Custom saddle... gel or no gel?

alexzanutto_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey there!

So the CB is doing great (we put something like 350 miles in 3 days on it)

Only problem is the seat is done. Previous owner must have been pretty heavy and it's 8 years old anyway...

I can't get seats here in the UK (importing a Corbin would be a nightmare after brexit and not everyone likes them anyway). But we do have several people that can re-do the original seat.

Now, everyone puts gel inserts in them and they swear they last forever and are not temperature sensitive. Except this one guy who swears that there is no such thing as a gel inserts that won't either Cook you or freeze you and that the foam he uses is the best option in terms of how long it will last.

Opinions?

Cheers!

'13 CB1100 A White
 
alexzanutto_imp said:
Hey there!

So the CB is doing great (we put something like 350 miles in 3 days on it)

Only problem is the seat is done. Previous owner must have been pretty heavy and it's 8 years old anyway...

I can't get seats here in the UK (importing a Corbin would be a nightmare after brexit and not everyone likes them anyway). But we do have several people that can re-do the original seat.

Now, everyone puts gel inserts in them and they swear they last forever and are not temperature sensitive. Except this one guy who swears that there is no such thing as a gel inserts that won't either Cook you or freeze you and that the foam he uses is the best option in terms of how long it will last.

Opinions?

Cheers!

'13 CB1100 A White
That has got nothing to do with Brexit. Importing anything into the UK from the US (or other non EU countries) has always been expensive. Goods with any value have been subject to Import Tax and VAT for a very long time.
 
Thread starter
Tev62_imp said:
alexzanutto_imp said:
Hey there!

So the CB is doing great (we put something like 350 miles in 3 days on it)

Only problem is the seat is done. Previous owner must have been pretty heavy and it's 8 years old anyway...

I can't get seats here in the UK (importing a Corbin would be a nightmare after brexit and not everyone likes them anyway). But we do have several people that can re-do the original seat.

Now, everyone puts gel inserts in them and they swear they last forever and are not temperature sensitive. Except this one guy who swears that there is no such thing as a gel inserts that won't either Cook you or freeze you and that the foam he uses is the best option in terms of how long it will last.

Opinions?

Cheers!

'13 CB1100 A White
That has got nothing to do with Brexit. Importing anything into the UK from the US (or other non EU countries) has always been expensive. Goods with any value have been subject to Import Tax and VAT for a very long time.
That has got nothing to do with Brexit. Importing anything into the UK from the US (or other non EU countries) has always been expensive. Goods with any value have been subject to Import Tax and VAT for a very long time. Anything that came from the US had vat and all, but now if I were to get a Corbin seat from the EU distributor I would get slapped with another 20% vat upon import in the uk and up to 12% tax. For a seat that I might not like...

Importing has always been expensive (not from the EU), but Brexit has made it worse.

And don't get me started on shipping issues, lol...

'13 CB1100 A White
 
I've never had a gel seat, but I did have a gel pad once. It felt like a piece of peanut butter and jelly with the top piece of bread sliding one way and the bottom pieeof bread sliding another way. FOR ME..I'd go with foam.
 
I had a gel insert put on my CB, it didn’t help much at all. I don’t feel anything squishy, just not much help. They imbedded it down 1/4 inch below the top then add 1/4 inch foam on top. Haven’t noticed any extra heat if left in the sun.

I did have one put in my old Triumph Tiger 1050 and it worked great there. Made it an all day seat. That Tiger seat was wider and almost completely flat. Had them shave the edges slightly also to help my short legs.

That insert was about $90 and then $150 to have it installed.
 
I have no opinion on gel vs. foam, but I do think the import issue is interesting. Just today I ordered a Givi windscreen from Italy at 70% of the cost of the identical part in the US, including overseas shipping.
 
Is there a reason why you don’t enjoy the summer weather, take your bike on a ferry, and replace the seat in France (pre-ordered). VAT vs. cost of the trip.... Not less expensive, but surely more fun !
 
I've had two gel seats and both were very uncomfortable.
First was for an XJR and it was custom made for both rider and pillion and looked very good on the bike with its red piping and XJR in red on the step up. Comfort wise it was very very hard and it halved my riding distance. I would liken it to a horse saddle.

Second was for a Yamaha bulldog bought from Ebay and looked brilliant with all the piping and picture of a bulldog on the pillion seat but comfort wise was worse than the above. I think the original owner had it made lower so less gel maybe.


The standard RS seat is one of the best I've had and is on par with the FJR.
The worst seat is the cb500f.

I've bought many things from US,China and Germany and never paid anything extra, I think its down to if it gets checked at customs or not.
 
alexzanutto_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
alexzanutto_imp said:
Hey there!

So the CB is doing great (we put something like 350 miles in 3 days on it)

Only problem is the seat is done. Previous owner must have been pretty heavy and it's 8 years old anyway...

I can't get seats here in the UK (importing a Corbin would be a nightmare after brexit and not everyone likes them anyway). But we do have several people that can re-do the original seat.

Now, everyone puts gel inserts in them and they swear they last forever and are not temperature sensitive. Except this one guy who swears that there is no such thing as a gel inserts that won't either Cook you or freeze you and that the foam he uses is the best option in terms of how long it will last.

Opinions?

Cheers!

'13 CB1100 A White
That has got nothing to do with Brexit. Importing anything into the UK from the US (or other non EU countries) has always been expensive. Goods with any value have been subject to Import Tax and VAT for a very long time.
That has got nothing to do with Brexit. Importing anything into the UK from the US (or other non EU countries) has always been expensive. Goods with any value have been subject to Import Tax and VAT for a very long time. Anything that came from the US had vat and all, but now if I were to get a Corbin seat from the EU distributor I would get slapped with another 20% vat upon import in the uk and up to 12% tax. For a seat that I might not like...

Importing has always been expensive (not from the EU), but Brexit has made it worse.

And don't get me started on shipping issues, lol...

'13 CB1100 A White
That has got nothing to do with Brexit. Importing anything into the UK from the US (or other non EU countries) has always been expensive. Goods with any value have been subject to Import Tax and VAT for a very long time. Anything that came from the US had vat and all, but now if I were to get a Corbin seat from the EU distributor I would get slapped with another 20% vat upon import in the uk and up to 12% tax. For a seat that I might not like...

Importing has always been expensive (not from the EU), but Brexit has made it worse.

And don't get me started on shipping issues, lol...

'13 CB1100 A White
Exporters from the EU to the UK can drop their local VAT element so you only pay UK VAT but you still have to pay the UK duty of course. I am hoping trade deals with a larger group of countries will be of benefit in the end rather than the price inflating protectionist policies of the EU.
 
Thread starter
Tev62_imp said:
alexzanutto_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
alexzanutto_imp said:
Hey there!

So the CB is doing great (we put something like 350 miles in 3 days on it)

Only problem is the seat is done. Previous owner must have been pretty heavy and it's 8 years old anyway...

I can't get seats here in the UK (importing a Corbin would be a nightmare after brexit and not everyone likes them anyway). But we do have several people that can re-do the original seat.

Now, everyone puts gel inserts in them and they swear they last forever and are not temperature sensitive. Except this one guy who swears that there is no such thing as a gel inserts that won't either Cook you or freeze you and that the foam he uses is the best option in terms of how long it will last.

Opinions?

Cheers!

'13 CB1100 A White
That has got nothing to do with Brexit. Importing anything into the UK from the US (or other non EU countries) has always been expensive. Goods with any value have been subject to Import Tax and VAT for a very long time.
That has got nothing to do with Brexit. Importing anything into the UK from the US (or other non EU countries) has always been expensive. Goods with any value have been subject to Import Tax and VAT for a very long time. Anything that came from the US had vat and all, but now if I were to get a Corbin seat from the EU distributor I would get slapped with another 20% vat upon import in the uk and up to 12% tax. For a seat that I might not like...

Importing has always been expensive (not from the EU), but Brexit has made it worse.

And don't get me started on shipping issues, lol...

'13 CB1100 A White
That has got nothing to do with Brexit. Importing anything into the UK from the US (or other non EU countries) has always been expensive. Goods with any value have been subject to Import Tax and VAT for a very long time. Anything that came from the US had vat and all, but now if I were to get a Corbin seat from the EU distributor I would get slapped with another 20% vat upon import in the uk and up to 12% tax. For a seat that I might not like...

Importing has always been expensive (not from the EU), but Brexit has made it worse.

And don't get me started on shipping issues, lol...

'13 CB1100 A White
Exporters from the EU to the UK can drop their local VAT element so you only pay UK VAT but you still have to pay the UK duty of course. I am hoping trade deals with a larger group of countries will be of benefit in the end rather than the price inflating protectionist policies of the EU.
That has got nothing to do with Brexit. Importing anything into the UK from the US (or other non EU countries) has always been expensive. Goods with any value have been subject to Import Tax and VAT for a very long time. Anything that came from the US had vat and all, but now if I were to get a Corbin seat from the EU distributor I would get slapped with another 20% vat upon import in the uk and up to 12% tax. For a seat that I might not like...

Importing has always been expensive (not from the EU), but Brexit has made it worse.

And don't get me started on shipping issues, lol...

'13 CB1100 A White
Exporters from the EU to the UK can drop their local VAT element so you only pay UK VAT but you still have to pay the UK duty of course. I am hoping trade deals with a larger group of countries will be of benefit in the end rather than the price inflating protectionist policies of the EU. Tell me about it... we've been having massive problems. A portion of our business is in Ireland and we've been having issues sending larger items over there (anything that's not letters to be honest)

Let's hope they sort this out...

Anyway, way off topic. Back to seats!

'13 CB1100 A White
 
Instead of seat swapping some bikers wear the gel cycling shorts under their biker gear that way you have gel comfort on any bike you ride.
Halfords, Aldi, UK Amazon ect sell them.
 
Thread starter
@gmike and @The ferret thanks for the input. I am leaning towards no gel now. Too many contrasting opinions...

@LongRanger I am not sure, but I am under the impression that importing into the US might be less expensive than importing in the UK or EU.

@j3gq I wish... bottom line now there is not enough money (is there ever) and a Corbin seat by itself would be at least 3 times more expensive than re-do the original seat

@Mixagon I am thinking maybe you got lucky? Importing from the EU before brexit was no problem. Now there is a trade deal with Japan, but I honestly don't know how that works. All I know is that two month ago my inlaws sent us a box of our stuff from Italy that we had left there before moving to the UK. We didn't pay any vat of course but got slapped with 50-odd quid worth of import tax!

'13 CB1100 A White
 
You can always get an AirHawk, actually I was seriously giving it a thought this morning, after 7 hours I ended up standing on the pegs for the last 10km. My seat is raised by an inch with foam, it's as firm as it ever was, I don't mind it for short runs, but after a long time in the saddle you want some pressure off.
All my wheelchair dependant patients have these air-cushions to prevent pressure-sores, and the ones that don't, I recommend them. If it's good enough for their bony behinds, it's good enough for me

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
tod.branko_imp said:
You can always get an AirHawk, actually I was seriously giving it a thought this morning, after 7 hours I ended up standing on the pegs for the last 10km. My seat is raised by an inch with foam, it's as firm as it ever was, I don't mind it for short runs, but after a long time in the saddle you want some pressure off.
All my wheelchair dependant patients have these air-cushions to prevent pressure-sores, and the ones that don't, I recommend them. If it's good enough for their bony behinds, it's good enough for me

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Thanks! Right now we are not getting off the island, so there is no 7 hours of saddle time in the near future... but I will definitely keep it in mind when we tour Europe... to they make then for pillion as well?

'13 CB1100 A White
 
alexzanutto_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
You can always get an AirHawk, actually I was seriously giving it a thought this morning, after 7 hours I ended up standing on the pegs for the last 10km. My seat is raised by an inch with foam, it's as firm as it ever was, I don't mind it for short runs, but after a long time in the saddle you want some pressure off.
All my wheelchair dependant patients have these air-cushions to prevent pressure-sores, and the ones that don't, I recommend them. If it's good enough for their bony behinds, it's good enough for me

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Thanks! Right now we are not getting off the island, so there is no 7 hours of saddle time in the near future... but I will definitely keep it in mind when we tour Europe... to they make then for pillion as well?

'13 CB1100 A White
Thanks! Right now we are not getting off the island, so there is no 7 hours of saddle time in the near future... but I will definitely keep it in mind when we tour Europe... to they make then for pillion as well?

'13 CB1100 A White Actually yes, there are a few different shapes, trapezoid one is likely for the rider as the seats generally taper towards the tank, but then there are these rectangular ones which can be used for either and old-fashioned riders seats or pillion seats. A ridding buddy of mine keeps a rectangular one on his KTM 500 excf, he's tall so he doesn't mind

'
 
Wonderful things, Air Hawk cushions
 
What Cormanus said!
 
Air Hawks: The only ill words I've heard of them are from folks that put too much air in them. Otherwise, universely liked.

Gel: In Phoenix, if you make the mistake of letting your bike sit in the sun the gel can absorb the heat. Chestnuts roasting on an open flame comes to mind when you rejoin your bike. Heat seems to also cause the gel to break down and become like a board that then cracks.

Custom seats: I've had decent luck with local custom seat makers, but after using a Russell Day Long on my Griso I ordered one for the CB. I've been disappointed with the materials and fit on my Lamm seat so it's being sent to RDL as the core seat. I've opted for the full RDL seat but at some point I'm considering the sport version. Nothing I've tried or used comes close to a Russell Day Long - and this has also been a universal opinion. But oh man, on a lot of bikes they do not enhance the looks. But after good looking seats have abused your bum you don't care any more. :D
 
I have had similar issues with many on this forum with the seats. So...bought a Sergeant (used), great seat but not what I needed. I prefer the tall, I mean TALL. started reviewing all the uTube videos about redoing your own seat, decided to give it a try. So bought a 70's CB750 seat & pan, cut the old foam & added another pad (Wal-Mart bleacher pad) used the old cover knowing it was an experiment so it was ugly & had lots of extra vinyl folds. Was close but still not right, took the cover off & added another pad player, got a CB750 cover from ebay ($35), took it to a local car guy who does upholstery. Told him I wasn't worried about the look just wanted it to fit since I'm still experimenting. He thought it interesting and cut\fit the cover for $50. I looks good & I will probably ride it as is for another year or more.

As of now, the height is great, next will be to find bit softer pad & when finished look into a custom made cover. So I'm very happy, not paying big money, and have a design of my own making.
 
Back
Top