Dart Marlin Fly screen

Ennsync_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I have a Dart Marlin which was installed by previous owner . It looks cool , but does not provide much wind protection at speed , is there any visor extension designed to be added to make this a little better for wind protection?

Also do you believe that the knuckle /hand wind protectors are useful and do not ad extra wind to the chest?
I love everything about this bike , just the wind is issue.
Or just use the bike as gentleman's bike and ride it locally at street speeds.
Thank you, Ride safe/Ride long
 
Ennsync_imp said:
I have a Dart Marlin which was installed by previous owner . It looks cool , but does not provide much wind protection at speed , is there any visor extension designed to be added to make this a little better for wind protection?

Also do you believe that the knuckle /hand wind protectors are useful and do not ad extra wind to the chest?
I love everything about this bike , just the wind is issue.
Or just use the bike as gentleman's bike and ride it locally at street speeds.
Thank you, Ride safe/Ride long
Although there is no way to be certain until you try any modifications yourself because there are many variables such as your height and the nature of any revisions you make to your windscreen, my prediction would be that if you added enough height to change anything, you would simply end up with increased helmet buffeting. Plus it might not look very good. If you wear a quality full face helmet that allows you to secure the extra length of your chip strap so it is not whipping you, ear protection and a riding jacket that doesn’t have a collar that flaps around and beats you up, you might be surprised at the speeds you can ride at for hours on end without additional wind protection.

If you want to check out a company that has offered air management solutions for bikes for years, check out Saeng. Click on the products link. They can be pricey, and I have no experience with how effective their products are.
Home
 
I have been using the Dart Marlin for three to four years. It is good maybe up to 120 km/h. After that, well, things don't get worse. My helmet does not experience buffeting. The biggest benefit of the Marlin appears to be taking maybe half the wind blast off the chest at normal highway speed, and thus, less fatigue during the journey. It also limits the "fashion impact" on the CB.

I reckon that you affix anything to the Marlin, the reliability or general comfort of the screen will become less and possibly unsightly.
 
I can speak to the hand guards. I have the National Cycle hand guards. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being great and 1 being useless, I would probably rate them a 5 or 6. They do block some air and some rain, but not nearly enough IMO. A much better solution would be the bark buster mitts that Jedd posted up the other day.

I use mitts on my sport touring bike and they are the cat's meow, especially with heated grips.

Hand guards beat having nothing, but only by a little bit imo.

Now, if you don't ride under 40 degrees, you probably won't notice how ineffective they are.
 
Why don't you have mitts on the CB, Ferret? Would they fit?
 
I hadn't found any that would fit until Jedd posted them up on his, which I am considering buying, ( however I cant tell if they are really mitts or just large soft hand guards) but honestly I did most of my really cold weather riding on the ST, and now on the FJR. I do ride the CB in cold/rainy weather obviously, but prefer riding the other in those conditions.

Gold Oxide, yes exactly
 
Yes. Given you have the FJR, it would be a bit silly not to use it in conditions for which it is better set up.

Fortunately I don't have to do too much cold weather riding; if I did, I'd be looking for some mitts.
 
They look a lot like the old Vetter Hippo Hands.

I don't think anyone puts them on their bike for looks. I used to use them years ago* when I routinely rode in sub-freezing conditions and they made a huge difference.



*When I was young, stupid and didn't own a car.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
They look a lot like the old Vetter Hippo Hands.

I don't think anyone puts them on their bike for looks. I used to use them years ago* when I routinely rode in sub-freezing conditions and they made a huge difference.



*When I was young, stupid and didn't own a car.
I no doubt they improve the riding experience, or rather, endurance. Can't help to feel literally symbiotic with the machine.
 
LOL, and if the mitts aren't quite enough, we could try this thing:
[attachment=9116]

That thing must be a joke. Can't be real.
 
LOL not sure i would go THAT far. But I do use a heated jacket liner, and mitts with heated grips (plus a fairing and windshield on the FJR)

I used to run Vetter Hippo Hands back in the 70's, so the mitts I use now are basically the same only not as nice. The old Vetter Hippo Hands were deluxe!
 
LOL! i don't know, that full body warmer might just be real, b/c
in the scooter world, this skirt for warming the legs is quite popular:


e235fe1eb824c75ec53dee2c3502e059.jpg


3f97c685c71642bff0b5c1d3f3a623f4.jpg
 
Back
Top