Day Ride to Flemingsburg

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
Demossville to Flemingsburg to Verona, Kentucky 26 May 2017. Counties: Pendleton, Robertson, Fleming, Bracken, Harrison, Grant, Boone.

415c548be35f36366a42cd3313cb3807.jpg

Ready to go.


0e7fe8ce3538fa0d6f06e892cedbf975.jpg

Hogg Ridge Road near Knoxville


d033fa1c1cce3d92d2d28abc925a6434.jpg

CSX railroad tracks near Morgan


77a3eb3eaf9a4014e6f407372c279cf9.jpg

Two nicely painted John Deere tractors on display near Boyd


315d4938ed894e373bbdc4698bfa1f34.jpg

Sod (rolls of live grass & soil for immediate planting on a new site) farm


cf1fbeb3b275f7e49165361e0f3c1bf8.jpg

Stopped at a cemetery in the country to thank a veteran. No personal connection to this man who served in America's "Forgotten War."


ee15dee4cd9eb2cb4f348bae2998d565.jpg

Fresh pavement near Oddville


cb631d49c0970377fceb897908e64fd9.jpg

Huge barn roof to collect rainwater into an underground cistern. Wells are not safe to drink from in sedimentary limestone areas like Kentucky...too easily contaminated by water flowing horizontally in crevices between layers underground.


2e1d8ee965b23aae31ec3ff37b9389c3.jpg

Near Nepton


303192b2891fcd5dbc10b9e92e2b25df.jpg

Flemingsburg, 1816. That's pretty old for Kentucky.


510398aff841b193ecdf0fff079839ed.jpg

Abandoned farm. The loss of tobacco as a cash crop has hurt the viability of farming as an occupation here.


10b701e8ff1e4a2dc80e0f5e58f819c0.jpg

Byway near Mt. Olivet


8a58810b8107c3cd23b05f40c2acb25c.jpg

Route
 
Nice pics Stichill. I love riding in Northern Kentucky. Beautiful scenery and great country back roads.
 
Really nice photographs and write up. I feel like I had the pleasure of doing the ride with you. And I like the weather you're having.
 
Thread starter
Glad you guys enjoyed the pics and vignettes. I like solo day trips like these without a fixed timetable, route, or destination. And no expectation of how many miles to cover. Stop when you want to stop, go when you want to go. Just kind of noodle along and go where you feel like going, letting the ride find its own way.
 
Nice photos and philosophy, Stichill.
 
Enjoyed your ride report and pictures Stichill. Type of ride I like, no addenda and my cell phone turned off.
 
Back
Top