Cross country purchase?

CB360T_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Is it worth considering purchasing from a private party and shipping cross country? How would you inspect the bike to be reasonably sure it was in the stated condition? Do you put the money in escrow until the bike arrives and is inspected on the receiving end? Any experiences or insights appreciated. Again, this is private party, not from a dealer.
 
I've bought & sold several long distance bikes over the years. Shipping is easy because there are so many respected companies offering the service, plus USHIP. Cross country is about $650. -$750.
I know there are inspection companies for cars, because I've used them & cost about $350. Not sure about bikes. But this might be easier an a lot cheaper: Ask the Forum if someone lives near the seller & if they will inspect the bike for you. Smart Phones have videos so you can see & hear the bike in real time. 98% of the sellers are honest. Just my suggestion, Rocket
 
Face time or Skipe are good ways to view the bike. Google private party inspection places in their area as well. You are always going to take a chance. You can google the person to check for any red flags.
 
I've bought several bikes long distance and used shippers. No escrow, just lots of talks with the seller to get a good feel for their sincerity and honesty, and always ask for more and closer photos than they have available. You can get a good feel by how they accommodate you with regard to photos and talking to you on the phone. Listen to your inner feelings. If something doesn't seem right, err on the side of caution and move on to something else.

I agree, google them and also try to find some posts they make on a forum. You just may find posts about a bike you're considering buying where the seller mentions problems.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, all. These are really helpful comments. It's going to be a big leap in faith for me. I'm the kind of person who always thinks about what can go wrong.
 
Tell us what you are looking at. (We're not going to jump in front of you!)

What makes it so special that cross country is worth it?

Unless it's the 2014 Deluxe in New England. Then I understand.
 
I'd be curious to know what others think a 2014 Deluxe might be worth.

Perhaps I've been fortunate, but I've bought and sold bikes from across the country several times, sight unseen, without issue, consequence, or regret. I do agree a character test is important. I always use HaulBikes to ship bikes and strongly recommend them. They are currently offering a $575 deal, anywhere to anywhere in the U.S., no crating or palletizing required, no need to drain fluids, no need to remove the battery. Home - HAULBIKES
 
CB360T_imp said:
Is it worth considering purchasing from a private party and shipping cross country? How would you inspect the bike to be reasonably sure it was in the stated condition? Do you put the money in escrow until the bike arrives and is inspected on the receiving end? Any experiences or insights appreciated. Again, this is private party, not from a dealer.
I have bought 3 shipped bikes. Two where fine and in described shape by the owner. The 3rd looked great in photo's but was a dog. I looked up the owner who was the CEO of a medical group in Kentucky. Stand up guy who had recently bought the bike a few years back. Can't really blame the guy who knew nothing about motorcycles. He did reimburse me the shipping fee after a long list of problems.The moral of this story is some people can be honest but just don't understand bikes.

I you give us the location of the bike, maybe a member is close by and can take a look at the bike.
 
Thread starter
It's a 2013 CB1100 listed on Craigslist in Erie, PA for $6300 with under 700 miles. Why would a person take a hit and sell a bike after only a few hundred miles? I guess each person's story is different.

The pics seem to show an ABS ring on the rear wheel, but on pics showing the front wheel, I don't clearly see the ABS ring. Looks to be a decent price if this is an ABS standard model from 2013. The listing does not say ABS, so maybe I am wrong on what I think I might be seeing in the photos.

It seems dealers in other parts of the country will sell a 2013 non-ABS standard for $7500 + tax/license. Dealers in the Seattle area don't seem to be as hungry. That's what makes these low mileage Craigslist listings interesting to me. Plus, If I really want an ABS model, I believe used is about the only option left.
 
CB360, the ring on the rear wheel is used for the speedometer on NON ABS bikes. The speed sensor "reads" the ring as it rotates.
 
CB,

You really can't go wrong mechanically with the bike, it still under warranty until July 2016. Just a matter of cosmetics or if the bike was down. Looks clean and appears to be a non-abs model. Private sale price of 6300.00 is where it should be. Shipping is probably about 600.00 bringing you into the 7G range. Out of my range to check it out for you.
 
Thread starter
Thanks. I was wondering what that serrated black ring on the rear wheel was for. At $6300 + $575 shipping (Haul Bikes), that puts it at about $7000, which makes it not really worth the potential risk, compared to a potential dealer price of $7500. I guess I'll have to see what the dealer really will accept. Can anyone speak to a good (best) time to buy a bike in the off season in the Pacific NW? Black Friday?:)
 
CB360T_imp said:
Thanks. I was wondering what that serrated black ring on the rear wheel was for. At $6300 + $575 shipping (Haul Bikes), that puts it at about $7000, which makes it not really worth the potential risk, compared to a potential dealer price of $7500. I guess I'll have to see what the dealer really will accept. Can anyone speak to a good (best) time to buy a bike in the off season in the Pacific NW? Black Friday?:)
There's not much room to discount @ 7500.00 on this bike. Dealer takes his 2000.00 leftover kick back from Honda and discounts 500 more. I would think he is making 1000-1500 max on the bike.
 
Don't know anything specific to the Pacific NW, but the salesman here in FL let me know just before the end of the month is a good time to buy. They want a deal to make monthly quotas and bonuses.
 
Thread starter
Local dealers are at about $9K for a 2013 or 2014, based on what is listed on their websites. Hard to tell if that's what they actually expect to get. Since I've seen dealers in other towns willing to sell at $7500, that's my baseline expectation. Local dealer may not be willing, though...
 
CB360T, I purchased my 2013 AD with 4,023 mi on it from an Indian dealer in Texas by only looking at the pictures.

In my case everything worked out very good. What small problems there were with the bike where clearly spelled out in the ad and the whole experience was very pleasant.

ralph
 
I found my '14 Deluxe on Craigslist but it was at an out-of-town Honda dealer, so I was comfortable. They agreed to my price and delivered the bike at no charge. I never heard it run until it was sitting in my driveway. How's that for faith? Zero issues.
 
Not the best time of year to fly and ride that kind of distance. KBB says used thru a dealer is $6700. You need to check the "out the door price" from your local dealer. Hidden fees taxes and such. I looked at the pictures as well. Cant see any noticeable problems or blemishes. So that leaves your gut feeling about the deal. It has been on cl for at least 3 weeks. Wrong time of the year up there to sell a bike and it is only going to get worse weather wise. Just some more things to keep you up at night.
Good luck
 
Back
Top