I imagine if I got rid of the CB and got an SR 400, the NC would feel like a tank and the SR would feel like a bicycle lol

That’s kinda the way I feel when switching from the Goldwing to the CB…But, it’s a fun transition with a different riding experience.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
My older sister was going through old pictures and found my CB750 and CB350...still looking for the 50 mini trail.

The 350 was great, but that 750 was my pride and joy!

77ab6264bb0391b3c7bf9559590a76ca.jpg


9c678319c06dce893da1e8ef7dd3b604.jpg
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
‘76? Looks just like my old one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, paid $1776 for it, put 10,000 miles on it in one year....was "pressured" to give it up for a house down payment.

A 21 year old couple buying a house seemed to out weight the pleasures of the 750....but wish I had it back!
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
‘76? Looks just like my old one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, paid $1776 for it, put 10,000 miles on it in one year....was "pressured" to give it up for a house down payment.

A 21 year old couple buying a house seemed to out weight the pleasures of the 750....but wish I had it back!
Yep, paid $1776 for it, put 10,000 miles on it in one year....was "pressured" to give it up for a house down payment.

A 21 year old couple buying a house seemed to out weight the pleasures of the 750....but wish I had it back!
... heck, better than, "... Why do you need to keep the bike? You're married now." - lol
 
My dad has a K2, and still, to this day I have a dig at him as to why this was not left to me (all in jest) love to wind up my dad he just takes it to hook line, and sinker. However his love for Honda rubbed on me, so thanks dad it's more than the K2.
 
m in sc_imp said:
my old f model. I do miss this one.

But, I sold it and my 1st rd to cover the last semester of college. so i don't regret that.

this is the bike that made me hate k models for the most part. I absolutely would own another, but would have to be a spoke model w rear disc of this year.

6978e6df32bec75d349f29be61ac2c2d.jpg


i had a few ks before and after this, 73, 74, etc. then not long ago i had a 78

I probably should have kept this one, it ran really well. I absolutely despised the 17" rear wheel, but I traded it for a 68 ford falcon that was pretty cool, so away it went.

bbabc51f7ba22efddfe5a19839ffbf30.jpg
Sumthin' 'bout the rear drum brake that sometimes takes me back. I used to despise the looks of 'em, but today they have grown nostalgic on me.
 
Back
Top