Cut Down NS EX Shield

Thread starter
Dakota_imp said:
My ears ring after a ride even if wearing ear plugs. Did NS do any testing of this shield or did they just pick the closest standard shield off the shelf that would fit? Seems like NS should use this feedback to improve their design.
I spoke with them at length when i purchased my plexi 2 last month. They agreed with me regarding the shorter shield but have no intention of a shorter version. Its a 1 size fits all mentality.

The support of the EX four point is great, I've been way up in the MPH's and its very stable.
 
Angle of mounting the shield is important and a few degrees can make a whole difference. I experimented a lot to find the best mount position for my MRA shield. No I've a really smooth ride also at high speed.

Most shields are mounted just to steep.
 
Hard to say without a wind tunnel or a fast test ride.

I originally was going for the EX, but before pulling the trigger I made up some life size templates. From that I realized that what I really wanted should be drastically shorter and went with the smaller Deflector. At 10"-11" above the ignition (both CBs), everything above my chin is in clean air.

Now that it's winter and the CBs are sporting the bigger Plexi shields, they're tall enough that the wind starts right at the top of the helmet, keeping 90% of it out of turbulent air. Sounds like the EX put you right in between those two.
 
Yea Im a little bit afraid I didnt cut off enough.
 
Did you consider one of the smaller sheilds to begin with? Thinking about the F-16. Anyone have any experience with fitting one to one of our beloved Cb 1100?
 
So the saga continues. Today after reading Steve from Darts answers to my questions about the Dart shield, and after a pm and reply from Ptero, I decided what the heck, grabbed the Street Shield EX and cut off another 3", so now from bottom of headlight cutout to top of shield it measures 10" ( down from 17"). Looks kind of weird, ( the world's widest Dart screen? Lol) but it should be real steady with the 4 point mount and CIP "GUARANTEES" me this will be the cats meow. No more flag flapping noise, just clean air for my head, and protection for my chest. Have it all sanded and flame burnished and will try and get it installed and test ridden this weekend.

 
Be interested to hear how it goes.
 
Thread starter
Your going to really like it, gives you great chest protection and clean air at the helmet. Unless you look down its like riding without the shield. You won't want to take it off once its on, and if you do you'll really feel naked:P
 
OK shield is mounted up. Got to say I'm no real fan of the look, but I'm going for function here, so if it works I don't care what it looks like.Once it gets a little warmer (20 degrees below normal right now) it will go back to the naked bike I love unless I really really like it. I am at just over 10 1/2 above ign. May get to test ride Tuesday when it warms up a bit.



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/March%2028%202015%20023_zpsuliz10ba.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/March%2028%202015%20021_zps29o2kctp.jpg.html]
 
I like it. It has a sort of retro feel to it as if it was once mounted to a police bike in London or something. If it works, you shoud have "CB1100" in big vinyl letters across the top where my imagination tells me that "POLICE" would have been written. (Keep in mind that I've had a lot of coffee this morning and that could be affecting my thought processes.)
 
I too am interested in how this comes out. CIP57, is yours installed on the DLX like Mickey's? IOW's - gauge cluster same size in both?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
CIP had it pulled forward but was getting some headlight reflecting back in it on the right side for some reason. Do you see any light in yours? Also I have the chrome cups and don't want the shield rubbing against them. I can' probably adjust it a little more.

Ok just went out and brought the front all the way out to the edge and the top in a little more. Will see how it goes. Just need to test ride with big crescent wrench for top nuts if adjustment is needed lol.

Trey CIPs is a 2013..different gauges, different headlight height. My headlight is 1" closer to the gauges. Makes that angle different on the shield.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
CIP had it pulled forward but was getting some headlight reflecting back in it on the right side for some reason. Do you see any light in yours? Also I have the chrome cups and don't want the shield rubbing against them. I can' probably adjust it a little more.

Ok just went out and brought the front all the way out to the edge and the top in a little more. Will see how it goes. Just need to test ride with big crescent wrench for top nuts if adjustment is needed lol.

Trey CIPs is a 2013..different gauges, different headlight height. My headlight is 1" closer to the gauges. Makes that angle different on the shield.
Where mine is now i don't get any headlight reflection at night, more forward lights up the shield. I set mine on the gauges then backed off 1/8" not to get any vibration.
 
I know I'm going to want to put a windshield on my DLX and have been reading a lot of the Posts here. I like the minimalist look of the Dart Flyscreen, but some have not been satisfied with the original one. I noticed that the new Marlin has arrived and according to the web site it's about 3" higher than the Classic or original. I compared their picture of the Marlin to Ferret's picture yesterday of his chopped version of the NS EX and they look to be very similar in height which seems to be the main point of concern. Is width a huge concern ?
 
Thread starter
Chapomis_imp said:
I know I'm going to want to put a windshield on my DLX and have been reading a lot of the Posts here. I like the minimalist look of the Dart Flyscreen, but some have not been satisfied with the original one. I noticed that the new Marlin has arrived and according to the web site it's about 3" higher than the Classic or original. I compared their picture of the Marlin to Ferret's picture yesterday of his chopped version of the NS EX and they look to be very similar in height which seems to be the main point of concern. Is width a huge concern ?
Height is very important, anything more than 11" in height is going to hit you above the shoulders and cause buffeting. The wider the shield the more protection to your chest and shoulders.

After review the Marlin is 294MM or 11.57 which is close, the width is not much more than the gauges, guess you would have to mount one and see.
 
The marlin is so narrow (and I'm not . . . ), I'll be curious to see how Marlin "early adopters" fare . . .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top