Cut Down NS EX Shield

CIP57_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Mickey,

I cut 4 1/4 inches off the shield today. It's much better, should have gone a full five. Wind starts right at the mouth. Buffeting has gone down considerably. I have to say its looks 100% better and the view from the seat feels right. Feel like I'm on my ST now with the shield down all the way.
Job came out perfect ( surprise to me ) looks like factory edges.
I used a jigsaw and then a vibrating sander with med than fine. I was going to sell it now its a keeper.

Cheers
 
Wow, love bold moves lol. Much better eh? I may have to do that when I get back. My summer shield on my ST is a stock shield cut down 5 1/2 inches lol.

Nice job!
 
Have you tried riding with full face helmet shield partially or fully open? With open face and glasses?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Have you tried riding with full face helmet shield partially or fully open? With open face and glasses?
Only went out for a short ride full helmet last eve, will try and give you an update.
 
Thread starter
Went for a ride with half helmet and glasses. Its real close Mickey, wind will hit you in the lip area. Straighten your body up and its real clean. I wear Bobster full goggles and ear plugs. I need to cut 1 inch more.
If i had to do it again i would try the edge guide on the jigsaw and set to 5 and a 1/4 and follow the contour of the existing shield. I would do a test at 2 inches first to make sure it works well.
I measured from the bottom indent on the shield when i marked.
We'll, off to cut some more:thumbsup:
 
You are developing good data. I'd be curious how high it ends up as measured above the top of the ignition key.

I get some head turbulance with the Puig Plus at speed. It makes a sound around my helmet like a flag whipping in a gale wind. I stand up in smooth air and the sound disappears.
 
I can tell you the NC Street Shield EX as I have it mounted ( 1 1/2" above headlight ring) measures 17 1/4" above the ignition switch itself.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I can tell you the NC Street Shield EX as I have it mounted ( 1 1/2" above headlight ring) measures 17 1/4" above the ignition switch itself.
OK guys,

Mine was about the same, i just lowered it to just above the headlight and measured for CB4ME, with lowering it down to about 1/2 above headlight for clearance this is what i have::

ignition to top 12 1/4
sitting forward on seat, yard stick in Indent were the tank meets the seat to my chin is 24 1'4
Difference of 12"
Just went full helmet, cracked is no good full open is the same as clean air when i stand on pegs. And as i mentioned you can now where a half helmet with goggles. I'm not going to cut anymore at this point, its very manageable.
 
CIP57_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I can tell you the NC Street Shield EX as I have it mounted ( 1 1/2" above headlight ring) measures 17 1/4" above the ignition switch itself.
OK guys,

Mine was about the same, i just lowered it to just above the headlight and measured for CB4ME, with lowering it down to about 1/2 above headlight for clearance this is what i have::

ignition to top 12 1/4
sitting forward on seat, yard stick in Indent were the tank meets the seat to my chin is 24 1'4
Difference of 12"
Just went full helmet, cracked is no good full open is the same as clean air when i stand on pegs. And as i mentioned you can now where a half helmet with goggles. I'm not going to cut anymore at this point, its very manageable.
OK guys,

Mine was about the same, i just lowered it to just above the headlight and measured for CB4ME, with lowering it down to about 1/2 above headlight for clearance this is what i have::

ignition to top 12 1/4
sitting forward on seat, yard stick in Indent were the tank meets the seat to my chin is 24 1'4
Difference of 12"
Just went full helmet, cracked is no good full open is the same as clean air when i stand on pegs. And as i mentioned you can now where a half helmet with goggles. I'm not going to cut anymore at this point, its very manageable.
Nice going!
 
Thread starter
Mickey,

Having a addictive personality and a perfectionist i cut 2 more inches off the shield. Buffeting is gone and wind hits the same as my XX right in the shoulders. Its the perfect height to eat up some miles without the pressure on your chest. Lane changes at 70 are quick and precise almost the same as no shield.
So, that's a total of 6 1/4"

I've attached some pic's for you. Excuse my finger:thumbsup:

Edit:: Don't use the edge guide free hand it
 
Wow thats a lot of difference from the stock shield. About collar bone would be perfect I would think from a wind perspective.

Cool!
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Wow thats a lot of difference from the stock shield. About collar bone would be perfect I would think from a wind perspective.

Cool!
Go 5" if u don't like the buffeting go more, PM me and let me know how you make out.

Cheers
 
I won't be doing anything to my shield until I get back from. This next trip and decide if I can live with it as is or if it needs modification, but glad you already did the leg work on this.

Have to tried riding with a cracked or open face shield yet?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I won't be doing anything to my shield until I get back from. This next trip and decide if I can live with it as is or if it needs modification, but glad you already did the leg work on this.

Have to tried riding with a cracked or open face shield yet?
Open face shield with glasses is fine, same as with no shield. Full hat fully open or cracked is the same as no shield. The shield also adds a bit of down pressure on the front end making it a bit more stable at speed. If you shake your front end at 70 there's more stability. I'm sure it must take a bit of pressure off the back tire as well. With the full shield i used caution going through my favorite twisty, i bang right through them now pushing hard out of the turn. I can't find anything negative at this height. Perfect 3 season shield.
 
Thread starter
Forgot to add in important point, that noise you hear coming up from the engine because of the shield ( that clatter ) is gone.
 
Interesting. I hear it on the bike naked, wonder how the cut shield would block that?

Man, wish you lived around here so I could test ride yours before taking a power saw to my brand new shield ha ha.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Interesting. I hear it on the bike naked, wonder how the cut shield would block that?

Man, wish you lived around here so I could test ride yours before taking a power saw to my brand new shield ha ha.
I wear ear plugs and hear nothing naked, when i put the full shield on it was enhanced.
If you had time before your trip i would box it and send it to you.
 
Steve..just sent you an email..( meant to hit pm but hit wrong key)
 
CIP57_imp said:
Mickey,

I cut 4 1/4 inches off the shield today. It's much better, should have gone a full five. Wind starts right at the mouth. Buffeting has gone down considerably. I have to say its looks 100% better and the view from the seat feels right. Feel like I'm on my ST now with the shield down all the way.
Job came out perfect ( surprise to me ) looks like factory edges.
I used a jigsaw and then a vibrating sander with med than fine. I was going to sell it now its a keeper.

Cheers
which tools you use to cut / ground the plexiglass?
 
Back
Top