Cut Down NS EX Shield

Like Ferret said " I'm no real fan of the look, but I'm going for function here", personally I think it looks to wide in proportion to its height and that's just from a form point of view not function. I volunteer to be an "early adopter" and will let you know how it works out.
 
Took 2 rides today a 43 miler early this afternoon to the locksmith to get a spare key cut, and then the long way home on back roads .... and a 26 miler after dinner, nothing but curves ride. In fact rode over and hit My Road featured in the video I posted about in another thread. The trip to the locksmith involved a bit of freeway riding so I tested the new short shield up to 75 miles per hour.

I was amazed how my chest felt no air pressure at all on the freeway. Stuck my hand out in front of my chest and just dead air. I'm liking this. It will be a great trip shield in lieu of riding it naked. No buffeting on the helmet, but there is steady wind pressure on the helmet. Good move as far as I'm concerned.
 
Thread starter
Glad its working out for you, the best part is its on and off in 10 minutes, although once you have it on for a month or two you won't want to take it off
 
I'm getting ready to cut my Street Shield. I experimented with many different angles and nothing made it any better. Sound was better with no shield. I decided after to try the Laminar Lip. The BMW R1200GS for 2005-2012 fits the NC Street Shield EX. I chose this over the MRA Vario Screen, primarily because of cost.

My first attempt was to mount it as high as I could at 2.5 inches above the street shield. It was worse, increased turbulence even more! Tried changing the angle several times, but the shield was better without it. I lowered the lip to be even with the shield hoping for improvement. It still was worse than the shield by itself.

Bottom line, if you are considering a Laminar Lip for your CB1100, have a second thought. I had high hopes, but to no avail. I'll be cutting my EX soon.
 
Leave the shield mounted as you have it. Measure straight up approx 10" from the ign switch and mark the shield there. That's where you want to cut it. For reference the top of my shield is 10 1/4" from the top of the headlight cut out in the shield. Your helmet will be in clean air, so you will hear wind noise, but you won't have head bobble, flag flapping sound noise. You chest should be free from wind pressure.



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB%20Jan%209%202016%20041_zps7nbsxwfm.jpg.html]
 
The ferret_imp said:
Leave the shield mounted as you have it. Measure straight up approx 10" from the ign switch and mark the shield there. That's where you want to cut it. For reference the top of my shield is 10 1/4" from the top of the headlight cut out in the shield. Your helmet will be in clean air, so you will hear wind noise, but you won't have head bobble, flag flapping sound noise. You chest should be free from wind pressure.



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB%20Jan%209%202016%20041_zps7nbsxwfm.jpg.html]

White Castle! This Ferret is my kind of guy... :cool:
 
If the cut is too square for you, round the corners a bit as I did. You can see it from the behind the screen pic.
Nemo_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Leave the shield mounted as you have it. Measure straight up approx 10" from the ign switch and mark the shield there. That's where you want to cut it. For reference the top of my shield is 10 1/4" from the top of the headlight cut out in the shield. Your helmet will be in clean air, so you will hear wind noise, but you won't have head bobble, flag flapping sound noise. You chest should be free from wind pressure.



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB%20Jan%209%202016%20041_zps7nbsxwfm.jpg.html]

White Castle! This Ferret is my kind of guy... :cool:

LOL hey it's cheap. All my money goes into gas and tires.
 
And angled valve stems and tea bags.
 
Ok, on the subject of the street shield ex, what hardware remains on the bike after the "quick release" of the windshield. I searched but can't find an answer. So do you remove the big round knobs up top and the wing nut type things on bottom?

Thanks!
 
That would be totally up to you. I'm leaving mine on when I switch back to the Road Comet for warm weather.
 
ryanschillinger_imp said:
Ok, on the subject of the street shield ex, what hardware remains on the bike after the "quick release" of the windshield. I searched but can't find an answer. So do you remove the big round knobs up top and the wing nut type things on bottom?

Thanks!
Ryan see pics here


Clean and naked again
 
You could actually remove more, the big knobs and the wingnuts but I didn't want threads exposed to the elements.
 
That makes sense. That's fine with me just to remove it occasionally. The bottom just loosens and slides out or do you open the clamp thing all the way?
 
At the bottom there is some friction between the bar and the plastic so you have to loosen it pretty far to get it to slide easy, but you don't have to remove it completely if that makes sense.
 
What I do is unscrew the bottom clamps all the way. The shield will then slide out without resistance. Then I put the thumbscrews back in with the clamps (mostly so I don't lose them :P ).
 
I hope to get a chance to detail the bike tomorrow and probably give that a try to see how works better for me. Glad others have experience with same setup.
 
I made my cut down of the EX. I tried the 10" recommended by Ferret, but still was pretty loud and felt like the wind was hitting my chin or just below. I then went bold and cut it down to 9" and 9.25 from the ignition. Wind is hitting the top of my shoulders and neck and the helmet still has wind noise, but no flag flapping. Chest is still air, except for what comes up hits around my waist area from below the shield.

However, I'm getting bugs on my helmet and shield again. Seems to be a trade off, bugs or flags flapping. I'm starting to think the EX isn't a great choice for the CB1100. Makes me question Rider Magazine's review.
 
Back
Top