Cycle World goes quartely, 4 issues/year

As a subcriber this makes no sense to me. They are going to go the the same motorcycle introductions, test ride the bikes, and tell me about them months after Rider (which I also subscribe to) does?
 
My CW subscription just lapsed and I wasn't planning to renew. With this announcement, I have few regrets.

Same with my one-year trial subscription to Motorcyclist. I don't care for the 6 issues/year and tiny unreadable font. Adios. Okay, so maybe I need reading glasses.

And my subscription to Motorcycle Consumer News, which I've had uninterrupted since 1995, will also not be renewed. But that decision had more to do with the new editor than with the format.

In the 70's, Rider was a preeminent touring magazine with lots of glossy pictures and great prose. The editor, Denis Rouse, left the magazine and retired to northern California. I felt the magazine lost its focus and quality after that.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
As a subcriber this makes no sense to me. They are going to go the the same motorcycle introductions, test ride the bikes, and tell me about them months after Rider (which I also subscribe to) does?
Not much gets past you!:thumbsup: Yeah, what a mess. A lot of people will be out of work. The quarterly will fail. They somehow have the notion that people will buy a "weighty" tome to peruse for several weeks. The images will be "artistic", the editorials will be "thoughtful", and the features "provocative". The writers will be falling all over themselves to outdo one other with the brand of pedantic drivel to which we've become so accustomed.

I just like that term so much, I feel very like a child who learns a new word and simply must use it as often as possible.:rofl:
 
I wish I had known that a few weeks ago when I renewed my subscription. Of the two I think I enjoy Rider the most anyway
That will be it for CW when this current subscription runs out - unless the issues are exceptional.
A quarterly will be months behind and of not much value by then I would think.
 
I won’t be re-subscribing. And I can’t stand Motorcyclists’ new format so I’m not re-subscribing to that one either. I’ll keep Rider for now.
 
I called both CW and Motorcyclist and cancelled; got my refund last week on the balance. I will continue with Rider, Motorcycle Classics, Road Runner and Motorcycle Consumer News though the later will also be dropped soon; MCN's quality has suffered since new crew took over.
 
No more Motorcyclist and Cycle world for me either , waste of paper.
Will keep MCN and I really enjoy Roadracing World.
I also have been getting for as long as they have been out the following British magazines : Classic Bike , Classic Racer, Classic Motorcycle Mechanics and The Classic Motorcycle .
All of these are great magazines worth every penny.
 
I won't be renewing my Cycle World subscription when it expires in March after close to 20 years. I just signed up for two years of Rider for $20. I will keep my Motorcycle Classics subscription as it is a great magazine.
 
I'm not going to cancel my subscript until I see what they come up with (because I love reading about motorcycles regardless) but I might not renew next time it's due.

I currently get Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Road Runner, Rider and Motorcycle Classics
 
Didn’t renew my subscription to CW in December. More sport bike info than I cared for. I’ll get all I need from Rider and Road Runner.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Would everyone who is cancelling their subscriptions to the very publications that cover (perhaps imperfectly) their most cherished passion, motorcycles, be willing to pay per article for the work of journalists that is currently published for free on digital platforms? Are you really saying that, even at 4 or 6 issues per year, you’re not willing to pay $10 or so a year for them? Is there an alternate model that would make you happy? Just asking for some friends.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
No, I wouldn't pay a nickel for that. The journalists are usually beholden in some way to manufacturers and so I don't trust them to be objective; moreover, generally they have some slant in their writing (for example, they really only like sport bikes or Harleys).

I'd much rather get the opinions of people on a forum like this, who tend to be self-selected in their tastes (so pretty much everyone on this site likes CB1100s). And they're not doing it for the money . . .
 
cookiemech_imp said:
No, I wouldn't pay a nickel for that. The journalists are usually beholden in some way to manufacturers and so I don't trust them to be objective; moreover, generally they have some slant in their writing (for example, they really only like sport bikes or Harleys).

I'd much rather get the opinions of people on a forum like this, who tend to be self-selected in their tastes (so pretty much everyone on this site likes CB1100s). And they're not doing it for the money . . .
Sure, but would you be willing to pay to read this content? (Don't worry, I'm not planning on charging for memberships as I'd much rather be able to call the shots around here and not have to answer to anyone but myself, lol.) I'm fortunate that I'm able to do something like this just for fun. But if I had to make a living off of running internet forums then I wouldn't be happy at all.

As far as Capo's question is concerned. I'm not sure that I would pay for just a single article, but I could see myself purchasing a bundle of content like a package that consists of a few bike reviews, or a combination of articles. Ultimately, if the single articles or reviews were enticing enough then maybe I would even pay for those in a piecemeal fashion. Ultimately I prefer printed magazines, but I don't currently subscribe to any. I tried to subscribe to Moto Retro Illustrated, but Mitch Boehm just couldn't make a go of it. I do still visit the newsstand every once in a while and pick up an odd assortment of magazines with content that appeals to me (I too love the British bike mags that include a lot of articles about working on your own bikes.) As printed publications are phased out then I'll become more receptive to the digital content but I'm certainly not an early adopter in this case.

A lot of people are going to be upset when they have to start paying for digital content, but if they act shocked I'll have little sympathy for them. As printed media continues to taper off then so too will free digital content. This is going to be hard for some people no doubt, but it is the way of the future. No doubt many people will complain, but younger generations are already in sync with this. Just look at the way music is consumed these days.

Moving forward, I'm sure that many publications will struggle to find a model that works for them and I don't envy them trying to figure this out. They need to keep as many people as happy as possible, both those that they have to pay (writers, designers, editors, etc.) and those that they need to obtain money from (subscribers, advertisers) to help take care of those they have to pay. I don't envy those folks who have to deal with this new balancing act transitioning from printed media to digital media, but I do wish them well.
One more thought regarding Capo's question. I do like the thought of being able to buy piecemeal content by those writers whose work I enjoy without having to purchase the articles written by those that I don't enjoy. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. For example I would have liked having the opportunity in days gone by of being able to buy Peter Egan's articles while passing on those written by John Burns. There are probably others whose buying habits would be just the opposite of mine. Another cool option for digital subscribers would be if they could vote on which writers would cover certain bike review or events in advance of the work being done. Now that would have my attention.
 
cookiemech_imp said:
No, I wouldn't pay a nickel for that. The journalists are usually beholden in some way to manufacturers and so I don't trust them to be objective; moreover, generally they have some slant in their writing (for example, they really only like sport bikes or Harleys).

I'd much rather get the opinions of people on a forum like this, who tend to be self-selected in their tastes (so pretty much everyone on this site likes CB1100s). And they're not doing it for the money . . .
'The journalists are usually beholden in some way to manufacturers and so I don't trust them to be objective; moreover, generally they have some slant in their writing.' That's a pretty broad brush statement. And patently false, but regardless, if you're saying you don't want opinion, POV, or perspectives, then, yes, you are not a likely customer for any form of journalism, other than perhaps spec sheets and pictures. And yes, the feedback loop of a model- specific forum can be comforting.

I'm going to continue to prod this, as we are at a serious inflection point in media. Nobody seems to want to pay for anything, everyone apparently wants precisely what they want, and nothing else, and nobody trusts anyone unless they agree with an already formed point of view. A la Carte but free. Not sure if anything moving forward will satisfy that. But yet, we do all want to have access to professional content of some sort.
 
I'm aligned with Guth. I probably wouldn't pay for single articles but I would pay for a package of content as long as it was fairly unbiased (MCN) and devoid of advertising. If I was required to wade through ads or constantly deal with pop-ups, then no. But my preference is for printed media, not digital. It's easier to deal with in the bathroom.

Hmm, Guth, I liked John Burns (and Egan of course).
 
I would be more than happy to have continued my subscriptions if the format and content had remained as before. I would have been willing to pay a higher issue price. I claim no knowledge of the publishing business but the changes that were brought, I feel, are the cause of their woes.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I'm aligned with Guth. I probably wouldn't pay for single articles but I would pay for a package of content as long as it was fairly unbiased (MCN) and devoid of advertising. If I was required to wade through ads or constantly deal with pop-ups, then no. But my preference is for printed media, not digital. It's easier to deal with in the bathroom.

Hmm, Guth, I liked John Burns (and Egan of course).
:rofl::rofl::rofl: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I refered to that as "going to the library" but my wife didn't think that it was all that amusing :D:D:D
 
Have only subscribed to non motorcycle magazines and over time have let those lapse. Just got out of the habit of having to know what the latest and greatest was in regards to cars (mostly). With a smart phone I can get any info I want wherever I want so I guess I’ve made the transition from print to digital media preference. I probably wouldn’t pay for any website access as what I’m paying for internet access, let alone individual access to specific content combined, would push me past what I would want to pay.
 
Call me old fashioned, but for me there's nothing like siting back in an easy chair with a cup of tea and a paper magazine to scroll through at my leisure. No electronics or power needed :D
 
Back
Top