Dead battery question

chandler_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I installed a battery tender on my bike about 2 weeks ago. I haven't ridden the bike since I installed it. I went out just now to go for a ride and the battery is dead...at least that's what I'm thinking. The gauges cycle and the lights turn on when I turn the ignition, but it won't start. I just get that "click, click, click."
I'm charging the battery now, so hopefully that's the only problem.
My question is: is it expected for the battery to die if the bike sits for two weeks? This seems a little strange to me, but I thought you wise folks might have some input.
Do you keep your battery on a charger regularly?
Thanks!


2013 Honda CB1100
 
A good battery shouldn't die if left unattended for two weeks -- or even two months. Either yours is a goner or something is discharging it while the bike is turned off. If it's the original 2013 battery and had never been on a tender until now, it was probably due for replacement.

I keep all of my bikes on battery tenders when not ridden and usually get about 8 years of battery life.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, LongRanger. I left the kill switch to ON. Aside from that, I'm not sure what could have drained it.
I'm not sure if it's the original. I bought the bike used about 2 months ago.


2013 Honda CB1100
 
I also use a battery tender on my 2013 standard. Consider a multi-meter to check your battery's charge in addition to the green light on the tender. I had symptoms similar to your click start and my battery just went kaput. Went out and bought an agm and bike starts up great! 5-6 years time to replace it. When they go, they just go. Enjoy your CB! Russ
 
chandler, leaving the kill switch on will make no difference. Keep an eye on it. As LongRanger says, if its the original battery it could well be kaput,
 
If you put a battery tender lead on, make sure you got your battery bolts tight.

Just in case do you know how to bump start your bike?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
If you put a battery tender lead on, make sure you got your battery bolts tight.

Just in case do you know how to bump start your bike?

I checked the connections earlier and they look tight.
Funny enough, I watched 2 YouTube videos yesterday about how to bump start a bike. I thought about trying it but I was short on time.
I'm thinking it might be wise to go ahead and replace the battery. The AMG battery threads are convincing me.


2013 Honda CB1100
 
At the risk of repeating what has been said many times, batteries in hotter climates have a much shorter life than those that live in cooler climates.
Up here in Eskimo land I easily get 7-8 years out of a battery.
I think you are wise to bite the bullet and buy a new battery. At least then you will know when it was new and can expect a few good years from it.
 
You might want to see if your battery tender is good for an AGM or Gel battery. I've got 3 of the older style that I need to throw away, as their charge rate is not high enough for AGM or Gel. Batteries are weird. They tend to go south all at once. Back in the old days, the starter would start turning slower and slower. Today, they go click, click, click.
 
I still have the original battery in my 2013. I keep it on a battery tender when it's parked. I test it with a volt meter (static and loaded) periodically. Still performing well but it's age is making me nervous. I carry a battery tender booster in my bag to jump it if I have to.
0ad6553c952f31c7d9e80994439b56e3.jpg
. Don't want to get stranded. I might preemptively replace it soon but I want to squeeze all the life out it I can.
 
Bump Stating...

Be aware of the fact that your battery will need to provide enough juice to power the fuel injection and electronic ignition.

Unlike days of old when you could bump start a bike (with points and carbs) that had a completely dead battery.
 
chandler_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
If you put a battery tender lead on, make sure you got your battery bolts tight.

Just in case do you know how to bump start your bike?

I checked the connections earlier and they look tight.
Funny enough, I watched 2 YouTube videos yesterday about how to bump start a bike. I thought about trying it but I was short on time.
I'm thinking it might be wise to go ahead and replace the battery. The AMG battery threads are convincing me.


2013 Honda CB1100

I checked the connections earlier and they look tight.
Funny enough, I watched 2 YouTube videos yesterday about how to bump start a bike. I thought about trying it but I was short on time.
I'm thinking it might be wise to go ahead and replace the battery. The AMG battery threads are convincing me.


2013 Honda CB1100
The CB is pretty easy to bump start if you're on a hill or have someone to push. I had to do it a couple weeks ago. Fortunately, there was someone there to push and a nice hill. Bumped it in 2nd and started right up.
 
I had to bump start mine on flat ground by myself, nobody to push. I barely got it moving and it started right up. Just be sure you are ready to pull the clutch lever in as soon as it starts so it doesn't jump causing you to lose control. Even with the battery low, the fuel injection pressurizes itself to supply fuel. If the battery is completely dead, that might become an issue.
 
Pauley_imp said:
I still have the original battery in my 2013. I keep it on a battery tender when it's parked. I test it with a volt meter (static and loaded) periodically. Still performing well but it's age is making me nervous. I carry a battery tender booster in my bag to jump it if I have to.
0ad6553c952f31c7d9e80994439b56e3.jpg
. Don't want to get stranded. I might preemptively replace it soon but I want to squeeze all the life out it I can.
Pauley, I have a 2013 and I just replaced my battery. It's a matter of time before it just goes kaput. I didn't want to be on the road with it dying and mumbling a few words. It may start up fine at home and then you stop for gas somewhere and it doesn't even click. The batteries just quit without much warning. After I put in the new one, starts up just like it should. Good luck on squeezing all the life out of it. If you're on the top of Mt. Diablo, then you could just coast down. :)
 
cooldrum_imp said:
Pauley_imp said:
I still have the original battery in my 2013. I keep it on a battery tender when it's parked. I test it with a volt meter (static and loaded) periodically. Still performing well but it's age is making me nervous. I carry a battery tender booster in my bag to jump it if I have to.
0ad6553c952f31c7d9e80994439b56e3.jpg
. Don't want to get stranded. I might preemptively replace it soon but I want to squeeze all the life out it I can.
Pauley, I have a 2013 and I just replaced my battery. It's a matter of time before it just goes kaput. I didn't want to be on the road with it dying and mumbling a few words. It may start up fine at home and then you stop for gas somewhere and it doesn't even click. The batteries just quit without much warning. After I put in the new one, starts up just like it should. Good luck on squeezing all the life out of it. If you're on the top of Mt. Diablo, then you could just coast down. :)
Pauley, I have a 2013 and I just replaced my battery. It's a matter of time before it just goes kaput. I didn't want to be on the road with it dying and mumbling a few words. It may start up fine at home and then you stop for gas somewhere and it doesn't even click. The batteries just quit without much warning. After I put in the new one, starts up just like it should. Good luck on squeezing all the life out of it. If you're on the top of Mt. Diablo, then you could just coast down. :) Yeaaaah..... I've probably been pushing my luck. Didn't take much convincing. Time to start looking for a replacement.
 
Back
Top