Delivery & first ride...

quietguy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I got home from work at 3:15 pm, ran in and got my gear. Got the CTX out of the shed. The sales guy was there 10 minutes later with my new 2014 Honda CB1100.


I will readily admit that I was a Nervous Wreck. The last inline 4 I rode was in 1975: My then new Honda CB550 Four.


To cut this down and not write a novel, the sales guy helped me by spotting the bike as I practiced getting her up on the center stand - another thing I haven't had in years.


Then... he loaded my CTX on his trailer, waved bye.. and off he went.


I muscled the new CB1100 out of the shed, got her turned around and started... and away I went - mouth dry, hands shaking, half expecting disaster to strike at any moment...


Out the driveway, onto the street and down the lane I go.


I rode my first 11 miles - Wow, what an experience! The bike handles amazingly well - easy to ride, stable and SMOOTH. I would say the experience was better than SE* but of course, I'd be lying (lol). But trust me, it was CLOSE.


You will laugh though, I still do, at myself:


The first 1 or 2 miles (in reality, more like 1/16th of a mile) the bike had NO power! Acted like it wasn't getting fuel... Then WHAM! I looked down at my right boot, and ut oh, the dang toe was depressing the rear brake! Ages since I rode a bike with mid controls and I am definitely needing practice.


I immediately started working on my foot position on both sides.. and after I got things arranged somewhat, zoom - that thing got going, smoothly, effortlessly.


Anyway... after 11 or 12 miles I got myself calmed down and began enjoying the ride, the bike and this new experience. Just incredible. Even a bit smoother than the CB550 I had decades ago.


I got home, rolled it into the shed, set the clock, then got that thing up on the center stand without problems.


Sorry for the long note... but I did want to share my "adventure".


I LOVE this motorcycle - I can see 4 - 500 mile days, and without effort.


The motorcycle 'gods' are smiling - Xmas day is predicted to hit 70 degrees (F), so y'all know what I will be doing.


Just wanted to share... :thumbsup:

... quietguy
 
Congrats Quietguy!
Watch that riding the brake. One member did that and ended up warping his rotor and had to replace it! He ended up modding the lever.

Enjoy you new bike!!!
 
Thread starter
Thank you very much, popgun.

Fortunately, this situation didn't last more than about 1/16th of a mile... caught it almost immediately. I was kind of upset, thinking something's amiss with the bike.
 
Nice report. Could feel your excitement in your words
 
Well don't feel bad. I left the parking brake on the other day and thought the same as you, no power and somethings wrong. We all do something every now and then I guess :)
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Motogeezer!

It blew me away.. plus, it was just so well balanced, easy to ride.

My biggest challenge is getting use to the pegs/controls position, and using them with my big feet.
 
Winter solstice, the coldest day of the year. Almost 8pm in the southeast USA and temperature in my NOTW is 70*F. I read QG's first ride log entry and made me wanna go ride. So...

Good night to all and to all good night.

:biker:
 
Hey Quietguy, glad you got your new ride!! I just picked mine up today too. I was grinning like an idiot the entire 45 minutes home. ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Nice one QG. Congratulations and welcome aboard.
 
Thread starter
Verdecken_imp said:
Hey Quietguy, glad you got your new ride!! I just picked mine up today too. I was grinning like an idiot the entire 45 minutes home. ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congratulations, Verdecken! This bike is Amazing...
 
Hmmm..."quietguy" huh? Haha.

Congrats on the new bike! You're on Santa's good list for sure. You, too, Verdecken. Wishing you both many safe, enjoyable miles. This is an amazing motorcycle as you have quickly found out.
 
Back
Top