CTX1300

The Spaceman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lo its funny over on the adv forum some people were saying they lusted after the CB1300 instead of this dodgy CB 1100 yet 2 of our members here sold CB1300s to get their CB1100s.

Grass is always greener
Was the CB1300 ever sold in the US?
Was the CB1300 ever sold in the US?
I confess - I have lusted over the CB1300 and wish Honda had brought it to the American market. They offered it with a small fairing and hard bags, which would make it much more usable to me. Most of my riding is commuting. I still think the CB1100 is hot, though, and I would love to have one. I currently had a DL650 and I can't say that I am real happy with it. I am thinking about a replacement, which is why I joined this forum. I really like the CB1100, but I think something like an FJR or ST13 would make more sense for me.
 
I have an ST 1300 and IMO it's a horrible commuter unless your commute is all freeway and about 50 miles each way.I hate getting mine out of the garage unless I plan on going over 100 miles one way. It weighs 717 pounds for petes sake. Thats the main reason I bought the CB 1100. If my wife couldn't ride anymore and tour with me, I'd consider a number of other bikes for solo touring/riding. I had a gen 1 Yamaha FZ-1 and it made a great solo tourer. I might even look for another low mileage example of one of those...or the yamaha FZ8 or new FZ9..or maybe a Kawasaki versys, or one of the new Honda CTX's even. Dunno, have to take some test rides.
 
mrbreeze_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Lo its funny over on the adv forum some people were saying they lusted after the CB1300 instead of this dodgy CB 1100 yet 2 of our members here sold CB1300s to get their CB1100s.

Grass is always greener
Was the CB1300 ever sold in the US?
Was the CB1300 ever sold in the US?
I confess - I have lusted over the CB1300 and wish Honda had brought it to the American market. They offered it with a small fairing and hard bags, which would make it much more usable to me. Most of my riding is commuting. I still think the CB1100 is hot, though, and I would love to have one. I currently had a DL650 and I can't say that I am real happy with it. I am thinking about a replacement, which is why I joined this forum. I really like the CB1100, but I think something like an FJR or ST13 would make more sense for me.
Was the CB1300 ever sold in the US?
I confess - I have lusted over the CB1300 and wish Honda had brought it to the American market. They offered it with a small fairing and hard bags, which would make it much more usable to me. Most of my riding is commuting. I still think the CB1100 is hot, though, and I would love to have one. I currently had a DL650 and I can't say that I am real happy with it. I am thinking about a replacement, which is why I joined this forum. I really like the CB1100, but I think something like an FJR or ST13 would make more sense for me. If you use your motorcycle mainly for commuting, then keep the DL650. The CB 1100 is nice, but DL 650 is better for that purpose (not only because of the hard bags but also because of the "weather protection" and other things).
 
Huladog_imp said:
Quote:The more I look at it the better it gets. The new BMW R1200RT is what I'm currently lusting after, however. :-)
Uhhhh, I sold my R1200RT and got the CB1100 ...........

Aloha,
Huladog
Uhhhh, I sold my R1200RT and got the CB1100 ...........

Aloha,
Huladog
If you're not aware, the 2014 RT is completely new with 125hp (it has the GS's updated water/oil cooled engine). It has almost the exact same power-to-weight ratio as the K1600GT/GTL now, with better weather protection. The only thing it doesn't have is the K's fancy tilting/turning headlight, but it has dynamic ESA, which the K doesn't have. Give and take I guess.

I won't be selling my CB1100 to get the R1200RT (assuming I do), though; I'll keep them all.
 
I'll stay out of the great transmission debate and actually discuss the ctx1300 by saying I like it. The ctx is the sort of cruiser that honda should have been making instead of going over the vtx1300/1800 cliff. LED lighting, luggage, tunes, shaft drive, smooth proven v-4 and most importantly not a trace of traditional cruiser styling. I definately want to check one out up close and personal. Honda has really been cranking out the bikes this year. The new Valkyrie looks absolutely decadent.
 
Lunatic Fringe_imp said:
I'll stay out of the great transmission debate and actually discuss the ctx1300 by saying I like it. The ctx is the sort of cruiser that honda should have been making instead of going over the vtx1300/1800 cliff. LED lighting, luggage, tunes, shaft drive, smooth proven v-4 and most importantly not a trace of traditional cruiser styling. I definately want to check one out up close and personal. Honda has really been cranking out the bikes this year. The new Valkyrie looks absolutely decadent.
I take it you mean the F6B.Dammit to hell.I just checked the
Honda site and they did it.son-of-a-cuss.The Rune was supposed to
be the LAST of the Valkyrie.That was a small selling point.
I traded my Honda Valkyrie Tourer model on the new Rune in
2003.It was a 2004 model than came out in summer of 2003.
Now they went and did it.Came back with a New Valkyrie model.
I'm not a spoiler but I hope it doesn't sell.Just because Honda
betrayed all Rune buyers.Honda declared the Rune as the Last of
the Valkyrie line.I'm gonna give Honda of Japan a good piece of my mind,is what.I Have the only Rune in my neck of Kentucky.In fact the
dealer that sold me my CB 1100 { Louisville } never got a Rune.
 
Lunatic Fringe_imp said:
I'll stay out of the great transmission debate and actually discuss the ctx1300 by saying I like it. The ctx is the sort of cruiser that honda should have been making instead of going over the vtx1300/1800 cliff. LED lighting, luggage, tunes, shaft drive, smooth proven v-4 and most importantly not a trace of traditional cruiser styling. I definately want to check one out up close and personal. Honda has really been cranking out the bikes this year. The new Valkyrie looks absolutely decadent.
That Valkyrie looks like it would eat up the road. If it out performs my Raider, I might think about it. Raider curb weight is supposed to be 730 lbs.... the Valkyrie 750.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
ingobohn_imp said:
Maybe it is different in the U.S., but I can hardly imagine that this kind of bike will be sold very well in Germany. German motorcycle riders do not like that kind of design. And it reminds me of the ugly duckling called "DN-01". Unsaleable in Germany...
Unsaleable in the USA, too. That thing was a disaster.

From the huge, strangely shaped fairing of the CTX1300, to its weird exhaust that goes forward then back, I just find it ugly. It looks like a Goldwing birthed a half-made kid. Just my opinion.

Now, that doesn't mean it isn't a fine machine, and it is probably a very nice riding bike. But I have to like the way it looks before I park it in my garage.

Please Honda! Update the ST1300 to compete with the BMW K1600! Please! Please? please. I don't think they're listening.

Honda seems to be falling behind, technologically. Most other manufacturers have electronic throttles (i.e. ride-by-wire), traction control, and now dynamic suspensions on their bikes. Honda doesn't have any of this technology on any of their bikes as of this model year (2013). At least in the U.S. What the crap!?
Unsaleable in the USA, too. That thing was a disaster.

From the huge, strangely shaped fairing of the CTX1300, to its weird exhaust that goes forward then back, I just find it ugly. It looks like a Goldwing birthed a half-made kid. Just my opinion.

Now, that doesn't mean it isn't a fine machine, and it is probably a very nice riding bike. But I have to like the way it looks before I park it in my garage.

Please Honda! Update the ST1300 to compete with the BMW K1600! Please! Please? please. I dlike us think they're listening.

Honda seems to be falling behind, technologically. Most other manufacturers have electronic throttles (i.e. ride-by-wire), traction control, and now dynamic suspensions on their bikes. Honda doesn't have any of this technology on any of their bikes as of this model year (2013). At least in the U.S. What the crap!?
Honda is focused on entry-level bikes aimed at bringing in new riders, and price-point bikes aimed at stretching existing market segments.

On the tech side, you're right for the most part, although they should get credit for DTC. Real men like us want no part of it, but its a real attraction for a lot of riders, especially new ones.

BTW: That wraparound exhaust was originally designed by Willie G. Davis for the '77 FXS Low Rider. I've seen some other bike designs that borrowed it. On the FXS it was necessary to produce equal-length exhaust headers. On this bike it just a styling exercise.
Unsaleable in the USA, too. That thing was a disaster.

From the huge, strangely shaped fairing of the CTX1300, to its weird exhaust that goes forward then back, I just find it ugly. It looks like a Goldwing birthed a half-made kid. Just my opinion.

Now, that doesn't mean it isn't a fine machine, and it is probably a very nice riding bike. But I have to like the way it looks before I park it in my garage.

Please Honda! Update the ST1300 to compete with the BMW K1600! Please! Please? please. I dlike us think they're listening.

Honda seems to be falling behind, technologically. Most other manufacturers have electronic throttles (i.e. ride-by-wire), traction control, and now dynamic suspensions on their bikes. Honda doesn't have any of this technology on any of their bikes as of this model year (2013). At least in the U.S. What the crap!?
Honda is focused on entry-level bikes aimed at bringing in new riders, and price-point bikes aimed at stretching existing market segments.

On the tech side, you're right for the most part, although they should get credit for DTC. Real men like us want no part of it, but its a real attraction for a lot of riders, especially new ones.

BTW: That wraparound exhaust was originally designed by Willie G. Davis for the '77 FXS Low Rider. I've seen some other bike designs that borrowed it. On the FXS it was necessary to produce equal-length exhaust headers. On this bike it just a styling exercise.
Nah those pipes are more than a styling exercise. They are a nicely chromed version of what the plastic covered ST1300 has.
 
Lunatic Fringe_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
ingobohn_imp said:
Maybe it is different in the U.S., but I can hardly imagine that this kind of bike will be sold very well in Germany. German motorcycle riders do not like that kind of design. And it reminds me of the ugly duckling called "DN-01". Unsaleable in Germany...
Unsaleable in the USA, too. That thing was a disaster.

From the huge, strangely shaped fairing of the CTX1300, to its weird exhaust that goes forward then back, I just find it ugly. It looks like a Goldwing birthed a half-made kid. Just my opinion.

Now, that doesn't mean it isn't a fine machine, and it is probably a very nice riding bike. But I have to like the way it looks before I park it in my garage.

Please Honda! Update the ST1300 to compete with the BMW K1600! Please! Please? please. I don't think they're listening.

Honda seems to be falling behind, technologically. Most other manufacturers have electronic throttles (i.e. ride-by-wire), traction control, and now dynamic suspensions on their bikes. Honda doesn't have any of this technology on any of their bikes as of this model year (2013). At least in the U.S. What the crap!?
Unsaleable in the USA, too. That thing was a disaster.

From the huge, strangely shaped fairing of the CTX1300, to its weird exhaust that goes forward then back, I just find it ugly. It looks like a Goldwing birthed a half-made kid. Just my opinion.

Now, that doesn't mean it isn't a fine machine, and it is probably a very nice riding bike. But I have to like the way it looks before I park it in my garage.

Please Honda! Update the ST1300 to compete with the BMW K1600! Please! Please? please. I dlike us think they're listening.

Honda seems to be falling behind, technologically. Most other manufacturers have electronic throttles (i.e. ride-by-wire), traction control, and now dynamic suspensions on their bikes. Honda doesn't have any of this technology on any of their bikes as of this model year (2013). At least in the U.S. What the crap!?
Honda is focused on entry-level bikes aimed at bringing in new riders, and price-point bikes aimed at stretching existing market segments.

On the tech side, you're right for the most part, although they should get credit for DTC. Real men like us want no part of it, but its a real attraction for a lot of riders, especially new ones.

BTW: That wraparound exhaust was originally designed by Willie G. Davis for the '77 FXS Low Rider. I've seen some other bike designs that borrowed it. On the FXS it was necessary to produce equal-length exhaust headers. On this bike it just a styling exercise.
Unsaleable in the USA, too. That thing was a disaster.

From the huge, strangely shaped fairing of the CTX1300, to its weird exhaust that goes forward then back, I just find it ugly. It looks like a Goldwing birthed a half-made kid. Just my opinion.

Now, that doesn't mean it isn't a fine machine, and it is probably a very nice riding bike. But I have to like the way it looks before I park it in my garage.

Please Honda! Update the ST1300 to compete with the BMW K1600! Please! Please? please. I dlike us think they're listening.

Honda seems to be falling behind, technologically. Most other manufacturers have electronic throttles (i.e. ride-by-wire), traction control, and now dynamic suspensions on their bikes. Honda doesn't have any of this technology on any of their bikes as of this model year (2013). At least in the U.S. What the crap!?
Honda is focused on entry-level bikes aimed at bringing in new riders, and price-point bikes aimed at stretching existing market segments.

On the tech side, you're right for the most part, although they should get credit for DTC. Real men like us want no part of it, but its a real attraction for a lot of riders, especially new ones.

BTW: That wraparound exhaust was originally designed by Willie G. Davis for the '77 FXS Low Rider. I've seen some other bike designs that borrowed it. On the FXS it was necessary to produce equal-length exhaust headers. On this bike it just a styling exercise.
Nah those pipes are more than a styling exercise. They are a nicely chromed version of what the plastic covered ST1300 has.
Unsaleable in the USA, too. That thing was a disaster.

From the huge, strangely shaped fairing of the CTX1300, to its weird exhaust that goes forward then back, I just find it ugly. It looks like a Goldwing birthed a half-made kid. Just my opinion.

Now, that doesn't mean it isn't a fine machine, and it is probably a very nice riding bike. But I have to like the way it looks before I park it in my garage.

Please Honda! Update the ST1300 to compete with the BMW K1600! Please! Please? please. I dlike us think they're listening.

Honda seems to be falling behind, technologically. Most other manufacturers have electronic throttles (i.e. ride-by-wire), traction control, and now dynamic suspensions on their bikes. Honda doesn't have any of this technology on any of their bikes as of this model year (2013). At least in the U.S. What the crap!?
Honda is focused on entry-level bikes aimed at bringing in new riders, and price-point bikes aimed at stretching existing market segments.

On the tech side, you're right for the most part, although they should get credit for DTC. Real men like us want no part of it, but its a real attraction for a lot of riders, especially new ones.

BTW: That wraparound exhaust was originally designed by Willie G. Davis for the '77 FXS Low Rider. I've seen some other bike designs that borrowed it. On the FXS it was necessary to produce equal-length exhaust headers. On this bike it just a styling exercise.
Nah those pipes are more than a styling exercise. They are a nicely chromed version of what the plastic covered ST1300 has.
I was seriously considering the ST 1300 about 7 years ago.
To replace my VTX 1800.But the bike didn't fit me.I felt
cramped.The CB 1100 doesn't fit me either.Plus the pegs bug
the hell out of me.They sit to much under the rider,meaning
they are hard on the knees.But I love the bike so much,I'll
force myself to adapt.No 2 bikes are exactly the same anywho.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Lunatic Fringe_imp said:
I'll stay out of the great transmission debate and actually discuss the ctx1300 by saying I like it. The ctx is the sort of cruiser that honda should have been making instead of going over the vtx1300/1800 cliff. LED lighting, luggage, tunes, shaft drive, smooth proven v-4 and most importantly not a trace of traditional cruiser styling. I definately want to check one out up close and personal. Honda has really been cranking out the bikes this year. The new Valkyrie looks absolutely decadent.
That Valkyrie looks like it would eat up the road. If it out performs my Raider, I might think about it. Raider curb weight is supposed to be 730 lbs.... the Valkyrie 750.
That Valkyrie looks like it would eat up the road. If it out performs my Raider, I might think about it. Raider curb weight is supposed to be 730 lbs.... the Valkyrie 750.

There is a great promotional film that shows the new Valkyrie doing one loooong burnout then rocketing down the closed course. :angel: I had a vtx 1300 for 3 years but in the end I just couldn't get into the whole cruising thing. The Valkyrie looks like a great bike with some serious attitude. For me I'd take this Valk or the ctx1300 over any v-twin.
 
I must admit that I am not so into such kinda bikes like the Valkyrie, but I am a bit puzzled now. What is the difference between the F6B and the F6C? Only the style? B = bagger, C = cruiser? The rest (engine, bodywork, ...) is the same?
 
If you google Honda F6c you will see pictures of the old version Valkrie which had the 1500 flat 6 motor
 
Thread starter
I think it makes a lot of sense for Honda to release a new Valkyrie it's just a small change from the 6Fb. At least Honda is doing something with their bikes for 2014. It's not going to affect the collectibility of the Rune one bit. Looks nothing like it only similarity is the engine. Ill be looking forward to seeing these new machines in the showrooms come March.

Winter hasn't started and I've had enough already.
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
I think it makes a lot of sense for Honda to release a new Valkyrie it's just a small change from the 6Fb. At least Honda is doing something with their bikes for 2014. It's not going to affect the collectibility of the Rune one bit. Looks nothing like it only similarity is the engine. Ill be looking forward to seeing these new machines in the showrooms come March.

Winter hasn't started and I've had enough already.
Yer totally off base.First off what they are calling a Valkyrie is
complete marketing.Meaning a gimmick.What they are calling
a new Valkyrie is basically the exact same model as the F6B.
Plus Honda did go public and state that with Their first and
only CUSTOM model the Rune,it would mark the end of the
Valkyrie.
I think that since the F6B was failing big time and they needed
to use whatever production machinery they had in place to
keep production from coming to a standstill,they just added some
plastic crap to make the otherwise Goldwing bagger appear like
an all new bike.However I could be wrong.
My Rune does share the same Goldwing engine { with hotter cam }
But I'm not sure about the frames except they are both aluminum.
Outside of the engine,the Rune is practically a completely different bike.
The engine doesn't even share the same number of injectors.
 
_imp said:
Lunatic Fringe_imp said:
I'll stay out of the great transmission debate and actually discuss the ctx1300 by saying I like it. The ctx is the sort of cruiser that honda should have been making instead of going over the vtx1300/1800 cliff. LED lighting, luggage, tunes, shaft drive, smooth proven v-4 and most importantly not a trace of traditional cruiser styling. I definately want to check one out up close and personal. Honda has really been cranking out the bikes this year. The new Valkyrie looks absolutely decadent.
I take it you mean the F6B.Dammit to hell.I just checked the
Honda site and they did it.son-of-a-cuss.The Rune was supposed to
be the LAST of the Valkyrie.That was a small selling point.
I traded my Honda Valkyrie Tourer model on the new Rune in
2003.It was a 2004 model than came out in summer of 2003.
Now they went and did it.Came back with a New Valkyrie model.
I'm not a spoiler but I hope it doesn't sell.Just because Honda
betrayed all Rune buyers.Honda declared the Rune as the Last of
the Valkyrie line.I'm gonna give Honda of Japan a good piece of my mind,is what.I Have the only Rune in my neck of Kentucky.In fact the
dealer that sold me my CB 1100 { Louisville } never got a Rune.
Would you say that Honda Runed your plans?
 
Thread starter
Please explain to me how my opinion is "totally off base" when it's supported by the fact that Honda is producing the bike? Just because you don't happen to agree with me is no reason to disrespect my position.

I understand your being sore at Honda but I've got no dog in the fight other then I like the fact that they are offering a choice.

I agree that there isn't a lot of difference between the Wing derivatives but better then NONE. It makes complete sense for Honda to "use" what they have to better their market share. Tell me a motorcycle manufacturer who doesn't do exactly what Honda is doing.

If you want a totally custom bike you have to buy one. Even the Rune is not a custom bike all be it it's as close as any one that I can think of.

Honda saying they would not make another Valkyrie and then doing so is between you and Honda but frankly do you think they care? And does it matter? I don't think so but that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it regardless :clap:
 
Did Honda really say they'd NEVER produce another Valkyrie? I googled it but couldn't find anything. However, there were some interesting posts; apparently a lot of people have been expecting this for some time. Here's one from 2009 about making a new Valk based on the GW:

Forget about new design.... New Valkyrie

If you look at it long enough, you can see some Rune design elements in the new Valkyrie. Obviously nothing as radical as the Rune was, but the same long, low look with the big-ass motor and deep seat etc. I guess it would have to look a little like it since they're based on the same, quite unique engine and drive train.
 
I don't understand the idea that the Valkyrie is not far off from the f6b. The valk is something totally different as it's lighter, the brakes aren't linked, obviously no bags/fairing, pegs are higher and the front wheel is larger. I think the current 1800 is a worthy engine to be put into a power cruiser style bike. There is no need for honda to recreate the old chrome encrusted 1500 valkyrie style. It's a new day and I like the new valk.
 
_imp said:
bubblerboy64_imp said:
I think it makes a lot of sense for Honda to release a new Valkyrie it's just a small change from the 6Fb. At least Honda is doing something with their bikes for 2014. It's not going to affect the collectibility of the Rune one bit. Looks nothing like it only similarity is the engine. Ill be looking forward to seeing these new machines in the showrooms come March.

Winter hasn't started and I've had enough already.
Yer totally off base.First off what they are calling a Valkyrie is
complete marketing.Meaning a gimmick.What they are calling
a new Valkyrie is basically the exact same model as the F6B.
Plus Honda did go public and state that with Their first and
only CUSTOM model the Rune,it would mark the end of the
Valkyrie.
I think that since the F6B was failing big time and they needed
to use whatever production machinery they had in place to
keep production from coming to a standstill,they just added some
plastic crap to make the otherwise Goldwing bagger appear like
an all new bike.However I could be wrong.
My Rune does share the same Goldwing engine { with hotter cam }
But I'm not sure about the frames except they are both aluminum.
Outside of the engine,the Rune is practically a completely different bike.
The engine doesn't even share the same number of injectors.
Of course it's "marketing." Honda is in the business to make money by selling products. Honda's marketing people are part of the process that makes that happen. So Honda tweaked the Goldwing into the F6B, and then tweaked it a little more for the Valkyrie. I'm guessing their marketing people have done research, which suggests the new Valkyrie will sell. Sometimes that research is right (Grom) and sometimes it's wrong (VFR1200F).

It's their company, and it's their money. So they can do what they want with it. If we (the customers) don't like what Honda offers us, then they'll soon know about it as those bikes gather dust on showroom floors.

We don't get to dictate what Honda builds, or what Honda names their products. But, we do get to vote with our money. I'm guessing you'll be one "No" vote for the new Valkyrie (it's not for me either).
 
Thread starter
Some of this can't be debated much until the bikes hit the dealerships in March or April. I am just glad that Honda is introducing some new stuff for us to "evaluate". I may or may not be buying. More likely not but I am glad to see something that at least makes the blood run warmer.
 
Back
Top