Darn you Honda

Thread starter
Ollie_imp said:
Seems odd that Honda NA would pass given it's Honda's best seller in Europe. And they offer the Africa Twin here which shares a lot of the same components.
You'd think, right?
 
Disregard my message... I was referencing the police bike article that was already mentioned.

Bummer about Honda not wanting to offer the bike here. I may just be in the market for something like that soon. So what's the alternative, an FJR or a Concourse?
 
I've been waiting for the Hawk 11. I know it's not coming to the US. I also know I'm too broken to ride it. Would still buy one though, Honda...
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Disregard my message... I was referencing the police bike article that was already mentioned.

Bummer about Honda not wanting to offer the bike here. I may just be in the market for something like that soon. So what's the alternative, an FJR or a Concourse?
I think the FJR is discontinued or this is it's last year. It's already discontinued in Europe and Japan. So for Yamaha it would be the Tracer 9 GT+

2024 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT+ First Ride

Suzuki it's the GSX-S 1000 GT+ by all reports a very fine machine

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT+ First Ride Review

For Kawasaki it would be the Ninja 1000 SX SE

2025 Kawasaki Ninja 1100SX & 1100 SX SE First Look
 
I’m just projecting a bit. I’ve always had it in the back of my head that a sport tourer would be nice to prompt me to want to take weekend / long-distance rides. And now with a longer commute (albeit far less frequent), a mile-muncher might be a good bike.
 
Thread starter
I would suggest looking at the NT 1100 BUT YOU CAN'T!
 
The ferret_imp said:
I would suggest looking at the NT 1100 BUT YOU CAN'T!
Ha! Actually I will be looking at them, but hopefully not in my rear view mirrors. Huntington Beach is faithful to Honda for their police bikes and is still using their old STs. They must be excited for the new NT.

Hey, I’ll just pick up a retired HBPD ST unit!
 
Both the Kawi and Yamaha linked above may be capable bikes but aesthetics are still a thing that consumers care about. I just can’t get past the insistence of the manufacturers to continue on with the insect like styling. Its has to be well over a decade now that this design principle has been pushed on the public and I dare say it actually looks dated at this point.

I’ve posted several trip reports over the years where I pressed the CB1100 into the ‘naked’ sport tourer mode and the bike acquitted itself admirably. Folks think they need a 5 gallon tank as a starting point. For myself and my butt we’re ready for a break at 150 miles and that’s with a comfortable seat under us.

It really doesn’t take much to get the CB distance ready. A decent sized tank bag, some soft panniers, the OEM rack and your choice of whatever sized fairing you need for the protection you’re seeking.

What the bike has in spades is decent handling and power for a loaded one up rider. A neutral seating position which should provide more than adequate riding comfort on a multi-day road trip for most pilots without nagging back/hip/skeletal issues. Add to it it’s almost unmatched record of reliability and anyone should fell comfortable knowing that it’s almost a given the bike will bring you home no matter the distance covered.

Yeah, the Yama FJ and Kawi Concourse and a few others are purpose built for gobbling up miles and are pretty much ready to do that off the showroom floor. I can remember back in the 70’s riders having one bike to do it all. No purpose built machines. If folks could ride ratted 750 Honda choppers from coast to coast some of us ought to be able to knock out a few back to back days on a CB. Maybe we’ve just gone soft…..or gotten smarter?
 
I have no problem riding my CB long distances. I just want a new bike… waahhh.

And I know why. I seem to need to change vehicles when a big life change happens. I bought my CB1100 last time I changed jobs. My Bonneville when I changed jobs before that….

In fact, must run in the family. Step Dad bought a new car when he and Mom got serious.
 
I’m with Frulk.
 
Thread starter
Well you can't buy a new CB 1100 from Honda either
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Disregard my message... I was referencing the police bike article that was already mentioned.

Bummer about Honda not wanting to offer the bike here. I may just be in the market for something like that soon. So what's the alternative, an FJR or a Concourse?
To be fair Honda offers the revised 1100 Africa Twin Adventure Sport here and I'm not sure that it wouldn't make a better Tourer than their own NT1100 in most ways? It was lowered for 2024, comes with a 19" front rather than 21", has plenty of fairing protection, a large tank, nicer suspension than the NT on poor roads, tubeless tires, and 6-speed or DCT transmission.
 
Strolled through a dealership just now. Every year at this time, we watch the city of Redlands Christmas parade, and park next to a dealership for a quick exit. I always chat with the same sales guy who’s quite personable.

I checked out the Tracer 900 GT and the NC750. Both good considerations. He said that to his knowledge Honda will only be offering the NC with the DCT and no more manual transmission.

Interesting thought about the Africa Twin. He was actually suggesting the Transalp, saying it’s becoming a popular long distance and commuter bike.

Food for thought and maybe something that doesn’t weigh north of 600 pounds is a good idea.
 
I like that the Transalp is a little lighter, but it has more limited weather protection vs an NT or Africa Twin Adventure Sport, as well as inner tube wheels, 21" front tire, and no cruise.
 
Thread starter
If it wasn't so darned ugly the Tracer 9 GT+ would make a dandy sport tourer
 
The ferret_imp said:
If it wasn't so darned ugly the Tracer 9 GT+ would make a dandy sport tourer
Once you’ve gotten away from a classic bike like a CB, style goes out the window for me, and pure utility and functionality are the things I look at. I don’t mind that it doesn’t look “pretty”. The Tracer was comfortable and has lots of interesting features. The NC has that frunk.

I have a hard time getting away from a pretty bike like a CB or a Bonneville, but I can also appreciate the beauty of pure function.
 
^^^ From certain angles it’s reminiscent of the Harley Pan America with the lower portion looking very Bender the Robot like from Futurama
 
Thread starter
Yes, this ^
 
They have addressed all of the criticism of the early Honda NT1100's attracted with the new 2025 launch bike. A lot of practical changes, bigger panniers that can now take a full face helmet, redesigned screen which you can adjust on the bike and an electronic suspension option. They have also added a 6-Axix IMU to give it cornering ABS & Traction.

The 6-Axis IMU is an important component in conjunction with the DCT version of the bike. It makes much more intelligent decisions on changing gears.

I spent 12 days in the Dolomites earlier this year with a group of riders. One fella was two up on his 2024 DCT NT1100. Hairpin bends up and down mountains was our lot every day. He found his DCT changed gear at the most inappropriate times and he found it more than a little stressful. He found himself using the manual finger shifts most of the time instead. The new 6-Axis input into the bikes DCT brain should mitigate some (maybe all) of the silly gear change choices the bike can make.

It has been restyled a little bit too, for the better I think. Looks well in the Ash Metallic and Blue too.



 
Back
Top