De-tuned Engine

Darpo_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
We all know this inline 4 is silky smooth and also de-tuned. I believe because being air cooled and emission requirements. My question is...should there be any concern riding this baby hard (below red). Just because it is de-tuned I'm hoping it's even more willing and able to get pushed w/out concern of pre mature wear or damage. Honda's engineering is legendary for being rock solid, so I couldn't imagine.:biker:Thanks
 
Darpo_imp said:
We all know this inline 4 is silky smooth and also de-tuned. I believe because being air cooled and emission requirements. My question is...should there be any concern riding this baby hard (below red). Just because it is de-tuned I'm hoping it's even more willing and able to get pushed w/out concern of pre mature wear or damage. Honda's engineering is legendary for being rock solid, so I couldn't imagine.:biker:Thanks
some ride it hard even before 600 miles mark (chain adjustment at 600 miles.) Most test riders for bike magazine ride all bikes hard NEW because it's not their bikes. wait until the bike if fully broken-in, then ride as you wish, that is, at least 3000 - 4000 miles as a precaution.
 
Darpo_imp said:
We all know this inline 4 is silky smooth and also de-tuned. I believe because being air cooled and emission requirements. My question is...should there be any concern riding this baby hard (below red). Just because it is de-tuned I'm hoping it's even more willing and able to get pushed w/out concern of pre mature wear or damage. Honda's engineering is legendary for being rock solid, so I couldn't imagine.:biker:Thanks
I heard somewhere { was it on Youtube } about how the bike
was De-tuned on purpose.That the engineers got together and decided it was TOO smooth and it needed a little roughness so as
to not appear TOO tame.So they tinkered with the valve timing to give the CB a little authority.Originally the Supersport 750 advertised you could stand a nickel on it's side on top of the engine and it wouldn't fall over.Some knocks on the bike are that it is too weak.
That many a Supersport 750 are now café racers with real zip.
I dunno.I whipped the noodle off a New Harley { a 1200 sportster }
guy about a month ago.He was behind me at a light and was revving his engine.I have a Bike creed.I DO NOT EVER BLIP the
Throttle.It makes no sense.It's just stupid.Plus on a new model
it begs to discolor the exhaust.
So when the light changed I started off in first kinda slow to let the
Loud hog maybe think he's got something,then I punched it and
got into 2nd kinda good and left that guy behind like he never even moved.I had to really be careful because the next light was in front
of me before I knew it.I had to break pretty hard.
That 1200 finally got behind me and then changed lanes and tried to
act like it was his time to show off.I just stayed right next to him
as he revved the crap out of his hog and acted like he was really movin.All the time I was gesturing to him to Get goin.Can't it go
any faster.Man the look on the dudes face was worth it.
Deflated.I'm used to that.I've had to pull that stunt with hogs thinkin' they got something on my Rune.The Rune is very fast in
1st and 2nd gear.It has hotter cams than the Goldwing Engine.
Far better off the line performance.But the Goldwing has better
top end pickup.
 
Darpo_imp said:
We all know this inline 4 is silky smooth and also de-tuned. I believe because being air cooled and emission requirements. My question is...should there be any concern riding this baby hard (below red). Just because it is de-tuned I'm hoping it's even more willing and able to get pushed w/out concern of pre mature wear or damage. Honda's engineering is legendary for being rock solid, so I couldn't imagine.:biker:Thanks
This motor likes to be stretch out, or I'd like to think she does. I always wait for the first oil change then I redline almost every time I'm out. Nothing crazy just i nice roll on in 1st 2nd and 3rd usually on entrance ramps to the highway. Your not going to hurt or damage this motor.
 
CIP57_imp said:
Darpo_imp said:
We all know this inline 4 is silky smooth and also de-tuned. I believe because being air cooled and emission requirements. My question is...should there be any concern riding this baby hard (below red). Just because it is de-tuned I'm hoping it's even more willing and able to get pushed w/out concern of pre mature wear or damage. Honda's engineering is legendary for being rock solid, so I couldn't imagine.:biker:Thanks
This motor likes to be stretch out, or I'd like to think she does. I always wait for the first oil change then I redline almost every time I'm out. Nothing crazy just i nice roll on in 1st 2nd and 3rd usually on entrance ramps to the highway. Your not going to hurt or damage this motor.
This motor likes to be stretch out, or I'd like to think she does. I always wait for the first oil change then I redline almost every time I'm out. Nothing crazy just i nice roll on in 1st 2nd and 3rd usually on entrance ramps to the highway. Your not going to hurt or damage this motor.
I'm wondering the same thing.How much can this engine be pushed.
Off hand the answer might be,with any new model, caveat emptor.
But both my Honda Rune and VTX 1800 ,both brand new models
disproved any doubt.
Both bikes had great build quality in the engine department.
But I'm still a little leery.Seems like the CB has a little trouble
with extended hard throttle.Like it gets into vibration mode too
easy.However I only have a little over 400 miles on it.
I don't believe in babying a new bike.Don't run it hard but also
don't baby it and never lug it.
The theory is that if you baby a new engine it will never really perform to it's max.because you have to make sure and put enough of a load on the engine to force the rings to seed properly.Push them
up and seed so as to give enough clearance for the piston to travel
to it's full stroke.
 
mininsx_imp said:
I don't think you're going to hurt it. :biker:

Again ... Honda is known for build quality.
But then most all motorcycle manufacturers except the Clone
Cruiser market do extensive tests of new models.Like they
take their in development new models into the Mojave desert
to test and see how much abuse they can handle.
Of course I doubt the new Indian went thru too much abuse.
Just enough to make it appear plausible.
The CB 1100 has been out and about in Europe and Japan
for what ... since 2009.So if the engine had any quirks we
would have heard all about them.
The First CB 1100 was launched in 1980.Similar engine
with a displacement of 1062 cc.Same in-line 4 with a bore of
70 mm and stroke of 69 mm.With 9.7:1 compression.
The 2013 CB has 1140 cc and bore of 73.5 mm and stroke
of 67.2 mm and compression ratio of 9.5:1.
So the bike shouldn't run well on 87 octane.
However the 1980 CB 1100 produced h.p. of 110 ponies at
8500 rpm and a top speed of around 128 m.p.h.
Not too shabby for a non-fuel injection model.
Honda produced a 2nd version of the CB 1100 in 2000.
Where THE only difference was it being Water cooled.
Not sure as to fuel injection.
 
Thread starter
_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
I don't think you're going to hurt it. :biker:

Again ... Honda is known for build quality.
But then most all motorcycle manufacturers except the Clone
Cruiser market do extensive tests of new models.Like they
take their in development new models into the Mojave desert
to test and see how much abuse they can handle.
Of course I doubt the new Indian went thru too much abuse.
Just enough to make it appear plausible.
The CB 1100 has been out and about in Europe and Japan
for what ... since 2009.So if the engine had any quirks we
would have heard all about them.
The First CB 1100 was launched in 1980.Similar engine
with a displacement of 1062 cc.Same in-line 4 with a bore of
70 mm and stroke of 69 mm.With 9.7:1 compression.
The 2013 CB has 1140 cc and bore of 73.5 mm and stroke
of 67.2 mm and compression ratio of 9.5:1.
So the bike shouldn't run well on 87 octane.
However the 1980 CB 1100 produced h.p. of 110 ponies at
8500 rpm and a top speed of around 128 m.p.h.
Not too shabby for a non-fuel injection model.
Honda produced a 2nd version of the CB 1100 in 2000.
Where THE only difference was it being Water cooled.
Not sure as to fuel injection.

Again ... Honda is known for build quality.
But then most all motorcycle manufacturers except the Clone
Cruiser market do extensive tests of new models.Like they
take their in development new models into the Mojave desert
to test and see how much abuse they can handle.
Of course I doubt the new Indian went thru too much abuse.
Just enough to make it appear plausible.
The CB 1100 has been out and about in Europe and Japan
for what ... since 2009.So if the engine had any quirks we
would have heard all about them.
The First CB 1100 was launched in 1980.Similar engine
with a displacement of 1062 cc.Same in-line 4 with a bore of
70 mm and stroke of 69 mm.With 9.7:1 compression.
The 2013 CB has 1140 cc and bore of 73.5 mm and stroke
of 67.2 mm and compression ratio of 9.5:1.
So the bike shouldn't run well on 87 octane.
However the 1980 CB 1100 produced h.p. of 110 ponies at
8500 rpm and a top speed of around 128 m.p.h.
Not too shabby for a non-fuel injection model.
Honda produced a 2nd version of the CB 1100 in 2000.
Where THE only difference was it being Water cooled.
Not sure as to fuel injection.
Great comments by all. I'm at almost 5,000 miles and agree that the engine likes to be "stretched". The vibrations are so minimal especially when you give it a nice roll between 6-7,500. It just pulls. I rode a 88 Magna V45 for years and I enjoy this so much more, and that was a great bike. The fuel injection really gives you a tight crisp response. You don't need to have the rpm's screaming to enjoy the linear torque. It almost took me this long to really know the personality of this package to maximize the riding experience. I can relax in a higher gear or keep it screaming between 3rd & 4th at 6000. It's a fun bike w/ a couple personalities. :celebrate:
 
I always believe that one of the main reasons manufacturers say to take it easy on new motorcycles for few hundred miles besides the break in procedure is to get familiar with the the Motorcyle. But after the first service feel free to take it up the RPMS.... Helps burn the carbon build up on the valves is my excuse...
 
Darpo_imp said:
_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
I don't think you're going to hurt it. :biker:

Again ... Honda is known for build quality.
But then most all motorcycle manufacturers except the Clone
Cruiser market do extensive tests of new models.Like they
take their in development new models into the Mojave desert
to test and see how much abuse they can handle.
Of course I doubt the new Indian went thru too much abuse.
Just enough to make it appear plausible.
The CB 1100 has been out and about in Europe and Japan
for what ... since 2009.So if the engine had any quirks we
would have heard all about them.
The First CB 1100 was launched in 1980.Similar engine
with a displacement of 1062 cc.Same in-line 4 with a bore of
70 mm and stroke of 69 mm.With 9.7:1 compression.
The 2013 CB has 1140 cc and bore of 73.5 mm and stroke
of 67.2 mm and compression ratio of 9.5:1.
So the bike shouldn't run well on 87 octane.
However the 1980 CB 1100 produced h.p. of 110 ponies at
8500 rpm and a top speed of around 128 m.p.h.
Not too shabby for a non-fuel injection model.
Honda produced a 2nd version of the CB 1100 in 2000.
Where THE only difference was it being Water cooled.
Not sure as to fuel injection.

Again ... Honda is known for build quality.
But then most all motorcycle manufacturers except the Clone
Cruiser market do extensive tests of new models.Like they
take their in development new models into the Mojave desert
to test and see how much abuse they can handle.
Of course I doubt the new Indian went thru too much abuse.
Just enough to make it appear plausible.
The CB 1100 has been out and about in Europe and Japan
for what ... since 2009.So if the engine had any quirks we
would have heard all about them.
The First CB 1100 was launched in 1980.Similar engine
with a displacement of 1062 cc.Same in-line 4 with a bore of
70 mm and stroke of 69 mm.With 9.7:1 compression.
The 2013 CB has 1140 cc and bore of 73.5 mm and stroke
of 67.2 mm and compression ratio of 9.5:1.
So the bike shouldn't run well on 87 octane.
However the 1980 CB 1100 produced h.p. of 110 ponies at
8500 rpm and a top speed of around 128 m.p.h.
Not too shabby for a non-fuel injection model.
Honda produced a 2nd version of the CB 1100 in 2000.
Where THE only difference was it being Water cooled.
Not sure as to fuel injection.
Great comments by all. I'm at almost 5,000 miles and agree that the engine likes to be "stretched". The vibrations are so minimal especially when you give it a nice roll between 6-7,500. It just pulls. I rode a 88 Magna V45 for years and I enjoy this so much more, and that was a great bike. The fuel injection really gives you a tight crisp response. You don't need to have the rpm's screaming to enjoy the linear torque. It almost took me this long to really know the personality of this package to maximize the riding experience. I can relax in a higher gear or keep it screaming between 3rd & 4th at 6000. It's a fun bike w/ a couple personalities. :celebrate:

Again ... Honda is known for build quality.
But then most all motorcycle manufacturers except the Clone
Cruiser market do extensive tests of new models.Like they
take their in development new models into the Mojave desert
to test and see how much abuse they can handle.
Of course I doubt the new Indian went thru too much abuse.
Just enough to make it appear plausible.
The CB 1100 has been out and about in Europe and Japan
for what ... since 2009.So if the engine had any quirks we
would have heard all about them.
The First CB 1100 was launched in 1980.Similar engine
with a displacement of 1062 cc.Same in-line 4 with a bore of
70 mm and stroke of 69 mm.With 9.7:1 compression.
The 2013 CB has 1140 cc and bore of 73.5 mm and stroke
of 67.2 mm and compression ratio of 9.5:1.
So the bike shouldn't run well on 87 octane.
However the 1980 CB 1100 produced h.p. of 110 ponies at
8500 rpm and a top speed of around 128 m.p.h.
Not too shabby for a non-fuel injection model.
Honda produced a 2nd version of the CB 1100 in 2000.
Where THE only difference was it being Water cooled.
Not sure as to fuel injection.
Great comments by all. I'm at almost 5,000 miles and agree that the engine likes to be "stretched". The vibrations are so minimal especially when you give it a nice roll between 6-7,500. It just pulls. I rode a 88 Magna V45 for years and I enjoy this so much more, and that was a great bike. The fuel injection really gives you a tight crisp response. You don't need to have the rpm's screaming to enjoy the linear torque. It almost took me this long to really know the personality of this package to maximize the riding experience. I can relax in a higher gear or keep it screaming between 3rd & 4th at 6000. It's a fun bike w/ a couple personalities. :celebrate:
However I have noticed a possible Achilles' heel to the CB.
If you run a little hard and put yer hand on the instrument
panel it has some pretty aggressive vibration.The handlebars also
have a noticeable vibration.Every model motorcycle has vibration
somewhere.It might be obvious like the older Harley's and the engine actually shaking like a wet dog.
It might be in the seat like on the VTX 1800.
The CB frame is rigid-mounted below the steering column which
probably accounts for it.
lola_imp said:
I always believe that one of the main reasons manufacturers say to take it easy on new motorcycles for few hundred miles besides the break in procedure is to get familiar with the the Motorcyle. But after the first service feel free to take it up the RPMS.... Helps burn the carbon build up on the valves is my excuse...
Plus to protect their arse.Imagine if a dealer handed the keys
over to a hopped up teen who wants nothing more than to
burn the road up.Not very prudent to say ... yeah go
ahead and ride it like a bat outta hell.
Plus new tires are slippery.At least for the first 50 or so
miles.
 
I have a 1200 sportster and a CB1100 and I am a little surprised that the Honda spanked the sportster. Pretty hard to race against myself but I would have thought it would have been very close. That sportster seems to pull like a tractor in lower gears.

As far as I am concerned both bikes have PLENTY of power. In fact unless you are riding two up any bike over 750 cc has more then enough (my opinion old guy remember)

When I first got into bikes a 300 cc was a BIG engined bike. Always wanted a 305 Big Bear Yamaha. Boy you never see one of those. Honda's are pretty common but the Yamaha's seem to be totally gone. Think that's because of the two stroke engines being less dependable and the bikes died young or that they just didn't sell as many?
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
I have a 1200 sportster and a CB1100 and I am a little surprised that the Honda spanked the sportster. Pretty hard to race against myself but I would have thought it would have been very close. That sportster seems to pull like a tractor in lower gears.

As far as I am concerned both bikes have PLENTY of power. In fact unless you are riding two up any bike over 750 cc has more then enough (my opinion old guy remember)

When I first got into bikes a 300 cc was a BIG engined bike. Always wanted a 305 Big Bear Yamaha. Boy you never see one of those. Honda's are pretty common but the Yamaha's seem to be totally gone. Think that's because of the two stroke engines being less dependable and the bikes died young or that they just didn't sell as many?

When your first street bike is a 50 cc, something with 6 times the displacement IS a big bike. Real " he men" rode 650 's lol.

Yamahas were just not as popular as Hondas and 2 strokes were never as popular as 4 strokes, therefore 2 stroke Yamahas are more rare.
 
Yep first bike was a Honda Cub (50cc) and it was amazing what that little bike was able to do. A few of the fellows had Triumphs and of course the old guys had Harley's (some few had BMW's which were the nuts then) (mid 60's) but the high school/college kids had Honda's and Yamy's with an occasional Topper scooter in the mix. Glad I started small. Had little or no sense about the danger involved with cars or bikes. First car was a SAAB 2 stroke with about 38 hp and that was what I needed. Ran it as fast as it would go and if I'd have had 200 hp I'd have run it the same. I'm here because my parents had enough sense not to buy a car that would have tempted fate.

Sports bikes? No such thing and glad for it.
 
I remember the 2 stroke Saab cars. Hardly anyone believes they even existed when I mention them. I was working in a Sohio station ( now BP) and a guy came in with one. Asked me to fill it up, pour a can of oil he had in the gas tank, then jump up and down on the bumper to mix it up. That was in 1965 ish. I was riding a 50cc 2 stroke Aermacchi badged harley at the time, so I was familiar with the two stroke pre mixing ritual, but had never seen it in a car before. It had to be explained to me that Saabs were from Sweden and drove good in the snow.
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
I have a 1200 sportster and a CB1100 and I am a little surprised that the Honda spanked the sportster. Pretty hard to race against myself but I would have thought it would have been very close. That sportster seems to pull like a tractor in lower gears.

As far as I am concerned both bikes have PLENTY of power. In fact unless you are riding two up any bike over 750 cc has more then enough (my opinion old guy remember)

When I first got into bikes a 300 cc was a BIG engined bike. Always wanted a 305 Big Bear Yamaha. Boy you never see one of those. Honda's are pretty common but the Yamaha's seem to be totally gone. Think that's because of the two stroke engines being less dependable and the bikes died young or that they just didn't sell as many?
Harley's basically run in the low 13's to mid 14's.
The V-Rod being the exception at 11.9
Softail Deuce at 13.1
Sportster 1200 Sport at 13.3
Sportster 1200 Custom at 13.8
Fat Boy at 13.9
Dyna Super Glide at 14.03
Dyna Super Glide Sport at 13.8
Heritage Classic at 14.2
Sportster 883 Standard at 14.7
Sportster 883R at 15.6

Like I said in an earlier post.I whipped the noodle of a
1200 Sporster a few weeks back.I even gave the guy a
chance at a hole shot.I remember my CB just passed the
300 mile mark.Like around 315.
The ferret_imp said:
I remember the 2 stroke Saab cars. Hardly anyone believes they even existed when I mention them. I was working in a Sohio station ( now BP) and a guy came in with one. Asked me to fill it up, pour a can of oil he had in the gas tank, then jump up and down on the bumper to mix it up. That was in 1965 ish. I was riding a 50cc 2 stroke Aermacchi badged harley at the time, so I was familiar with the two stroke pre mixing ritual, but had never seen it in a car before. It had to be explained to me that Saabs were from Sweden and drove good in the snow.
I haven't heard or read the word Sohio in probably 25 years.
Man,the closest gas station to my home growing up in
Cleveland was a corner Sohio gas station.That's where I went to
put like $ 2 bucks worth of gas into our MGB.I even remember
the cost of gallon of gas.I remember 34 cents.
 
Yep. One quart of SAAB two stroke oil and 7 gallons of gas. As to jumping on the bumper NEVER saw that one. I think a fill up cost $1:50 but that was a good hourly wage. Figure what seven gallons cost today and it's about the same. I'm driving a Chevy Spark as a daily driver and it reminds me of that little SAAB in some ways. About the same size. It's a WAY better car in every respect. The SAAB wasn't all that great on gas. Probably got 25 miles per gallon or a little better. The Spark gets about 35 at the worst. There is a 1969 SAAB on Ebay right now that's about as nice as I've ever seen. It's a 4 cylinder 4 stroke (much more powerful engine). I'd love to have that car but it's going to sell for crazy money.
 
I'm quite disappointed with the CB1100's performance. I have a series of many Honda Superbikes from the mid-70s to the present, and my 30-year-old 1983 CB1100F just spanks the new CB11 pooch.

That bike should have been the benchmark for the new CB11 for both style and performance. I need to find 20+ more hp for the newbie. But I'll trade up for a 2014 before doing so.
 
I guess it all depends what you were riding before this one. I was on a Buell Blast, so this has almost 2.5 times more hp stock, and closer to 3 times with the mods Fuzzy did to this bike per the dyno runs. It has all the power I need right now, sure I'll want more power someday.
 
I sold a 125 hp Yamaha FZ -1 to get my CB 1100. Horsepower isn't everything.
 
Back
Top