Cycle World Comparison

hb9400_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Anyone else see the dec 2014 issue of cycle world? They compare the 2014 deluxe with the Indian Scout, BMW R nineT and Moto Guzzi Griso. They rave about the refinememt of the Honda yet it comes across as boring so once again its not the winner. Picking the Griso as the winner just made me chuckle.
 
Looks like it was discussed in 2 other threads...even though its the same thread. I agree tho...the Honda is the better bike. Whats retro about the Guzzi or Beemer? If the Beemer looked like an R65LS I could see it. Sort of. But a bike from the land of spaghetti and red paint jobs? Would have to mimic an Eldorado to be retro. Of course thats IMHO.
 
I'm in Long Beach at the Progressive International Motorcycle Show. Was there for over five hours today and I must say, that R nine T is a nice looking bike. They had a customized one on display and it definitely had a retro vibe. No Guzzis though. There was a lot of interest in the CB. There was only one (a red 2014 Dlx) on display. I asked the Honda rep if we can expect a 2015 in the U.S. and he had no idea.

The Ducati Scrambler is interesting but not as nice as I had expected. I definitely prefer the styling of the CB over the Duc. Triumph really has some pretty bikes. I was particularly drawn to their Scrambler. They had some custom versions that were awesome.

I sure love motorcycles. I have no doubt that the BMW and the Guzzi are great bikes. Still, no motorcycle at the show made me question my decision to go with the CB.

Oh, and that Indian Scout is gorgeous. I want them all!
 
I'm a subscriber and read the article.
Sorry CycleWorld, but nothing in the article changed my mind about my decision to buy the CB.
 
Rocky_imp said:
I'm a subscriber and read the article.
Sorry CycleWorld, but nothing in the article changed my mind about my decision to buy the CB.
Same here. The moment they started talking about a "stepped rev limiter" in the top three gears, I knew they had their head up their rear. In general, it was a fair depiction of the bikes character. Especially where they tagged the Honda as the "most retro" of the bunch. The whole article was supposed to be bikes that tug at your heartstrings. Short of the Indian, the others don't really have much of a retro vibe, if any. We have all stopped somewhere and had a stranger think our bike was a restoration of an older model. I seriously doubt that would ever happen with the other 3 bikes. As the Brits say, "Chalk and cheese."
 
RI wholly agree with you guys. I too, just subscribed to CW and looked forward to the article. I couldn't find it the first time I looked, thinking I was going to see a title like " comparison test " or something. If the CB was the most retro, and they couldn't get the keys back from the tester, and the article was about tugging at your heartstrings.... well, doesn't the CB win?! In an article such as this one, why does there have to be a clear winner? And can there even be a clear winner?

If you read it closely, there's a ton of complaints about the RNineT yet they say "for the most part it didn't disappoint".

And their big beef about the CB is the limiter on the top three gears? What the heck? If you don't like that the CB only gets up to 109MPH and the Guzzi can hit 133, say so. But no, you can't say that without appearing foolish... because how many riders need to or want to or will do or be able to do 130 on a naked bike?

Yeah, they blew it big time because right up front in their second paragraph where they say- But what if you are looking for a plain ol' motorcycle? Not the fastest, lightest, most agile or most exotic- just a good all-around bike? Didn't they just describe the CB?!

P.S.---- If I were a Triumph Bonneville owner ( and I used to be ) I'd be pissed that it was left out.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
RI wholly agree with you guys. I too, just subscribed to CW and looked forward to the article. I couldn't find it the first time I looked, thinking I was going to see a title like " comparison test " or something. If the CB was the most retro, and they couldn't get the keys back from the tester, and the article was about tugging at your heartstrings.... well, doesn't the CB win?! In an article such as this one, why does there have to be a clear winner? And can there even be a clear winner?

If you read it closely, there's a ton of complaints about the RNineT yet they say "for the most part it didn't disappoint".

And their big beef about the CB is the limiter on the top three gears? What the heck? If you don't like that the CB only gets up to 109MPH and the Guzzi can hit 133, say so. But no, you can't say that without appearing foolish... because how many riders need to or want to or will do or be able to do 130 on a naked bike?

Yeah, they blew it big time because right up front in their second paragraph where they say- But what if you are looking for a plain ol' motorcycle? Not the fastest, lightest, most agile or most exotic- just a good all-around bike? Didn't they just describe the CB?!

P.S.---- If I were a Triumph Bonneville owner ( and I used to be ) I'd be pissed that it was left out.
Yep! Then turn right around and complain that the Honda just didn't have the suspension or chassis to keep up with the "Europeans" when the ride got more twisty and aggressive. Not sure how much handling difference there is between the 2014 DLX (they were on), and my 2013, but my bike is no slouch. I take it on the same roads that I used to take my KTM 990 SuperDuke on, which would blow the Guzzi or BMW into the weeds, and while the CB is no SuperDuke, you can hustle it through the curves at a very respectable pace.
 
I often ride with a group of experienced riders and we ride on secondary, very twisty roads with lots of elevation changes and the limiting factor is my own abilities, not the CB's. It has done everything I've asked of it and I've never felt it getting "loose" or at its limits, and we've been able to keep up with the best of riders on whatever brand of bike.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
I often ride with a group of experienced riders and we ride on secondary, very twisty roads with lots of elevation changes and the limiting factor is my own abilities, not the CB's. It has done everything I've asked of it and I've never felt it getting "loose" or at its limits, and we've been able to keep up with the best of riders on whatever brand of bike.
The biggest thing I observe, when things get aggressive, is that the CB is slow to be flicked about. In other words, in an "S" turn when you are turning hard in one direction, the transition up and over into the opposite lean is slow. Otherwise, it accelerates, brakes, and turns hard enough to get the job done in a very spirited manner. My tires certainly don't have any chicken strips on them, and that is something I never expected with this bike. It was never my intention to ride it that hard, and it has pleasantly surprised me.
 
Well. I own a 2012 Tenni Green Griso and the CB. I find the CB a better flickable choice in the tight twisty bits. The Griso being a better open road bike. Roll ons at speed, the Griso spanks the CB. But the Griso has a bit Bad Boy in her while the CB is much more civilized. The Griso is certainly not a bike to ride in anger, she'll be an enabler.

The R9T is a great looking bike, never rode on though. I think I'd like it though.

So I recommend you don't choose, get one of each. :)
 
Rboe, how's the mileage on the Griso? What can you get out of a tank? I think I'd love a Griso, but I'm afraid my next bike needs to fill a much different role than the CB. I hate to say it here, but part of me wished I got a Griso over the CB. I think it's one of the best looking bikes made.
 
I average 42. A group has been tweaking the maps to increase that and I've seen 50 once. On road trips I fill up between 100 and 120 miles. I have gone has high as 160 but that is the rare exception.

I thought a CB purchase would make the CB surplus but they really do fill two different niches which is why I'm a bit confused by these comparisons with the CB. It's not unlike comparing a Miata with Mustang to a Vette. They not only attract different types of buyers, their focus is different; even though they are all sporty little cars.
One of the guys at our weekend romps says that the 2015 Griso uses a different ECU and injectors and gets better mileage. Something for you look into a bit more. Plus that orange is pretty attractive in person. IMHO.
 
I liked the Griso and understand why it rates higher than the CB. If I wouldn't had found a '13 with ABS used and with a full warranty, if paying full price I would have gone with the Griso.
 
Back
Top