Curvy Roads GPS

KiowaEagle_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I've been riding with some BMW guys lately and they have a BMW GPS made by Garmin that has a Curvy Roads mode for motorcycles. It seems to work pretty well too. So after a little googling I find that Garmin has a line of GPS' called Zumo for motorcycles that have this feature...great! Except for one thing, they START at $350 and quickly go up from there.

Now I don't consider myself a cheapskate but I'll be darned if I'm going to spend $600 for a GPS so I've been looking for alternatives.

Waze has a Motorcycle mode but in briefly trying it I really haven't seen a difference. I also just discovered that an app I already had but never quite figured out, Scenic has added a curvy roads mode so I plan to try it out.

But I wanted to get input from you folks. Has anybody found anything along these lines? Other than the inevitable "I don't use them fancy geeperessers, I jest use paper maps!" :D
 
Houtman_imp said:
" I don't use them fancy geeperessers, I just use paper maps"
Here you go , you were right !
Maps???
How about a compass?
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
" I don't use them fancy geeperessers, I just use paper maps"
Here you go , you were right !
Maps???
How about a compass?
Maps???
How about a compass?
How 'bout a pigeon?

I got one that won't go away ... so maybe less useful anyway.
 
TomTom Rider is a motorcycle-specific GPS/satnav that's more reasonable than the Garmin Zumo. If you shop carefully you can probably find a Rider 400 for about $300-$350. You'll also need a bike mount. eBay is a good source for TomToms and their accessories.
 
Penny bought a Garmin GPS for the car. It keeps her amused and is handy finding restaurants on long trips. It also stops her from continuously asking me "Where are we?".

Unfortunately without a passenger they are as dangerous as cell phones. Went with friends to Massachusetts last summer. The driver was looking at the GPS for the exit instead of the great big green billboards at the side of the road. The traffic on the exit was backed up and because he was watching the GPS instead of the road he almost plowed into the back of a transport truck at highway speed. Only my shrieking scream saved our lives. The GPS was handy when we stopped to find an alternative route to the highway we missed.

I use paper maps for riding. I make them with Google maps and Paint. I also use the street view to ride any new roads to see if they are motorcycling map worthy.
 
Google Maps (connected) would have known about the upcoming traffic and suggested/routed accordingly around it.

If you are glancing at the screen, it would re-direct. If you have audio prompts and a BT earpiece on, "The Voice" would have guided you.
 
My wife and I went on a vacation recently to several national parks in the western part of the country. I figured we'd do the whole thing off of the phone - Google Maps for navigation, Waze to warn us of speed traps, Yelp for food, and my myriad of hotel apps to find a room.

My wife had unearthed a 2009 road atlas from the folks' garage, and was determined to use it for our trip. After a few days, she got too frustrated trying to figure out what page to go to when we "ran off the map".

I wish I had enough time for recreational riding to wonder about curvy roads. My non-motorcycle friends give me their best-guess motorcycle gifts for Christmas and birthdays, typically Butler maps and such. I love looking at them, and dreaming about rides I'd like to take when I have time.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
My wife and I went on a vacation recently to several national parks in the western part of the country. I figured we'd do the whole thing off of the phone - Google Maps for navigation, Waze to warn us of speed traps, Yelp for food, and my myriad of hotel apps to find a room.

My wife had unearthed a 2009 road atlas from the folks' garage, and was determined to use it for our trip. After a few days, she got too frustrated trying to figure out what page to go to when we "ran off the map".

I wish I had enough time for recreational riding to wonder about curvy roads. My non-motorcycle friends give me their best-guess motorcycle gifts for Christmas and birthdays, typically Butler maps and such. I love looking at them, and dreaming about rides I'd like to take when I have time.
Highway 33 north from Ojai to Lockwood Valley Road, to Cuddy Valley Road to the top of Mt Pinos
 
Last rode that one a year ago, making a side trip on my way home from San Francisco. Even making it to Malibu would be a treat, haven't been there since the fires. I usually play hookey a few times a year for rides like that, but too many commitments lately.
 
Back
Top