SportsterDoc
Road warrior
Thread starter
Had a very relaxing ride to Death Valley, yesterday, including Pahrump, Shoshone, Badwater, Furnace Creek, Stovepipe Wells, Beatty.
Relaxing = close to speed limit most of the time. I was averaging 56 MPG until I left Stovepipe Wells and ascended from sea level on a spirited ride up Daylight Pass to Beatty (3,300 feet).
The 109 miles from Beatty to home started out at 70 MPH, but going with traffic ended up at 80-85 MPH. I figure less chances for a head-on (two lane highway) with another vehicle a few hundred feet ahead.
355 miles, 8 1/2 hours
51.1 MPG (67 MPG for 30 miles from Pahrump to Shoshone)
7 gallons fuel ($4.499 and $4.409 per gallon within Death Valley)
Great weather in the southwest, right now. Would like to go to Duck Creek in Utah and then the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in Arizona, but that road will not open until May.
Planning a shorter (~200 miles) on Monday to Pahranagant Lakes. It has become a tradition for a photo alongside the lakes with my street bikes.
Hope I do not have the same experience that I did with the Moto Guzi.
If you go to this link, notice that the fuel economy of the V7II is no better than our 1142 cc CB! Note also that the V7II is 6500 RPM at 107, whereas a 6 speed CB is only ~5000 at 100 MPH.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showt...629&page=3
Relaxing = close to speed limit most of the time. I was averaging 56 MPG until I left Stovepipe Wells and ascended from sea level on a spirited ride up Daylight Pass to Beatty (3,300 feet).
The 109 miles from Beatty to home started out at 70 MPH, but going with traffic ended up at 80-85 MPH. I figure less chances for a head-on (two lane highway) with another vehicle a few hundred feet ahead.
355 miles, 8 1/2 hours
51.1 MPG (67 MPG for 30 miles from Pahrump to Shoshone)
7 gallons fuel ($4.499 and $4.409 per gallon within Death Valley)
Great weather in the southwest, right now. Would like to go to Duck Creek in Utah and then the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in Arizona, but that road will not open until May.
Planning a shorter (~200 miles) on Monday to Pahranagant Lakes. It has become a tradition for a photo alongside the lakes with my street bikes.
Hope I do not have the same experience that I did with the Moto Guzi.
If you go to this link, notice that the fuel economy of the V7II is no better than our 1142 cc CB! Note also that the V7II is 6500 RPM at 107, whereas a 6 speed CB is only ~5000 at 100 MPH.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showt...629&page=3

