CTX1300

Chapomis_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
For a while now I have been thinking about selling my 94 FLSTN and going to something both quieter and newer. The CTX1300 has caught my eye and the dealers are offering heavy discounts(4K to 5K), sorta like the CB1100 :) What can anyone tell me about them ? No, my DLX will not be for sale. I also like the ST1300, but hard to find with low milage.
 
The CTX 1300 is a detuned ST1300 88 hp vs 125 made into a bagger. mUch of the plastic is removed to show the engine, and the windshield is fixed and short. I think Huladog just sold one to buy another CB 1100.

And actually like most bikes these days, ST 1300s can be had with low mileage and cheap. Go cruise the classifieds on ST-owners.com. Just saw a 07 with 26 k and farkles for $5500. As tall as you are I would think an ST1300 would be a better fit and the adjustable windshield is the cats meow.
 
I'll defer to Ferret to explain "de-tuned". Honda built the CTX 13 as a Japanese rendition of a modern cruiser. With similar performance characteristics. It is fun to ride, FSVofF, but not nearly as much fun as our bikes, as lacks many of the amenities of the ST1300. One noticeable factory farkle is bluetooth cockpit speakers, but that is of no consequence to me.

My ST13 is an '04 with 32K miles. It has a larger-than-stock (taller and wider) windscreen, Givi box, STainetunes, Honda heated grips, adjustable shorty levers, almost-new heated Russell seat, new Racetech springs and fork seals, $600 Clearwater LEDs, and just one small scratch. PLUS, it has ABS brakes! Not having ABS brakes on my '13 CB isn't a concern to me at all, but I wouldn't have bought a 750-lb ST without them. I'm 6'3" tall. Like Ferret said, the electric windshield on the ST is pure gold! Dialing in the exact height you desire is one of motorcyling's true joys. It makes highway/interstate riding far less tedious and tiring.

I mentioned all my farkles just to note that I doubt my ST is worth any more than $6,500 tops to a buyer. And that is "with" ABS, which isn't as common as you might think. I don't see an ABS ring on the front wheel of the bike you are going to look at. In ST circles, that is about a $1,000 deduction.

IMHO, that is a $5,500 bike. In the Spring. Certainly not in January. $5,000 tops this time of year. And there is still that thing about no ABS.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Oly. They seem to be priced less in your area and in the deep south, but the avg asking price up and over here is @ 7-8K. There are a few 12s, but I can't afford new and don't want black.

Do you have a pic with the Anti lock ring ?
 
I'm 60 miles from bikes today, so no pictures. Sorry'. Someone else will most certainly chime in, however. The ABS ring on a front rotor is about 7 inches in diameter, but only 1/2 - 3/4s of an inch wide. Along its course, it has dozens of "slots" that are spaced equi-distant from one -another. So...slot, solid, slot, solid, slot, solid all around the ring. That's probably a befuddling description of a visual.

I'm sure there will be a picture soon, however.[/u]
 
It was a heavy brute, but I really enjoyed the ST I rode at the rally in May. With the windscreen and the fairing it was a great touring bike with oddles of power. Like the CB, once it was moving it was a dream to ride. I liked the adjustable windscreen, although I could never get it low enough to stop very noisy turbulence around my helmet. Curiously, my CB with no screen is heaps quieter for that reason. Chapomis, you're tall and may well rise above that problem.
 
I used to have a 2014 CTX1300 Deluxe in between my 2013 CB1100 and my latest 2014 CB1100.

Yes, it's Honda's take on a "bagger" and you can find them at bargain prices now. I got mine as a leftover when Honda discounted them, but decided for my riding the bigger bike wasn't needed and got a leftover 2014 CB1100 to replace it.

The CTX1300 does have the same engine as the ST1300 but they changed it for more torque down low (which it does have) and they reduced some of the higher end HP (it could use it but you wouldn't miss it too much). The Honda V-4 is smooth and quiet with a different vibe than an inline-four. I got the CTX because I wanted to try a V-4.

It won't have the kind of off idle torque like your V-twin, though. I used to have a 2010 Street Glide.

Handling? Good.

Brakes? Good and strong.

Bags? Nicely integrated into the bike but the backsides are contoured to fit tightly to the bike so they don't hold as much as they appear to hold. Bags on my BMW R1200RT were huge in comparison, bags on the Street Glide were easier to use with top loading.

Forks feel rather harsh although they seem to soften a little with some miles, rear is OK and you can swap shocks. What probably aggravates the harsh feeling front end are the bars which reach way back to the rider, so they amplify any vibrations. Not as much after market support so you have to search out the suspension solutions which can get expensive for the front end.

Only a 5-speed but the ratios are nicely spaced and with the torque you don't miss a 6th gear since it's geared tall enough.

Shaft drive is a no brainer.

Getting the beast onto the optional center stand isn't that easy, nor getting it off the stand. It weighs about 200 pounds more than our CB's at around 750 or so.

Fairing is nice and deflects wind properly much like the Road Glide I guess since it's frame mounted and blocks the wind coming up from under the forks and tank which is a problem on the bat wing fairing Harley's.

Cee Bailey does have a few different height replacement screens and the Honda tall touring screen is also effective.

There is a CTX1300 forum you can check into for the latest from the real world riders.

If you want a mile muncher but want to downsize a bit from the full dresser sized bikes including the touring Big Twins or a Goldwing, then the CTX might fit.

Plus it's a Honda, so it'll keep running forever with the same basic engine as the ST. After the initial 600 mile oil change the next oil change was 8,000 miles and it wasn't spec'd for synthetic oil either! It's designed like a car engine with the fuel filler "door" at the back of the "tank" and the fuel tank under the seat.

Stock seat by way is very comfortable. Oh, one pain is putting air into the rear tire since the bags limit your access and there isn't much room on top of the tire valve to place the air chuck.

Ask me any questions and I'll try to remember my impressions!

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Thread starter
I'm 30 miles of water away from my CB, but I looked at a picture and can see it, lol, now I know what that is. My Spyder has the electric windshield and allows me different helmet options in different weather. I generally ride with it down, but my wife really appreciated it when we were in the mountains and rode after dark and the temps plummeted. She doesn't like full face and she was getting chilly.
Thanks for the info Hula. I'm going to sit on one this weekend, wish I could test drive, but its not going to get out of the 30s. The dealer i'm going has both an ST and a CTX.
 
Man, what a pretty ST but like Oly says this time of the year $5000-5500 tops...mayby $6000 prime season. The trunk and the windshield are farkles I can see on that bike. At only 23K it is not even broken in. Many ST riders put between 100-300,000 miles on their bikes.

By detuned I mean the Honda ST puts out about 125 hp at the crank and 78ish ft lbs of torque. The CTX 85 ish crank hp and 65 ish ft lbs of torque, and redline is 2000 rpms lower or something.

My ST doesn't have ABS and like the 13 CB most don't, but they can be found. The CTX does come with ABS I believe. I found the bars on the CTX really weird. They are like tiller bars in that they come way back. I have not ridden one, only sat on them. On the ST unless it has bar risers you will be leaning slightly forward to reach the bars. CTX is probably a nice bike but the ST certainly didn't need less HP. At over 700 pounds it needs all the horsepower it can get lol.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Man, what a pretty ST but like Oly says this time of the year $5000-5500 tops...mayby $6000 prime season. The trunk and the windshield are farkles I can see on that bike. At only 23K it is not even broken in. Many ST riders put between 100-300,000 miles on their bikes.

By detuned I mean the Honda ST puts out about 125 hp at the crank and 78ish ft lbs of torque. The CTX 85 ish crank hp and 65 ish ft lbs of torque, and redline is 2000 rpms lower or something.

My ST doesn't have ABS and like the 13 CB most don't, but they can be found. The CTX does come with ABS I believe. I found the bars on the CTX really weird. They are like tiller bars in that they come way back. I have not ridden one, only sat on them. On the ST unless it has bar risers you will be leaning slightly forward to reach the bars. CTX is probably a nice bike but the ST certainly didn't need less HP. At over 700 pounds it needs all the horsepower it can get lol.
I've always called those Beach Bars. I would prefer Anti Lock, even though the CB is the first I have had.
 
Thread starter
On Thursday I drove up to Moms, near Foxboro Stadium. They always have what seems like 500+- used bikes to look at. I went there specifically to check out the ST1300 and the CTX1300. The ST is great, I really like it a lot. Didn't care for the CTX at all. Your right Ferret, the tiller bars are weird. Lifting the bike off the stand they felt almost flimsy and the CTX felt top heavy compared to the ST. Sat on probably 10 other different Sport Tourers, the BMWs were tall and top heavy for me, but glad I sat on them. Then there was the Multistada, didn't have to sit on it. There were a couple others that were okay, but the St was the most suitable. The ST I sat on was 8k, reduced to 7k and they wouldn't go lower. I found this one: http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/5368426296.html and will call the owner today. It has higher mileage than I would like, but the price is more in line. Are there any ST specific questions I should ask the seller ? What kind of things am I looking at replacing at 55,000 miles vs 23,000 miles ?
 
ST's are car like in their ruggedness. There are only 2 issues that seem to affect them (1) thermostats and if they heat up to 3 bars and stay at 3 bars they are good. If they heat up to 3 then go back to 2 then back to three (the 3 bar 2 bar dance we call it) it is partially stuck open. Still in their wisdom when they are stuck open they just run cooler than normal and won't overheat so it's no big deal. The second issue is sometimes water gets in the secondary master cylinder on the left front caliper and it locks up. not real common but been known to happen. Mostly to guys who ride in lots of rain. Honda redesigned the SMC with a drain hole and if you replace yours you will get the updated parts. The Goldwings have the same problem I believe and Honda has recalled them, but not the ST's so far. I have 67,000 miles on mine and have replaced the thermostat but no issue with the SMC so far.

I love my ST 1300 and sometimes while riding it think I should pick up another and have it in storage in case anything happens to mine. Then I think if this one goes 200,000K miles, at 10K a year I have another 13 years or something at which time I will most likely be worm bait. IF the ST weighed 550 pounds it would be perfect, because at present it is a heavy beast, but man what a smooth, comfortable mile muncher. One up or two it doesn't know the diff. I/we have ridden ours from Maine to NC to Washington State, to California. Two years ago now, I rode to Cali and back taking 66 out, up the PCH, back to Pikes Peak, and Bonneville Salt flats and back home 495 miles a day for 11 days straight and was never uncomfortable the whole trip.

Like I said there was an 07 I think on the ST forum with 26K miles for $5500. Here's a link to the classifieds, have a look around

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?325-Bikes-for-Sale
 
Thread starter
Thanks Ferret. What are some normal maintenance things that should have been done to an ST that has 50K miles ? Besides normal wear items.
 
Oil and filter, rear end, air cleaner, spark plugs and brake pads depending on when anything was done last

I try and follow this schedule:
oil, filter, every 4000 mi
rear end oil every 8,000 mi
spark plugs, air cleaner every 25,000 mi
Tires every 8,000 - 12,000 miles
Brakes start checking every 15,000 miles replace as needed


Here is my maintenance sheet for my ST

 
A lot of ST owners complain of the heat the engine puts out. I always wear ATGATT and even in the middle of summer haven't noticed anything. If you ride an ST in shorts, then YMMV.

It does put out some heat. You won't be putting any cold drinks in the holder in the left console or a cell phone on either side, and the tank will get pretty warm, but I have no problems and love mine. I just don't ride it as much as Ferret. Few people do :)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
A lot of ST owners complain of the heat the engine puts out. I always wear ATGATT and even in the middle of summer haven't noticed anything. If you ride an ST in shorts, then YMMV.

It does put out some heat. You won't be putting any cold drinks in the holder in the left console or a cell phone on either side, and the tank will get pretty warm, but I have no problems and love mine. I just don't ride it as much as Ferret. Few people do :)
Over on the ST forum they do, I generally rank about # 20 in miles by the end of the year over there. The leaders triple my mileage.

Yea they do put out some heat down in the shin area. I too wear mc pants and it's not an issue, but someone in shorts may get burned lol
 
Back
Top