Cross country purchase?

Carguy1959_imp said:
Not the best time of year to fly and ride that kind of distance. KBB says used thru a dealer is $6700. You need to check the "out the door price" from your local dealer. Hidden fees taxes and such. I looked at the pictures as well. Cant see any noticeable problems or blemishes. So that leaves your gut feeling about the deal. It has been on cl for at least 3 weeks. Wrong time of the year up there to sell a bike and it is only going to get worse weather wise. Just some more things to keep you up at night.
Good luck
This is true. Octobers along Lake Erie tend to be cold and wet; and after the 15th, snow is more than possible.

If the OP opts to fly and ride home, he'll maybe be having a bit more of an adventure than he bargained for, up until he gets across the Mississippi River.
 
As carguy said, when you compare dealers, clearly ask what other fees do they charge. Some will try to soak you a few hundred more for a dealer setup fee, documentation fee, etc. Don't buy the story from them that these are non negotiable and outside of the agreed price. EVERYTHING is negotiable.

Dealers have also been known to tell you over the phone that there are no other fees, only to hit you with one when you are asked for payment. Get the sales manager to send you an email confirming the out the door price which includes shipping if needed. Also be aware, the last bike I bought long distance, the dealer quoted me a price of $400 for shipping which was reasonable. He did state, however, that they needed to put the bike in a crate, and if I backed out of the deal after I had sent the check, and after they crated it, that they would charge me the $400 for building the crate. The crate they built turned out to be an amazing job. They did such a good job, it took me all afternoon to disassemble the crate to get to the bike. It contained enough 2x4s, 4x4s, and plywood that I could have built half a garage! So the $400 price they quoted me was probably fair, what with all the new wood they used, and the employees' time I'm sure it took to build it.

Generally speaking, you should not pay tax on an out of state buy, you'll be assessed for your state tax when you title and register it back home. And of course, factor in shipping fees. These do vary quite a bit. Sometimes it's best from both a price and a reliability perspective to use a shipper that the selling dealer regularly uses.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the multiple insights. I see references to people picking up a new 2013 Standard for about $7500, but no mention made one way or the other on any added fees on top of that. Absent any other comment, I take it to mean $7500 plus tax and license = out the door price. That's my target. Adding shipping to the Craigslist prices I've seen puts it at about $7K, which is not enough of a savings to offset the risk of a cross-country purchase, assuming I can get the local dealer to go for $7500 plus tax/license. WA state charges a "use tax" when you title a used vehicle, so the tax associated with new vs out-of-state used is pretty much a wash. I guess the next step is up to me. I just hate the games and stress associated with buying cars and motorcycles.
 
I've got a '13 in the classified section for $6K (2700 miles, which is still low), that would be $6575 with shipping. There are a few members in my area, I'm sure one would check it out for you.
 
CB360T_imp said:
Thanks for the multiple insights. I see references to people picking up a new 2013 Standard for about $7500, but no mention made one way or the other on any added fees on top of that. Absent any other comment, I take it to mean $7500 plus tax and license = out the door price. That's my target. Adding shipping to the Craigslist prices I've seen puts it at about $7K, which is not enough of a savings to offset the risk of a cross-country purchase, assuming I can get the local dealer to go for $7500 plus tax/license. WA state charges a "use tax" when you title a used vehicle, so the tax associated with new vs out-of-state used is pretty much a wash. I guess the next step is up to me. I just hate the games and stress associated with buying cars and motorcycles.
Buying new might be the way to go as long as the $1000 in Honda Bonus Bucks promo still applies. I picked up a new 2013 ABS last month for $6959 ($7959 - $1000 Bonus Bucks). Out the door was $7431.95.

For the Bonus Bucks promo, look under 'Motorcycles' and then 'See Sport Offers'. http://powersports.honda.com/offers/atvs/utility.aspx
 
CB360T_imp said:
It's a 2013 CB1100 listed on Craigslist in Erie, PA for $6300 with under 700 miles. Why would a person take a hit and sell a bike after only a few hundred miles? I guess each person's story is different.

The pics seem to show an ABS ring on the rear wheel, but on pics showing the front wheel, I don't clearly see the ABS ring. Looks to be a decent price if this is an ABS standard model from 2013. The listing does not say ABS, so maybe I am wrong on what I think I might be seeing in the photos.

It seems dealers in other parts of the country will sell a 2013 non-ABS standard for $7500 + tax/license. Dealers in the Seattle area don't seem to be as hungry. That's what makes these low mileage Craigslist listings interesting to me. Plus, If I really want an ABS model, I believe used is about the only option left.
In my case, it was the arrival of the CB1100 DLX to the USA. The guy that got my 2013 got a pretty good deal. He is a real enthusiast though so I'm glad to know that it went to him.
 
furious_blue_imp said:
CB360T_imp said:
It's a 2013 CB1100 listed on Craigslist in Erie, PA for $6300 with under 700 miles. Why would a person take a hit and sell a bike after only a few hundred miles? I guess each person's story is different.

The pics seem to show an ABS ring on the rear wheel, but on pics showing the front wheel, I don't clearly see the ABS ring. Looks to be a decent price if this is an ABS standard model from 2013. The listing does not say ABS, so maybe I am wrong on what I think I might be seeing in the photos.

It seems dealers in other parts of the country will sell a 2013 non-ABS standard for $7500 + tax/license. Dealers in the Seattle area don't seem to be as hungry. That's what makes these low mileage Craigslist listings interesting to me. Plus, If I really want an ABS model, I believe used is about the only option left.
In my case, it was the arrival of the CB1100 DLX to the USA. The guy that got my 2013 got a pretty good deal. He is a real enthusiast though so I'm glad to know that it went to him.
In my case, it was the arrival of the CB1100 DLX to the USA. The guy that got my 2013 got a pretty good deal. He is a real enthusiast though so I'm glad to know that it went to him.
In my case the man that owned my 2013 CB1100 AD was an areo space engineer, he rode the bike for 4400 miles and upgraded the fuel system controls via a commander V and a Yoshi exhaust. He traded it to an Indian dealer for the new Indian Chief Classic, boy what a change:P. I paid $6500 +ttl. Bike was taken well care of and was/is like new.

Ralph
 
Ralph_imp said:
furious_blue_imp said:
CB360T_imp said:
It's a 2013 CB1100 listed on Craigslist in Erie, PA for $6300 with under 700 miles. Why would a person take a hit and sell a bike after only a few hundred miles? I guess each person's story is different.

The pics seem to show an ABS ring on the rear wheel, but on pics showing the front wheel, I don't clearly see the ABS ring. Looks to be a decent price if this is an ABS standard model from 2013. The listing does not say ABS, so maybe I am wrong on what I think I might be seeing in the photos.

It seems dealers in other parts of the country will sell a 2013 non-ABS standard for $7500 + tax/license. Dealers in the Seattle area don't seem to be as hungry. That's what makes these low mileage Craigslist listings interesting to me. Plus, If I really want an ABS model, I believe used is about the only option left.
In my case, it was the arrival of the CB1100 DLX to the USA. The guy that got my 2013 got a pretty good deal. He is a real enthusiast though so I'm glad to know that it went to him.
In my case, it was the arrival of the CB1100 DLX to the USA. The guy that got my 2013 got a pretty good deal. He is a real enthusiast though so I'm glad to know that it went to him.
In my case the man that owned my 2013 CB1100 AD was an areo space engineer, he rode the bike for 4400 miles and upgraded the fuel system controls via a commander V and a Yoshi exhaust. He traded it to an Indian dealer for the new Indian Chief Classic, boy what a change:P. I paid $6500 +ttl. Bike was taken well care of and was/is like new.

Ralph
If I had the money and the space for one, I could see getting an Indian Chief, but I could never give up the CB1100 for it :-)
 
I couldn't stomach buying a bike unseen unless it was brand new from a dealer. The one I bought was 2 states away from a private individual and I did a fly n ride. Told him that I need a lower price to make up for the one way plane ticket. Worked out great, except for no cell service throughout Montana. :)
If you do a fly n ride, as mentioned, there's only a few more weeks of safe weather.

The Erie, PA one is no longer listed I think.
There is one in Idaho with more miles, but ask for a lower price for the fly n drive. Would be an easy ride back.
One in bakersfield, CA, would be a nice ride up the coast, not much snow to worry about.
One in San Jose, CA with 10k miles, but its a shorter ride, and always ask for a lower price to offset the plane ticket.
One in Redding, CA with about 4k miles. Decent deal.
And for some reason, Colorado has a few. Might be okay weather for riding back still. And if one is not good you can check a few others out nearby.
 
Crossing the Rockies this late in the year is a hit-or-miss affair. It's been unusually mild and dry as of late, but that can quickly change and make the roads impassable on a bike.
 
Ask the Donner party about that...
 
I live near the one in Idaho. it has been up for sale almost a year now. I could possibly go look at it for you if needed. I bet they would go down on the price.
 
RedWinger_imp said:
I couldn't stomach buying a bike unseen unless it was brand new from a dealer. The one I bought was 2 states away from a private individual and I did a fly n ride. Told him that I need a lower price to make up for the one way plane ticket. Worked out great, except for no cell service throughout Montana. :)
If you do a fly n ride, as mentioned, there's only a few more weeks of safe weather.

The Erie, PA one is no longer listed I think.
There is one in Idaho with more miles, but ask for a lower price for the fly n drive. Would be an easy ride back.
One in bakersfield, CA, would be a nice ride up the coast, not much snow to worry about.
One in San Jose, CA with 10k miles, but its a shorter ride, and always ask for a lower price to offset the plane ticket.
One in Redding, CA with about 4k miles. Decent deal.
And for some reason, Colorado has a few. Might be okay weather for riding back still. And if one is not good you can check a few others out nearby.
PM sent.

I may be ready to sell...a few issues that're telling me that this is just a bit too much machine for me, anymore. Not rolling, but slow-maneuvering.

Luggage rack and Plexistar windscreen.
 
There's a clean 2013 listed on eBay at a dealer in VA $5995 OBO, 4800 miles.
The description says no other fees if taking it out of state.
 
I'm surprised no one has mentioned using a pickup truck to go haul one back yourself. Most dealers have ramps that they will let you use. Or there are various ways to use a $75.00 ramp from Harbor Freight. You just find a incline to use, makes the loading angle much less steep. Might not be cost effective to go across country though. Time wise, gas, motel etc., but a few states away one can easily make the trip in one or two days. If you are a avid motorcyclist a good set of ramps are a great investment. If you have a standard 8'bed truck you can haul just about any bike out there. I just recently drove up to Niagara Falls from the Maryland eastern shore to pick up a CB1100. The wife and I visited the falls and drove back the next day. Very nice little trip. The leaves in the Pennsylvania mountains were near their fall color peak. It was a nice trip. We've done many trips like that picking up bikes. We've picked them up in Mississippi, Georgia, Kentucky, Nebraska, Vermont. It gives you and the wife a excuse to take a little weekend get away.
 
That is a good idea Capt. Or if you have a top on the truck or don't have a truck, you could rent a U-Haul trailer and use that. I did that once. Trailer was enclosed so the bike stayed nice and clean and away from prying eyes.

When I bought my ST a number of states away, all my friends said drive out and tow it home. I said I'm buying a touring bike and I'm going to tour and ride it home!! And I did. :)
 
Back
Top