CTX1300

The ferret_imp said:
I have no issues switching back and forth between my regular motorcycles and my Yamaha 400 scooter which is automatic. Both are fun. I think a big liter bike automatic would be a blast to ride.

I find the motorcyclists who argue most fiercely against autos are those who have never ridden one.

Do yourself a favor and test rode a Yamaha Tmax or Suzuki Bergman 650 and then come back and tell me how boring autos are.
Actually I did. Suzuki was demoing 650 Burgmans at the AIM Expo. The first thing that happened was a near crash because I was grabbing for a clutch that wasn't there. Ok, got past that and figured out how to stop the thing. From then on it was like riding a two-wheeled golf cart. Fun in a "I'm not in a car" sorta way, but unless I'm buzzing from bar to bar on Bimini, I'm sticking with regular bikes. With a manly manual gearbox.

(Insert :D here so people realize the"manly" comment is intended to be humorous)
 
Lol about the smiley

They must have lead you on a group ride around the parking lot or something. I demoed a whole bunch of Yamahas last summer when the Yamaha demo truck was at our local dealer... Tenere, FZ8, Raider, R-1 can't remember what else, about 8 bikes I think. They led us on a pre determined path, never over 35 mph, 9 miles. From those test rides I'd claim all of them sucked. Couldn't judge how they accelerated, how they handled, how they braked, what they sounded like even. It was putt putt putt..aren't these bikes great?

Believe me, I know guys that can rail in the mountains on a scooter, cutting under many sport bikes with clutches and manual transmissions in tight curves, and accelerating like a Banshee out and down the next straight away. I find myself riding my Majesty about 5 mph on average faster than I do my CB.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have no issues switching back and forth between my regular motorcycles and my Yamaha 400 scooter which is automatic. Both are fun. I think a big liter bike automatic would be a blast to ride.

I find the motorcyclists who argue most fiercely against autos are those who have never ridden one.

Do yourself a favor and test rode a Yamaha Tmax or Suzuki Bergman 650 and then come back and tell me how boring autos are.
I rode auto scooters for years during my university time. I used my scooters to commute to the lectures.
It is fun and straightforward to ride them inner city, but outside not so much. I grew up in Freiburg, which is at the foot of the Black Forest, and believe me: Riding the slopes there is much funnier with a non-auto 2 wheeler. :D

And I rode for 1 year exactly such kind of auto scooter, too:
The ferret_imp said:
I've never attached manliness to driving a stick, my sister and my wife can drive a stick car or motorcycle as well as most men I know. In Europe it seemed 95% of the cars I saw were sticks and 95% of the two wheeler I saw were automatics (scooters). Just the opposite here.

With regards to riding 3 wheeler, I have admittedly not ridden a modern one. Certainly nothing like the Can Ams. I have ridden Harley Servi cars, 2 wheelers with hacks, and Honda 3 wheeled ATVs. Of those experiences there is nothing that would tell me that I would enjoy riding a 3 wheeler on the street. But I look forward to test riding one of the new ones someday so that I can make an informed decision.

Part of the thrill of riding a 2 wheeler is the lean thru the corners. No 3 wheeled vehicle I have ever ridden leaned. Piaggio was making a 500 cc scooter with a parallelogram front end that leaned, so it is possible, but I have not had the opportunity to ride one of those either. The technology is certainly not beyond Hondas or Yamahas abilities, so we will see what the future brings.

At this point Im hoping to pilot a 2 wheeler at least 6 1/2 more years (70 is my goal).. And hopefully beyond that if my health both physical and mental permits.

If not, some kind of open aired conveyance is in my future, whether it has 3 wheels or 4.
It was called Piaggio MP3 LT 500.

The ferret_imp said:
I've never attached manliness to driving a stick, my sister and my wife can drive a stick car or motorcycle as well as most men I know. In Europe it seemed 95% of the cars I saw were sticks and 95% of the two wheeler I saw were automatics (scooters). Just the opposite here.

With regards to riding 3 wheeler, I have admittedly not ridden a modern one. Certainly nothing like the Can Ams. I have ridden Harley Servi cars, 2 wheelers with hacks, and Honda 3 wheeled ATVs. Of those experiences there is nothing that would tell me that I would enjoy riding a 3 wheeler on the street. But I look forward to test riding one of the new ones someday so that I can make an informed decision.

Part of the thrill of riding a 2 wheeler is the lean thru the corners. No 3 wheeled vehicle I have ever ridden leaned. Piaggio was making a 500 cc scooter with a parallelogram front end that leaned, so it is possible, but I have not had the opportunity to ride one of those either. The technology is certainly not beyond Hondas or Yamahas abilities, so we will see what the future brings.

At this point Im hoping to pilot a 2 wheeler at least 6 1/2 more years (70 is my goal).. And hopefully beyond that if my health both physical and mental permits.

If not, some kind of open aired conveyance is in my future, whether it has 3 wheels or 4.
For scooters it's true, for motocycles not.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol about the smiley

They must have lead you on a group ride around the parking lot or something. I demoed a whole bunch of Yamahas last summer when the Yamaha demo truck was at our local dealer... Tenere, FZ8, Raider, R-1 can't remember what else, about 8 bikes I think. They led us on a pre determined path, never over 35 mph, 9 miles. From those test rides I'd claim all of them sucked. Couldn't judge how they accelerated, how they handled, how they braked, what they sounded like even. It was putt putt putt..aren't these bikes great?

Believe me, I know guys that can rail in the mountains on a scooter, cutting under many sport bikes with clutches and manual transmissions in tight curves, and accelerating like a Banshee out and down the next straight away. I find myself riding my Majesty about 5 mph on average faster than I do my CB.
The demo ride was better than that, just before the Berg I rode a Buda and the leader made sure I got to whack it a few times. On the Berg i was able to keep up, but not much more. We did about 8 miles of mixed roads. The Berg was fafaster than a couple regular bikes.

I know you can ride the piss out of these bikes, and I'll bet there's guys leaving squids in the dust on them. I guess what I'm thinking is that with so little time to ride, I want to get the most out of the time I DO have. And for me, (emphasis on the ME), that means a full-on motorcycle with all that one comes with.
 
Now there is a difference between scooter automatic and an actual motorcycle automatic. Demo the, I believe, it is the ctx700 sometime. That motorcycle has an automatic transmission that is just like a cars automatic and you feel the shifting just like in a car or you can take it to paddle shifting if you want. It isn't a bad ride! I got a nice 25 mile demo in one day on one of them. If I had the money I would pit one in the stable also, especially the model with the bags.

Now the wife's scooter, pcx150, does seem to have the take of speed but that could be because I am not trying to race the 1100.

I can say this that either CV auto or true automatic transmission bikes do have their niche and can be equally as fun to ride.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.2.4
 
The ferret_imp said:
I've never attached manliness to driving a stick, my sister and my wife can drive a stick car or motorcycle as well as most men I know. In Europe it seemed 95% of the cars I saw were sticks and 95% of the two wheeler I saw were automatics (scooters). Just the opposite here.

With regards to riding 3 wheeler, I have admittedly not ridden a modern one. Certainly nothing like the Can Ams. I have ridden Harley Servi cars, 2 wheelers with hacks, and Honda 3 wheeled ATVs. Of those experiences there is nothing that would tell me that I would enjoy riding a 3 wheeler on the street. But I look forward to test riding one of the new ones someday so that I can make an informed decision.

Part of the thrill of riding a 2 wheeler is the lean thru the corners. No 3 wheeled vehicle I have ever ridden leaned. Piaggio was making a 500 cc scooter with a parallelogram front end that leaned, so it is possible, but I have not had the opportunity to ride one of those either. The technology is certainly not beyond Hondas or Yamahas abilities, so we will see what the future brings.

At this point Im hoping to pilot a 2 wheeler at least 6 1/2 more years (70 is my goal).. And hopefully beyond that if my health both physical and mental permits.

If not, some kind of open aired conveyance is in my future, whether it has 3 wheels or 4.

I too have been thinking about what I will be riding in the next five years or sooner due to health concerns. I have owned an Aprillia Mana so an automatic is not a problem for me. I think when the time comes I will get a Burgman and have it triked. I think that will be a good way to continue riding.
 
How was the Mana? We looked at one, but being a stubby person, it was too tall for me, plus the nearest dealer was 200 miles away.
 
I enjoyed the bike but service and parts was hit and miss. It handled great,brakes were good, ergos were spot on for me.
 
cbdtran_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
Automatics on bikes are not the same as automatics on cars. On bikes, they take away the ability to perform certain maneuvers safely, such as slow speed turns, u-turns, etc., especially on higher horsepower bikes. Slipping the clutch is an important part of riding a motorcycle well.
Ah - Automatic adds weight is the only drawback, the VFR1200 DCT you can shift up and down like F1 racing car or fully automatic. It however doesn't catch up yet, not a good seller so Honda gingerly test out the water. Manual is fine until one ride an automatic. I bet in a decade or so 50% of bikes are automatic.
Ah - Automatic adds weight is the only drawback, the VFR1200 DCT you can shift up and down like F1 racing car or fully automatic. It however doesn't catch up yet, not a good seller so Honda gingerly test out the water. Manual is fine until one ride an automatic. I bet in a decade or so 50% of bikes are automatic.
Sooo... you totally discount the drawbacks I mentioned? Riding a high horsepower bike with an automatic (such as the VFR) in the rain without traction control would not be something I would want to do. I read about a guy who had a low-side with his FJR because of that very thing (wet street, making a turn from a light, spun up the rear wheel, down he went). Throttle fidelity at low engine RPM's isn't that great on most bikes.

For parking lot maneuvers, nothing beats being able to slip the clutch. Even traction control is not your friend in that situation, because loss of power could drop you into a tight turn, even if the rear wheel doesn't spin, especially on a heavier bike.
 
AzBob_imp said:
cbdtran_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
Automatics on bikes are not the same as automatics on cars. On bikes, they take away the ability to perform certain maneuvers safely, such as slow speed turns, u-turns, etc., especially on higher horsepower bikes. Slipping the clutch is an important part of riding a motorcycle well.
Ah - Automatic adds weight is the only drawback, the VFR1200 DCT you can shift up and down like F1 racing car or fully automatic. It however doesn't catch up yet, not a good seller so Honda gingerly test out the water. Manual is fine until one ride an automatic. I bet in a decade or so 50% of bikes are automatic.
Ah - Automatic adds weight is the only drawback, the VFR1200 DCT you can shift up and down like F1 racing car or fully automatic. It however doesn't catch up yet, not a good seller so Honda gingerly test out the water. Manual is fine until one ride an automatic. I bet in a decade or so 50% of bikes are automatic.
Sooo... you totally discount the drawbacks I mentioned? Riding a high horsepower bike with an automatic (such as the VFR) in the rain without traction control would not be something I would want to do. I read about a guy who had a low-side with his FJR because of that very thing (wet street, making a turn from a light, spun up the rear wheel, down he went). Throttle fidelity at low engine RPM's isn't that great on most bikes.

For parking lot maneuvers, nothing beats being able to slip the clutch. Even traction control is not your friend in that situation, because loss of power could drop you into a tight turn, even if the rear wheel doesn't spin, especially on a heavier bike.
Ah - Automatic adds weight is the only drawback, the VFR1200 DCT you can shift up and down like F1 racing car or fully automatic. It however doesn't catch up yet, not a good seller so Honda gingerly test out the water. Manual is fine until one ride an automatic. I bet in a decade or so 50% of bikes are automatic.
Sooo... you totally discount the drawbacks I mentioned? Riding a high horsepower bike with an automatic (such as the VFR) in the rain without traction control would not be something I would want to do. I read about a guy who had a low-side with his FJR because of that very thing (wet street, making a turn from a light, spun up the rear wheel, down he went). Throttle fidelity at low engine RPM's isn't that great on most bikes.

For parking lot maneuvers, nothing beats being able to slip the clutch. Even traction control is not your friend in that situation, because loss of power could drop you into a tight turn, even if the rear wheel doesn't spin, especially on a heavier bike.
VFR1200 owners don't complain about things you said. They are owners. Automatic has many things to desire: on green light, many cars / SUVs pulled away from me naturally. My bike HP/weight ration is 80/700 (including me) typical SUVs: 220/4000, then how come most pull away from me from red light? it is due to automatic transmission. I learn to shift from 1 to 2, if too much gas, it lurches during transition.
 
Well there have been several automatic motorcycles starting in 1976 with the Honda CB 750 A, in the eighties with the CB 400/CM 450 A's, the Rokon dirt bike, with the Aprilia Mana, the Ridley, the FJR, and the VFR, the CTX 700, the DN-01,

One reported instance does not mean they are un-safe.

Many riders of manual transmission bikes have spun out in the rain and low sided while making a turn. Doesn't mean manual transmissions or clutches are dangerous either.
 
Ah - Automatic adds weight is the only drawback, the VFR1200 DCT you can shift up and down like F1 racing car or fully automatic. It however doesn't catch up yet, not a good seller so Honda gingerly test out the water. Manual is fine until one ride an automatic. I bet in a decade or so 50% of bikes are automatic.
Sooo... you totally discount the drawbacks I mentioned? Riding a high horsepower bike with an automatic (such as the VFR) in the rain without traction control would not be something I would want to do. I read about a guy who had a low-side with his FJR because of that very thing (wet street, making a turn from a light, spun up the rear wheel, down he went). Throttle fidelity at low engine RPM's isn't that great on most bikes.

For parking lot maneuvers, nothing beats being able to slip the clutch. Even traction control is not your friend in that situation, because loss of power could drop you into a tight turn, even if the rear wheel doesn't spin, especially on a heavier bike. I am having a great deal of trouble understanding this line of thinking. Have any of y'all ridden the automatic motorcycles? How about the automatic dirtbikes, scooters, and everything else out there? I've ridden lots of those and the automatic transmission utterly obviates the need for any kind of slipping of a clutch. The autos are much easier to ride under such conditions.
all new things have resistance until its advantages sink in and momentum gathers speed
 
As I mentioned, it's simply off-idle/low RPM fueling combined with a high-power motor that can put you on the ground. Slipping the clutch gives _ME_ control over how much power is getting to the rear wheel. The automatic transmission decides that for me. At low speed, it could be entirely too much power for conditions. As I previously stated, I know of at least one person who had a low-speed low-side because of this.

In an automobile, if you have too much power, the wheels spin, who cares (assuming no traction control). On a bike, that's a disaster.

This is not an argument from some Luddite about how new technology is bad simply because it is new. I am talking about a specific instance in which this technology is not better than the existing technology, and, IMO, worse.
cbdtran_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
cbdtran_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
Automatics on bikes are not the same as automatics on cars. On bikes, they take away the ability to perform certain maneuvers safely, such as slow speed turns, u-turns, etc., especially on higher horsepower bikes. Slipping the clutch is an important part of riding a motorcycle well.
Ah - Automatic adds weight is the only drawback, the VFR1200 DCT you can shift up and down like F1 racing car or fully automatic. It however doesn't catch up yet, not a good seller so Honda gingerly test out the water. Manual is fine until one ride an automatic. I bet in a decade or so 50% of bikes are automatic.
Ah - Automatic adds weight is the only drawback, the VFR1200 DCT you can shift up and down like F1 racing car or fully automatic. It however doesn't catch up yet, not a good seller so Honda gingerly test out the water. Manual is fine until one ride an automatic. I bet in a decade or so 50% of bikes are automatic.
Sooo... you totally discount the drawbacks I mentioned? Riding a high horsepower bike with an automatic (such as the VFR) in the rain without traction control would not be something I would want to do. I read about a guy who had a low-side with his FJR because of that very thing (wet street, making a turn from a light, spun up the rear wheel, down he went). Throttle fidelity at low engine RPM's isn't that great on most bikes.

For parking lot maneuvers, nothing beats being able to slip the clutch. Even traction control is not your friend in that situation, because loss of power could drop you into a tight turn, even if the rear wheel doesn't spin, especially on a heavier bike.
Ah - Automatic adds weight is the only drawback, the VFR1200 DCT you can shift up and down like F1 racing car or fully automatic. It however doesn't catch up yet, not a good seller so Honda gingerly test out the water. Manual is fine until one ride an automatic. I bet in a decade or so 50% of bikes are automatic.
Sooo... you totally discount the drawbacks I mentioned? Riding a high horsepower bike with an automatic (such as the VFR) in the rain without traction control would not be something I would want to do. I read about a guy who had a low-side with his FJR because of that very thing (wet street, making a turn from a light, spun up the rear wheel, down he went). Throttle fidelity at low engine RPM's isn't that great on most bikes.

For parking lot maneuvers, nothing beats being able to slip the clutch. Even traction control is not your friend in that situation, because loss of power could drop you into a tight turn, even if the rear wheel doesn't spin, especially on a heavier bike.
VFR1200 owners don't complain about things you said. They are owners. Automatic has many things to desire: on green light, many cars / SUVs pulled away from me naturally. My bike HP/weight ration is 80/700 (including me) typical SUVs: 220/4000, then how come most pull away from me from red light? it is due to automatic transmission. I learn to shift from 1 to 2, if too much gas, it lurches during transition.
Not to be mean or anything, but this is simply lack of skill on your part. Learn to launch your bike from a standing start if you desire this ability. It's not that hard and doesn't require a completely different transmission.
 
The ctx700 fully automatic with an automatic like that of a car, first gear low rpms and it is not the experience that one thinks it is. Actually it has the same if not better control than feathering a clutch. What if you're feathering a clutch skips then BAM to much power to the whelks now with this bike that won't happen unless you crank the throttle open wide and can get the rpms to redline immediately....

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.2.4
 
Thread starter
Well? They are applying traction control to motorcycles. I believe this CTX1300 which was the topic of discussion is offered in the deluxe with ABS and Traction Control. Remember there is no auto shift option offered as of this time.

I don't personally know if the concern of wheel slip with an automatic is inherently more of a concern over a manual or not. I understand the point being made and will keep an open mind about it. There is slippage involved with an automatic type transmission on take off is there not? My thoughts are that if you nailed the throttle on take off with either an auto or a manual you could cause yourself some trouble regardless. Is the auto more likely to do so? Good point and the devil would be in the details.

Most of us resist change and especially change which we diem unnecessary. This is how progress flows fellows. I believe the sport bike riders will buy into it as soon as it's perfected. I hear them running past the office at 8000 rpms shifting through the gears without dropping out of the rev's. When all it takes is to pull a trigger with the left index finger and hit those gears even quicker it will take over the game. Cruiser riders and standard bikers don't need it and probably don't want to spend the additional bucks but having owned a DN-01 and a number of scooters it's pretty darned nice at times. I found no negatives other then the "fun" of shifting gears on a bike. Frankly I wouldn't spend the extra money most of the time but in some applications I surely would.

I believe the Goldwing makes for a perfect platform for an auto shift. That CTX700 if used for commuting in traffic would be another.

They have their place and that place will expand as improvements are made. Even some of the big old Harley bikes would be pretty sweet candidates for an auto. Lets face it doing it the easy way sometime is nice. Lets understand I am assuming no reductions or penalties in performance which I believe is doable soon if it isn't already.

When I test drove the CTX700 at Twiggs cycle the salesman said that the owner put a plate on one and rode the bike. He said the owner almost never rides a new bike. He's "into" his wing and the rest of it is just rolling stock to sell. Later when I got back from the ride the owner ask me what I thought about the CTX700. I said I liked it and was impressed with just how easily it rode. How well balanced it was and how practical I thought the bike was for myself and any rider interested in a middle weight bike. He agreed with me in all of this and said he was very pleasantly surprised at just how nice a motorcycle the CTX700 was.

It remains to be seen how this CTX1300 will stack up but as stated I am interested in it. It probably will be more bike then I need or want and more money as well but "ugly" or not I'm going to check it over in detail when it's in the show room.
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
Well? They are applying traction control to motorcycles. I believe this CTX1300 which was the topic of discussion is offered in the deluxe with ABS and Traction Control. Remember there is no auto shift option offered as of this time.

I don't personally know if the concern of wheel slip with an automatic is inherently more of a concern over a manual or not. I understand the point being made and will keep an open mind about it. There is slippage involved with an automatic type transmission on take off is there not? My thoughts are that if you nailed the throttle on take off with either an auto or a manual you could cause yourself some trouble regardless. Is the auto more likely to do so? Good point and the devil would be in the details.

Most of us resist change and especially change which we diem unnecessary. This is how progress flows fellows. I believe the sport bike riders will buy into it as soon as it's perfected. I hear them running past the office at 8000 rpms shifting through the gears without dropping out of the rev's. When all it takes is to pull a trigger with the left index finger and hit those gears even quicker it will take over the game. Cruiser riders and standard bikers don't need it and probably don't want to spend the additional bucks but having owned a DN-01 and a number of scooters it's pretty darned nice at times. I found no negatives other then the "fun" of shifting gears on a bike. Frankly I wouldn't spend the extra money most of the time but in some applications I surely would.

I believe the Goldwing makes for a perfect platform for an auto shift. That CTX700 if used for commuting in traffic would be another.

They have their place and that place will expand as improvements are made. Even some of the big old Harley bikes would be pretty sweet candidates for an auto. Lets face it doing it the easy way sometime is nice. Lets understand I am assuming no reductions or penalties in performance which I believe is doable soon if it isn't already.

When I test drove the CTX700 at Twiggs cycle the salesman said that the owner put a plate on one and rode the bike. He said the owner almost never rides a new bike. He's "into" his wing and the rest of it is just rolling stock to sell. Later when I got back from the ride the owner ask me what I thought about the CTX700. I said I liked it and was impressed with just how easily it rode. How well balanced it was and how practical I thought the bike was for myself and any rider interested in a middle weight bike. He agreed with me in all of this and said he was very pleasantly surprised at just how nice a motorcycle the CTX700 was.

It remains to be seen how this CTX1300 will stack up but as stated I am interested in it. It probably will be more bike then I need or want and more money as well but "ugly" or not I'm going to check it over in detail when it's in the show room.
The more I look at it the better it gets. The new BMW R1200RT is what I'm currently lusting after, however. :-)
 
Quote:The more I look at it the better it gets. The new BMW R1200RT is what I'm currently lusting after, however. :-)
Uhhhh, I sold my R1200RT and got the CB1100 ...........

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Lo its funny over on the adv forum some people were saying they lusted after the CB1300 instead of this dodgy CB 1100 yet 2 of our members here sold CB1300s to get their CB1100s.

Grass is always greener
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lo its funny over on the adv forum some people were saying they lusted after the CB1300 instead of this dodgy CB 1100 yet 2 of our members here sold CB1300s to get their CB1100s.

Grass is always greener
Was the CB1300 ever sold in the US?
 
No only in Europe... People often want what they can not get lol
 
Back
Top