Cycle World goes quartely, 4 issues/year

Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Tesla :nice looking cars but I would not invest one cent in the company.
Sorry you missed out. TSLA has been an excellent investment for me. I also own shares of F and TM. Fine cars but poor stock performance.

I was probably the last person to hear about it, but I read today that Elon is placing a Tesla Roadster in the payload of next week's maiden launch of the SpaceX Falcon Heavy. He's gonna release it into orbit and let it drift helplessly into space. Seems like NASA would discourage such a stunt.
Sorry you missed out. TSLA has been an excellent investment for me. I also own shares of F and TM. Fine cars but poor stock performance.

I was probably the last person to hear about it, but I read today that Elon is placing a Tesla Roadster in the payload of next week's maiden launch of the SpaceX Falcon Heavy. He's gonna release it into orbit and let it drift helplessly into space. Seems like NASA would discourage such a stunt.
Did you sell your shares in Tesla or still have them , the profit is only on paper if you did not sell them .Remember Enron ?
We have a lot of money in the stock market but I would never invest in just a few stocks , have a basket of stocks , much safer in the LONG run .Do not fall in love with the company.
I was probably the last person to hear about it, but I read today that Elon is placing a Tesla Roadster in the payload of next week's maiden launch of the SpaceX Falcon Heavy. He's gonna release it into orbit and let it drift helplessly into space. If the SpaceX vehicle actually makes it into space, which I certainly hope, it needs to carry something heavy anyway. I'm pretty sure Musk can get a new car, at a discount.

Just to be clear, is it going into orbit, or into space?

If it goes into orbit, the orbit will eventually decay and the satellite will burn up reentering Earth's atmosphere. This can happen pretty quickly or take months to years depending on the quality of the orbit.

If he's sending it into deep space, like a Mars mission, once it gets up its momentum it'll keep going more or less forever unless it collides with something.

Eventually it is going to come close to some object like a planet, which will exert its gravitational forces and pull the wandering Tesla to its eventual destruction.

Musk may think this is clever and symbolic but the Universe doesn't care about such things. It consumes all.

I like to think we all have an appointment with eternity; I have not yet heard of anyone who is willing to cut in line to get there sooner. It does sometimes seem Mr. Musk is trying, though.:thumbsup:
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Tesla :nice looking cars but I would not invest one cent in the company.
Sorry you missed out. TSLA has been an excellent investment for me. I also own shares of F and TM. Fine cars but poor stock performance.

I was probably the last person to hear about it, but I read today that Elon is placing a Tesla Roadster in the payload of next week's maiden launch of the SpaceX Falcon Heavy. He's gonna release it into orbit and let it drift helplessly into space. Seems like NASA would discourage such a stunt.
Sorry you missed out. TSLA has been an excellent investment for me. I also own shares of F and TM. Fine cars but poor stock performance.

I was probably the last person to hear about it, but I read today that Elon is placing a Tesla Roadster in the payload of next week's maiden launch of the SpaceX Falcon Heavy. He's gonna release it into orbit and let it drift helplessly into space. Seems like NASA would discourage such a stunt.
Did you sell your shares in Tesla or still have them , the profit is only on paper if you did not sell them .Remember Enron ?
We have a lot of money in the stock market but I would never invest in just a few stocks , have a basket of stocks , much safer in the LONG run .Do not fall in love with the company.
I was probably the last person to hear about it, but I read today that Elon is placing a Tesla Roadster in the payload of next week's maiden launch of the SpaceX Falcon Heavy. He's gonna release it into orbit and let it drift helplessly into space. If the SpaceX vehicle actually makes it into space, which I certainly hope, it needs to carry something heavy anyway. I'm pretty sure Musk can get a new car, at a discount.

Just to be clear, is it going into orbit, or into space?

If it goes into orbit, the orbit will eventually decay and the satellite will burn up reentering Earth's atmosphere. This can happen pretty quickly or take months to years depending on the quality of the orbit.

If he's sending it into deep space, like a Mars mission, once it gets up its momentum it'll keep going more or less forever unless it collides with something.

Eventually it is going to come close to some object like a planet, which will exert its gravitational forces and pull the wandering Tesla to its eventual destruction.

Musk may think this is clever and symbolic but the Universe doesn't care about such things. It consumes all.

I like to think we all have an appointment with eternity; I have not yet heard of anyone who is willing to cut in line to get there sooner. It does sometimes seem Mr. Musk is trying, though.:thumbsup:
For a minute there I thought you were talking about me and chocolate, but then I remembered that we were talking about Cycle World and, wait, what? :s
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Tesla :nice looking cars but I would not invest one cent in the company.
Sorry you missed out. TSLA has been an excellent investment for me. I also own shares of F and TM. Fine cars but poor stock performance.

I was probably the last person to hear about it, but I read today that Elon is placing a Tesla Roadster in the payload of next week's maiden launch of the SpaceX Falcon Heavy. He's gonna release it into orbit and let it drift helplessly into space. Seems like NASA would discourage such a stunt.
Sorry you missed out. TSLA has been an excellent investment for me. I also own shares of F and TM. Fine cars but poor stock performance.

I was probably the last person to hear about it, but I read today that Elon is placing a Tesla Roadster in the payload of next week's maiden launch of the SpaceX Falcon Heavy. He's gonna release it into orbit and let it drift helplessly into space. Seems like NASA would discourage such a stunt.
Did you sell your shares in Tesla or still have them , the profit is only on paper if you did not sell them .Remember Enron ?
We have a lot of money in the stock market but I would never invest in just a few stocks , have a basket of stocks , much safer in the LONG run .Do not fall in love with the company.
I was probably the last person to hear about it, but I read today that Elon is placing a Tesla Roadster in the payload of next week's maiden launch of the SpaceX Falcon Heavy. He's gonna release it into orbit and let it drift helplessly into space. If the SpaceX vehicle actually makes it into space, which I certainly hope, it needs to carry something heavy anyway. I'm pretty sure Musk can get a new car, at a discount.

Just to be clear, is it going into orbit, or into space?

If it goes into orbit, the orbit will eventually decay and the satellite will burn up reentering Earth's atmosphere. This can happen pretty quickly or take months to years depending on the quality of the orbit.

If he's sending it into deep space, like a Mars mission, once it gets up its momentum it'll keep going more or less forever unless it collides with something.

Eventually it is going to come close to some object like a planet, which will exert its gravitational forces and pull the wandering Tesla to its eventual destruction.

Musk may think this is clever and symbolic but the Universe doesn't care about such things. It consumes all.

I like to think we all have an appointment with eternity; I have not yet heard of anyone who is willing to cut in line to get there sooner. It does sometimes seem Mr. Musk is trying, though.:thumbsup:
For a minute there I thought you were talking about me and chocolate, but then I remembered that we were talking about Cycle World and, wait, what? :s
For a minute there I thought you were talking about me and chocolate, but then I remembered that we were talking about Cycle World and, wait, what? :s :rofl:
 
Back to paper mags....
There are those that believe that paper publications have some divine right to survival, based if on nothing else then on their glorious past, and that if they are failing it is somehow due to the low moral caliber the contemporary readership. Really?

There are two simple, in my view indisputable facts:

1) The economy of taking some electronic content, printing it centrally and then moving around a shipload of paper from the creators to the consumers will loose every time to the movement of that content in electronic form.

2) The ratio of content creators to content consumers has ballooned. Yes, it may be argued there was at the same time some dilution of the content quality, but the dry fact remains: the letters and images are now a buyer's market.

Would I pay for content?

Perhaps, but I wouldn't subscribe. I only subscribe to gods and services if I have absolutely no other choice. The rest of my life is strictly a cash-and-carry operation.
 
Nothing is guaranteed and any business venture knows that. Heck gasoline engines/car/motorcycles look like they may have a limited viable life expectancy. The Netherlands and Norway hope to outlaw them by 2025 (7 years), India by 2030 (12 years) and Germany, England and most of Europe by 2040. That's 22 years at the longest. Wondering how the US auto industry is going to come out of this.
 
Well, the new Cycle World in the new coffee table format came in yesterday. It is a nice magazine, very high quality, good large crisp color photographs. Nicely done. Not that I will use it as a coffee table book. It's still a paperback magazine. I read them in a night or two and pass them on to my Dr. riding buddy. Here's my dilemma. This is my last issue, my current subscription has run out. Do I want to renew and receive only 4 of these vs the 12 I was getting before for the same money? It's not a lot of money. Get a 2 year subscription and it's like $22 buck. Less than $3.00 a magazine for 8 of them. A lot of entertainment for $22. I'll probably do it. i like motorcycle magazines.
 
I got mine too. Hate it. Done with them. Done with Motorcyclist too.
 
Why do you hate it popgun?

I hated Motorcyclist for awhile.. Or as I used to call them the Ducati Shill magazine, but I think they have changed and are doing a better alround job as of late.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I got mine too. Hate it. Done with them. Done with Motorcyclist too.
This is what I feel too , no more for me.
If you like racing than the World of Motorcycle Racing is MUCH better than any other magazines.
I renewed my Motorcycle Consumer News for another 2 years.
 
Did anyone read the fine print inside the latest Cycle World (it's my last issue for the current subscription, as it turns out)? Yes, it's quarterly (now), but they do NOT guarantee that if you subscribe for a year that you'll receive four issues . . . you'll receive whatever they decide to print. You'll get a "year's worth".

Done. No more Cycle World for me. It's over.
 
I do not like the format. Its like an airline magazine. Big pictures, no writing, nothing much in depth.

I gave Motorcyclist a chance but just do not like it and now Cycle World doing the same thing. When my subscriptions are up I’m out. I’ll keep Rider and look into MCN tha Houtman mentioned.
 
I received my copy the other day and wasn't very impressed.
When this subscription runs out, I'm done.
Rider magazine is still my favourite anyway.
 
cookiemech_imp said:
Did anyone read the fine print inside the latest Cycle World (it's my last issue for the current subscription, as it turns out)? Yes, it's quarterly (now), but they do NOT guarantee that if you subscribe for a year that you'll receive four issues . . . you'll receive whatever they decide to print. You'll get a "year's worth".

Done. No more Cycle World for me. It's over.
No did not read that. HMmm I will look that up. That could make a difference wether I re subscribe or not
 
It seems more like a coffee table book than a magazine. I don't mind it, but it's not what I'm looking for.

I let my MCN subscription elapse after subscribing every year since 1994. I don't care for the new editor and his juvenile style of writing and motorcycle evaluation. The entry-level Suzuki GSX250R is underpowered? Compared to what, your Harley? The bike reviews read like sales brochures, nothing more. There's no technical evaluation.

Motorcyclist is no longer delivered to my mailbox either. The print is way too small for my aging eyesight.

Rant over.
 
I called and cancelled my Motorcyclist subscription and let the Cycle World lapse. Nothing in either to hold my interest. Rider, Motorcycle Classics and Road Runner I'll stay with.
 
Had both Motorcyclist & Cycle World & done with both. The new Motorcyclist is ridiculous. They go "large format" & brag about it then use the smallest text known to man & have VAST expanses of empty space on every page---there is less content on more paper--& no more bike reviews or stories. All like one page haiku's of various semi-moto related crap. Garbage. All I want is to read new bike reviews EVERY MONTH on the throne & they took that away. Not to mention I paid for 12 issues each then they decide they only need to make half that many (or less) & we're good. No, we aint good:hello:.
 
cookiemech_imp said:
Did anyone read the fine print inside the latest Cycle World (it's my last issue for the current subscription, as it turns out)? Yes, it's quarterly (now), but they do NOT guarantee that if you subscribe for a year that you'll receive four issues . . . you'll receive whatever they decide to print. You'll get a "year's worth".

Done. No more Cycle World for me. It's over.
WOW..that really was fine print. I had to get a magnifying glass and walk over to the window with the sun shinning thru to read it.

So they are publishing 4 times a year but that could change at any time, and your years subscription is based on time and not issues.

Kind of disturbing

Still it's only $22 for 2 years (who knows how many magazines, but in all likelihood 8), about the same price as 1 meal out with my sweetie.

BTW I liked the pic and article on the Gen 1 FZ-1 Yamaha. I had 2 of them, an 01 and an 04, and they really were special motorcycles. Transmission was kind of notchy but overall a superb package. Made a great solo sport-tourer.

b0b6803589e8eac171ca11b5b90b2436.jpg


4d17a0c7a7ba7e35ddc433daf87c1880.jpg
 
Cycle World,in my opinion,now no longer caters to the true motorcyclist. It has gone all boo-teak. A rag for the curious public to skim who might be interested in this "motorcycle thing". My renewal check is not in the mail.
 
Back
Top