Dart flyscreen and a little Yoshimura stain magic

1985CB450_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Pulled the header on my recently purchased 2013 model for a good cleaning. Although she only had 2000 miles, her former owner did not spend much time in the garage cleaning her.

After reading about Yoshimura's magic cleaner I ordered a tube off amazon and pulled the exhaust to do the job properly

514d1f31e26593e1485ed64eea2551e4.jpg


I gotta say tracing back the wiring to disconnect the 02 sensor was pretty simple vs removing the sensor from the header.

It took a few hours and many rags but in the end it came out pretty nice. From now on I'll use my stainless seasoning process of wiping it down with wd40 before the next few rides.

I installed a Dart flyscreen at the same time and really like the look.

ed1ca3e3d841745a5b1338375f359ad6.jpg


I had already installed a 7/8 Emgo Superbike bar. An unexpected added benefit of the Dart flyscreen is in that their headlight brackets space the actual headlight about .75 inches further forward vs stock and this greatly helped with routing the extra cable slack due to the new lower bar.

Overall pretty happy with the ride. I've got around 300 miles on it running BT54's
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Good work, but looks like the front tire needs to go very soon ??
Yea I keep looking at the front and wondering why it looks so thin.....considering its brand new with about 300 total miles!!!!

It's wearing BT54's freshly bought and mounted last month. I had read this bike was hard in fronts and had even seen where people were replacing the OE fronts before the OE rear which is unheard of to my experience.

I have not bought Bridgestones since the 1980's and didn't measure these but visually the BT54 front looks much thinner than both Michelin and Dunlop tires I've been running on my other bikes.

I love this bike but the 18 in wheels are a real limitation. Back in the bias ply 1980's I ran a 16 inch Metzeler ME33 Comp K on the front of my GS750 with a 17 inch Dunlop 591R rear....no issues running different brands on different axles....

110/80 offers more choices, I was looking at the Dunlop Roadsmart, if the BT54 starts going off before its time I may try the Dunlop up front with the 54 rear
 
Not half bad. Please tell us how many hours you really spend on your pipes. I've been working mine for hours, and they
still don't look half as good.
 
Thread starter
thanks guys, cleaning the pipes took a half day incl mounting the flyscreen

Although stained, my bike only had 2000 miles on it so they were not that bad.

I like the look of seasoned stainless as it takes on that bronze hue, my issue was staining from road debris and grime.

Here's the stainless Hindle full system I had on my 2005 1200S

7e7dc17f331b8ce98244a618d94873a3.jpg


after a few thousand miles it started to take on the nice bronze glow, I bought it new and all I did was wipe it down with WD40 and a clean rag every few rides. It will smoke a little on the next startup but thats just part of the seasoning
 
m in sc_imp said:
gotcha.

keep an eye on that flyscreen, i have (had) one. it buzzed on the gauges on mine when in the wind, i took it off but will prob refit (after modding) this winter.
I found with the Dart Marlin flyscreen it was actually the harness connectors that vibrated against the inside of the plastic headlight shell. I wrapped the connectors and the buzz was gone.
 
m in sc_imp said:
I can assure you that wasn't it with this. tiny witness mark on the gauge to prove it too, which really pi**ed me off. My connectors in the HL are secured, I made sure of that when i added a power port.

BUT, that's good info to share GoldOxide
Dang m in sc. I don't like unexpected rattles and buzzes while riding. It is distracting and takes some of the bliss out of the ride.

Can you slip in a sliver of dense foam between the resonating surfaces?
 
Thread starter
I just broke my 500 mile mark on the CB with a run down the tollway at 85 mph and the flyscreen is tight as a drum on the mounts. The wind does move it around a little but it comes nowhere near the gauges.

Being a 5 speed and having no meaningful wind protection I can’t imagine running it any faster, besides this bike is out of its element anyway at those speeds.

I do like the look and the fit and finish I found to be top notch.

I did find the stock Honda hex bolts that mount the headlight bracket to the frame to be very soft, 2 of the 4 practically rounded themselves off coming out.
 
m in sc_imp said:
I plan on machining some small standoffs for the screen as i'll put it on im sure in the colder weather.

I don't know about it being out of its element at speeds, i ride mine well over 80 frequently and its fine. Actually, just did it coming into work this morning. :D
I find the Dart Marlin 50% effective maybe to speeds up to 120 km/h. After that, it does not really matter that it is there.
 
Thread starter
m in sc_imp said:
I plan on machining some small standoffs for the screen as i'll put it on im sure in the colder weather.

I don't know about it being out of its element at speeds, i ride mine well over 80 frequently and its fine. Actually, just did it coming into work this morning. :D
haha, you are correct in that its always more fun to ride a slow bike fast vs the other way around :)

I just dont like hanging out at those speeds without anything to tuck in behind. I just did a 1 yr stint on a 2012 Monster 1100 EVO and sold it for that exact reason. It was a blast down low but totally out of its element up at real speed.

I bought a new R9T Racer back in 2018 and did a 3 yr stint with it - its streamlined bikini fairing created just enough bubble to tuck into. She had a tremendous 6th gear roll on from about 80 and would storm right up into the triple digits with no effort

056b1122960eb6606c21aed0d46fd9bd.jpg
 
1985CB450_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
I plan on machining some small standoffs for the screen as i'll put it on im sure in the colder weather.

I don't know about it being out of its element at speeds, i ride mine well over 80 frequently and its fine. Actually, just did it coming into work this morning. :D
haha, you are correct in that its always more fun to ride a slow bike fast vs the other way around :)

I just dont like hanging out at those speeds without anything to tuck in behind. I just did a 1 yr stint on a 2012 Monster 1100 EVO and sold it for that exact reason. It was a blast down low but totally out of its element up at real speed.

I bought a new R9T Racer back in 2018 and did a 3 yr stint with it - its streamlined bikini fairing created just enough bubble to tuck into. She had a tremendous 6th gear roll on from about 80 and would storm right up into the triple digits with no effort

056b1122960eb6606c21aed0d46fd9bd.jpg
I think I really like that Camaro.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
LOVELY boxer:thumbsup:
thx, it was very much a gentleman's sportbike. I fell in love when I saw it and bought it without even riding it first.

BMW discontinued it after a few years as it was not a strong seller, main complaint was the riding position...go figure.

I loved the clipons and the bikes fit and finish was absolutely superb. Main issue for me was, like the CB1100, it needed major suspension help to the tune of about $2k, and in the end, with very limited tuning options, you were limited to its stock 110 hp.

I bought it in November 2018 heavily discounted by the dealer and kept it 3 yrs and 5500 miles before sending it to a new home.
GoldOxide_imp said:
1985CB450_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
I plan on machining some small standoffs for the screen as i'll put it on im sure in the colder weather.

I don't know about it being out of its element at speeds, i ride mine well over 80 frequently and its fine. Actually, just did it coming into work this morning. :D
haha, you are correct in that its always more fun to ride a slow bike fast vs the other way around :)

I just dont like hanging out at those speeds without anything to tuck in behind. I just did a 1 yr stint on a 2012 Monster 1100 EVO and sold it for that exact reason. It was a blast down low but totally out of its element up at real speed.

I bought a new R9T Racer back in 2018 and did a 3 yr stint with it - its streamlined bikini fairing created just enough bubble to tuck into. She had a tremendous 6th gear roll on from about 80 and would storm right up into the triple digits with no effort

056b1122960eb6606c21aed0d46fd9bd.jpg
I think I really like that Camaro.
I think I really like that Camaro.
485b97d5d6d3c19b3987c6ab5ac76ed0.jpg


One of my all time favorite shots
m in sc_imp said:
has nothing to do with 'slow bikes' its just a preference. I've been on & owned plenty of fast naked bikes. I don't like faired bikes. I also don't have an issue hanging on at high speeds. :bacon:
Its not a matter of fast vs slow per say but rather one of limitations and grip has nothing to do with it.
 
1985CB450_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
LOVELY boxer:thumbsup:
thx, it was very much a gentleman's sportbike. I fell in love when I saw it and bought it without even riding it first.

BMW discontinued it after a few years as it was not a strong seller, main complaint was the riding position...go figure.

I loved the clipons and the bikes fit and finish was absolutely superb. Main issue for me was, like the CB1100, it needed major suspension help to the tune of about $2k, and in the end, with very limited tuning options, you were limited to its stock 110 hp.

I bought it in November 2018 heavily discounted by the dealer and kept it 3 yrs and 5500 miles before sending it to a new home.
GoldOxide_imp said:
1985CB450_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
I plan on machining some small standoffs for the screen as i'll put it on im sure in the colder weather.

I don't know about it being out of its element at speeds, i ride mine well over 80 frequently and its fine. Actually, just did it coming into work this morning. :D
haha, you are correct in that its always more fun to ride a slow bike fast vs the other way around :)

I just dont like hanging out at those speeds without anything to tuck in behind. I just did a 1 yr stint on a 2012 Monster 1100 EVO and sold it for that exact reason. It was a blast down low but totally out of its element up at real speed.

I bought a new R9T Racer back in 2018 and did a 3 yr stint with it - its streamlined bikini fairing created just enough bubble to tuck into. She had a tremendous 6th gear roll on from about 80 and would storm right up into the triple digits with no effort

056b1122960eb6606c21aed0d46fd9bd.jpg
I think I really like that Camaro.
I think I really like that Camaro.
485b97d5d6d3c19b3987c6ab5ac76ed0.jpg


One of my all time favorite shots
m in sc_imp said:
has nothing to do with 'slow bikes' its just a preference. I've been on & owned plenty of fast naked bikes. I don't like faired bikes. I also don't have an issue hanging on at high speeds. :bacon:
Its not a matter of fast vs slow per say but rather one of limitations and grip has nothing to do with it.
Can't disagree as to why. :beerchug:
 
Sorry for the thread hijack, just taken my Dart off and going to try naked. Not sure if the screen does anything (it was on when I got the bike) and it seems to direct the wind up the front of my helmet.
 
Too many motorcycle jackets hanging in that garage....defiantly need to buy a few more bikes to much their number :)
 
hondadownunder_imp said:
Sorry for the thread hijack, just taken my Dart off and going to try naked. Not sure if the screen does anything (it was on when I got the bike) and it seems to direct the wind up the front of my helmet.
Wind screens and helmets seem to be a subjective matter with riders and bikes from all around. Nothing seems ever certain from one rider to another.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Too many motorcycle jackets hanging in that garage....defiantly need to buy a few more bikes to much their number :)
I agree, I was briefly up to 4 bikes after I bought the CB, dropped back to 3 when I sold the 1100EVO

I was telling my cousin who just got into riding to buy good gear and it will last a lifetime. All of the gear I have was bought over a 30+ yr period, you just gotta keep from getting too fat to fit in it.
 
Back
Top