Day 2: Lolo, MT to Rock Springs, WY

kennyw

Road warrior
Thread starter
Day 2 route map: 524 miles, ~11 hours



I stopped to camp just south of Lolo, MT. I woke up to cold and sunny weather, packed up camp, bundled up, and headed south.

I made my first stop at the Lost Trail Pass summit rest stop. My hands were numb due to the temps dropping to 35*F on the pass.






From there I continued south to Salmon, ID. It warmed back up to 50*F by this time and the forecast was for warmer weather there so I removed the rain jacket and headed southeast.

What I didn't realize was that road was actually a mountain pass. The longest stretch of straight road over a mountain pass in the world is my guess.

I cut across the north side of Idaho Falls towards Jackson, WY. This pic was a stop at the top of the pass just west of Jackson. This is where traffic got busy. Glad I just brushed the area and turned south from there.



US 191 south of Jackson into Rock Springs was a decent ride withlittle traffic.


The weather turned to rain as I approached Rock Springs so I opted for a hotel over camping that night.

But I did catch a nice rainbow just north of town.

 
What lovely looking country kennyw. Sounds like the trip's going well.
 
Oh my goodness, that 4 th pic down is a cool pic.
 
Lookin' good, Kenny!

You were lucky to find little traffic going over Teton Pass to Jackson. This time of year it's usually pretty crowded with tourists. It's one of the steeper, twistier passes around and great fun on a motorcycle when the traffic is light.

191 south to Rocks Springs is a favorite ride, at least until the terrain starts to flatten out and dry out.

Keep 'em coming!
 
Thread starter
I have updated the first post with a route map.
 
Big day it was too.
 
Glad you're having a good time Kenny. I run those roads several times a year. Good scenery! On the way back if you're coming around Ogden stop over and if the timing is right I'll put you up for the night.
 
Back
Top