Deer strike.

flynrider

Road warrior
Thread starter
I thought I'd post this separate from the upcoming post on my weeklong Colorado trip (still processing pics for that one), to avoid clutter.

On day 3 of my trip I'd packed up my camp near Silverton, CO and headed north to have breakfast in the picturesque mountain town of Ouray. This stretch of US 550 is called the million dollar highway and much of it is carved right out of the rocky mountainside.

It was a beautiful Wednesday morning and I was thinking how great it was to be riding this road with almost none of the usual weekend traffic. Halfway to my destination, I stopped for a photo op at Red Mountain Pass. This is the last photo of my pristine undamaged bike.

2b67de117df78da19a6b491d1edd3fab.jpg


About 15 min. later I was rounding a sharp curve about a mile from Ouray when it happened. Just as I was exiting the curve at about 25 mph, I caught a flash of brown out of the corner of my left eye. I was a bit confused because there had been nothing but a guard rail and a steep cliff in that direction. Before I could really process this info, I was face to face with Bambi, who had made an impressive leap into the left side of my windshield. The impact knocked the handlebar full lock to the left and down we went.

In this pic the impact point was about where you see the shadow of the trees on the road. Since the right side of the road is mostly a rocky cliff, the deer was headed for those trees for cover.

1a7fc2ee74ccc09e457e7475775391d2.jpg


I had maybe 1/2 second of braking before the impact and estimate I was only going 15-20 mph when Bambi hit me. The windshield shattered and the bike went down (with me still on the seat) and slid about 15 ft. before coming to a stop in the middle of the lane.

One weird thing was that when the bike stopped sliding, the engine was revving high. There was nothing touching the throttle and I was stumped at what would cause that? Maybe some quirk of the FI system? Anyway, I quickly slapped the kill switch and all was quiet.

A couple of guys in a Jeep coming in the opposite direction stopped and helped me lift up the bike and get it to the side of the road. As we moved it, the trees began to rustle and Bambi popped out to have a look. She had a gash on her right hindquarter and was limping a bit, but it didn't look like anything was broken and she hobbled off towards the forest. She'd probably live if she could heal up before any predators found her.

I was very surprised at the relatively light amount of damage to both myself and the bike. I wasn't wearing any protective gear, other than my helmet (which didn't even get scratched). The only noticeable damage on me was a 1/4" scratch on my pinkie and one of my favorite airplane t-shirts had evidently received some road rash.

f275e303d87fdbf953be61deca4282d7.jpg


The bike came to rest sitting on the left crash bar and handlebar. Major props to the designers of the OVER Racing crash bars I got from Samurider. With the bike on its left side, nothing to the rear of the crash bar received a scratch. The peg, shifter and even the rear turn signal were completely untouched. The crash bar was bent a bit toward the engine case, but didn't touch it.

Here's a rundown of the carnage. The NC Plexistar was, of course, a total write off.

c84b5d472e5338e080bea20cc095ceea.jpg


Probably the most expensive damage was to the gauge package. Everything still works and I was able to duct tape all the cracks and holes to keep water out (looks really sharp!). The headlight trim ring also got rashed. The clutch lever end (no RLET) was scraped up, but the lever remained intact.

6504a8d3fb8beb2d0f0e6caeba55f602.jpg


The mirror got a good scraping, but didn't break and was still usable.

76cb7290c62330cb3d18d41fb95bcbb5.jpg


Lastly, the fabulous OVER engine guard did what it was supposed to do. Although there were several mm scraped off the stainless tube, it protected the rest of the bike admirably. Best farkle money I ever spent.

dd532e4cf9cfe111847a94283a36aa07.jpg


Overall, I'd say both the bike and I were quite lucky to survive this encounter with so little damage. After calming down a bit and readjusting my gear, I was back on the road in about 20 min.

Total damage to the bike was the windshield, headlight ring, mirror, gauge plastic and left crash bar. What really hurt was that this was the first time I've put a scratch on a motorcycle in 27 years of almost daily riding. It was a nice streak while it lasted :(

I continued on with the rest of my 7 day trip without a windshield and an embarrassing amount of duct tape holding the gauge plastic together. I really missed that windshield. The bugs were thick and a few days later I got caught in a hail storm and had nothing to hide behind. Later that day, a bee flew up my sleeve and stung me on the upper arm.

I'm still working on the pics and maps for the rest of the trip and will post it soon.
 
Welcome to the club. Except for not going down, that was my story of two years ago...in Nowhere, Wisconsin, a mile from my jobsite. Fog flow over a dip in the road; slow to 25; and of course that fogbank is lousy with deer. I hit one on the head; watched my fairing explode; felt the front wheel let go and slew for a nanosecond...a wobble...and over.

I'm sorry you had it happen on a good bike. In Ouray, yet...I have done the Million Dollar Highway by bike, three years ago. It's worth the price of the ticket.

But not this.

You're right about one thing: You NEED a windshield to tour on this ride. I hope it all comes together that you can salvage the vacation ride.
One common thread, seems to be the SHATTERING of the instrument housing - anytime anything bad happens.

Seems someone could cobble a guard - or even a cast or even stamped aftermarket housing, that would dent but not bust up when bad stuff happens.
 
That is a HORRIBLE STORY! :( Thank God, you are AMAZINGLY lucky you weren't hurt worse.

A close encounter with a deer is my biggest fear while riding. Up where I typically ride I pretty much see deer almost every single ride, especially during peak season. I have hit them with my truck. They have an amazing ability to jump out of NOWHERE and seem to be incredibly stupid as I think they are attracted to headlights. Hit one of these you you can easily total a vehicle, on a bike it can be much much worse.

Wow, so glad you are alright.
 
Thread starter
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Welcome to the club. Except for not going down, that was my story of two years ago...in Nowhere, Wisconsin, a mile from my jobsite. Fog flow over a dip in the road; slow to 25; and of course that fogbank is lousy with deer. I hit one on the head; watched my fairing explode; felt the front wheel let go and slew for a nanosecond...a wobble...and over.

I'm sorry you had it happen on a good bike. In Ouray, yet...I have done the Million Dollar Highway by bike, three years ago. It's worth the price of the ticket.

But not this.

You're right about one thing: You NEED a windshield to tour on this ride. I hope it all comes together that you can salvage the vacation ride.
One common thread, seems to be the SHATTERING of the instrument housing - anytime anything bad happens.

Seems someone could cobble a guard - or even a cast or even stamped aftermarket housing, that would dent but not bust up when bad stuff happens.
Yeah, the Million Dollar Highway is my second all time favorite motorcycle ride, just behind US 12 between Lolo and Kooskia. As a matter of fact, I first rode it almost 30 yrs. to the day of this event.

The windshield was sorely missed for the rest of the trip. I did press on and finished the rest of the trip without too much discomfort (other than the hail and bugs mentioned above).
 
As I read this, I'm just about to take a very early morning ride. The last two times I've done this, I've had close calls with deer.
 
Thread starter
veech_imp said:
That is a HORRIBLE STORY! :( Thank God, you are AMAZINGLY lucky you weren't hurt worse.

A close encounter with a deer is my biggest fear while riding. Up where I typically ride I pretty much see deer almost every single ride, especially during peak season. I have hit them with my truck. They have an amazing ability to jump out of NOWHERE and seem to be incredibly stupid as I think they are attracted to headlights. Hit one of these you you can easily total a vehicle, on a bike it can be much much worse.

Wow, so glad you are alright.
Now it's mine too. I've been riding in the mountains all my adult life and this is the first time I've hit one. I spent the rest of the week suspiciously scanning roadsides whenever I saw one of those yellow jumping deer signs.

At least crazy drivers are somewhat predictable. These deer seem suicidal and completely unpredictable.
 
Flynrider, In Australia we'd say "what a bast*rd, mate!" Bad luck—and I fear it is bad luck; you can't really control deer. I'm really pleased you and the bike came through that hideous experience with relatively little harm. It's even good that you were able to get back on the bike and continue your ride. Even better, you're going to ride about it.

Normally I'd say deer aren't a problem in Australia, we just have to worry about kangaroo, but someone's erected a deer warning sign not far from my home. I guess someone's breeding them and they get out occasionally to torment motorcyclists. I suppose I'll have to start being very careful indeed.

I've had a bee go up the sleeve of my jacket and sting me. It was alarming when it happened and very uncomfortable for a time afterwards.

Glad you're OK.

PS, when you guys mention roads you really like, I often try to look at them on Google Maps. Both the ones you mentioned in the foregoing tragedy look excellent. I wish I could've had a lot more time in the US!
 
Buggers.Glad you came thru relatively unscathed. Deer are a menace everywhere. Out here in the country I see them everyday and have fairly close encounters regularly. It's bound to happen one of these days.

At any are glad you are ok and were able to finish your trip, because it sounds like a fantastic one ( minus the deer encounter of course),

PS Larry Grodsky, motorcycle safety expert, who wrote the Staying Safe series for Rider Magazine, told his wife if anything was going to get him, it would be a deer. In April 2006 his prophesy came true. he was not as fortunate as you were, he died.
 
Flynrider... Sorry to read this report but GLAD that you are ok. You'll fix the bike and all will be fine it shortly I'm sure. But as we get older...'we' get harder to fix. I'm glad you're ok in that regard. I'm with Veech on this... I worry about deer more than anything. You just can't sense what they might do... Scary! Stay safe my friend.
 
Not sure if this is an urban legend, but I heard about a guy driving his pickup truck when a deer jumped out, landed in the truck bed and broke its own neck! That must have been the easiest deer hunt of all time.
 
Sorry about the damage to a beautiful bike but very glad you walked away from that. Deer strikes at any speed are scary, even in a cage. I've hit 4 deer over the years but never on a bike.
 
Glad you're ok. Had a Close Encounter of the Deer Kind yesterday, but was lucky enough to have more advanced warning than you, even though I was coming out of a turn and over a hill doing about 60. I got the bike stopped and they decided to return to the cover from whence they came.

I think there was a discussion here about a published article (Cycle World, maybe? And I'm paraphrasing it in any case) that stated that 100% of motorcycle crashes could have been avoided by the rider. The author then lowered his estimate to 99%, allowing for giant rocks falling from the sky or the occasional deer jumping out at you. I guess this makes you a 1%er. :beerchug:

Looking forward to your upcoming report and will be extra vigilant because of this one.
 
Glad you got through that one OK.

Deer scare me more than anything. IMHO, all young fawns should be forced to attend and pass a highway safety class before being allowed anywhere near a road !
 
I'm glad you're okay! So scary. We still have deer crossing signs around the neighborhood but no deer. Development has sadly cleared them out long ago. The last time I saw a deer around here was back in the early 80s. The coyotes have continued to flourish but at least they have the sense not to jump in front of moving motorcycles.
 
Deer are so unexpected, predictable yes, they will jump in front of you, it is the unexpected movement that gets us.

Cows, they are unpredictable, I would see them in the mountains being free ranged, try to pass one standing and the stupid thing starts running, then swerving side to side until "I finally gave up and went home." Maybe they are smart after all,...

I had a near miss back in high school on my CB125S(my first CB). I was leading the way to our summer weekly wood cutting session when I was rounding a curve at about 20mph as the curve progressed the morning sun blinded me when I heard a scratching on the pavement. Later my dad said I had nearly hit a deer.

Glad you are alright and were able to continue on your trip. For me sand and cars crossing the line are my biggest fears. Maybe I am just stupid that way but I am on the look out for big rocks, people, animals, vehicles, sand, and my own miscalculations constantly to stay upright and get home safe.

As we were told on the ship "be a lert, the world needs more of them." Deer don't know this though.
 
Anyone have any strategies for minimizing risk?

Those "deer whistles" have pretty much been discredited. Now, when I'm on the job, running a locomotive...and we have deer in the track (I don't like to hit them for several reasons) there are things I've found I can do. The air horn...is just music to their ears. It seems to soothe them...really. But putting on the BELL...that BANG! BANG! BANG! of the clapper whacking the bell...that raises alarm to them.

The headlight, just freezes them. Just like jacking deer with a spotlight. So...put the bell ON, and turn the lights OFF...and they scurry away.

Now, there's no headlight switch on a motorcycle...and anyway, you don't have that kind of advance time, to turn it off. When deer are busiest, you need a light even in a car. But...one thing I've done when I HAD to run, in dawn or dusk, through high-risk areas, when there are no homes or police about...is continuously toot the horn.

Does it help? Do rain dances end droughts? Who knows?

I vaguely remember reading of someone who claimed to have put an MP3 look of a dog barking, and playing it on a speaker on the roof of his truck when going through deer country. Claimed it had them running. I'm dubious...but I'll consider anything.
 
Those deer whistles are conpletely worthless. I pretty much blast my horn repeatedly and if you have a loud pipe rev up the motor, basically making as much noise as possible. (The CB horn is nice and loud & piercing.) My experience has been they seem to run away from that, but that only works if you have adequate warning by seeing them. If they do their leaping trick, prayer instinct & experience are all you've got.
Also, SLOW DOWN AS FAST AS SAFELY POSSIBLE as soon as you see one, not to mention proceed very cautiosly when driving through wooded areas.
 
Back
Top