crankshaft balancer backlash adjustment

Balance shaft was adjusted perfectly before :/ rattle is loud as ever. Goes away when fully hot though.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Alright. I know I'm posting a ton but my poor girl, she clatters. I should have made a video... but I tried isolating the noise. If I put my stethoscope anywhere on the pan, the clatter is real light... except for the two tabs that stick down! It's insanely loud there!!!! Tried to look up a parts diagram. If you look at the pic posted, it's right under the tab marked '1'. There is a hole near there. What's behind that? Is my oil pump making all this noise? This is for sure as close as I could get externally. She may be going back to the shop now that the condition is reproducible :(

0313d977bb5cda8e053e09a84de5630d.jpg


Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
Just for info. When the 13s first came out, a guy on the UK board had a bad chatter like this. The dealer apparently had to (apparently) change out the balancer. They were pretty vague about the whole thing (to the owner), but it was done under warrenty by direction of Honda. There was even a thread about adjusting the balancer and I posted the manual procedure, or most of it...
 
Thread starter
Mine has almost 11k miles. The balancer was set on 2 and you can hear it rattle, i could adjust to 5 to make it whine. 3 to 4 sounded like the sweet spot though. So i went for the "less is more" approach. I'll let it warm up from cold in the morning and then give it 20 miles to work. Too bad I am not in Texas. I'd like to hear it.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Just for info. When the 13s first came out, a guy on the UK board had a bad chatter like this. The dealer apparently had to (apparently) change out the balancer. They were pretty vague about the whole thing (to the owner), but it was done under warrenty by direction of Honda. There was even a thread about adjusting the balancer and I posted the manual procedure, or most of it...
Must have been to tight from the factory based on what the FSM says.
 
Well I will grab a video of the whole warm up process. Its about 5 min but I would like to show the dealer. I really hope it can all be done under warranty... luckily there is a dealer here that does an awesome job and really takes care of people. part of me wishes it had no warranty so I could justify pulling the pan and taking pictures and posting my diagnostic!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Ok so after my test ride into work today here is what adjusting my balancer resulted in:
Less vibrations while riding
Not as much of the chain slack feeling when you let off the throttle and get back on. My throttle cables and chain are both adjusted properly.
Annnnnnnd the thing I'm most stoked over is a quieter shifting transmission.
 
dlhmatt_imp said:
Ok so after my test ride into work today here is what adjusting my balancer resulted in:
Less vibrations while riding
Not as much of the chain slack feeling when you let off the throttle and get back on. My throttle cables and chain are both adjusted properly.
Annnnnnnd the thing I'm most stoked over is a quieter shifting transmission.
Interesting. I have read a bunch of complaints about such issues, and have always scratched my head, since my bike has none of them. At all. Wouldn't it be something if this relatively simple balancer adjustment was the cure for those that do!
 
Thread starter
The video is filmed in a little alcove behind my work so it still sounds loud but when you are riding its just like new. The second to third gear shift and back down got loud on mine after a thousand miles or so. My balancer had so much room for adjustment i was worried but after the ride today I'm back to being thrilled about this bike.
 
I also noticed on my cb a noise when the engine is running at low speed, I thought it was the timing chain or the valve clearance adjustment to adjust, but checking well I realized that the noise came from the lower part of the engine and listening closely I found the cause, the Interior exhaust catalyst came off, in fact cold motion its steel casing the tightensbut when heats up and expands with the exhaust gas pressure low manages to move causing noise, guando you accelerate .... i have more exhaust gas pressure and hold still. .... now I don't know what I'll do to fix it, maybe flue gas taglieròlo and I'll dig it out, or I'll change the whole exhaust system complete without catalyst.

Hi Angelo
 
Thread starter
Andor_imp said:
I also noticed on my cb a noise when the engine is running at low speed, I thought it was the timing chain or the valve clearance adjustment to adjust, but checking well I realized that the noise came from the lower part of the engine and listening closely I found the cause, the Interior exhaust catalyst came off, in fact cold motion its steel casing the tightensbut when heats up and expands with the exhaust gas pressure low manages to move causing noise, guando you accelerate .... i have more exhaust gas pressure and hold still. .... now I don't know what I'll do to fix it, maybe flue gas taglieròlo and I'll dig it out, or I'll change the whole exhaust system complete without catalyst.

Hi Angelo
That sounds like kdiqq should look into that also.
 
I will try anything. The only thing that's alarming is that my stethoscope picks it up right on the oil pan... something is contacting the oil pan... hopefully it's something simple like exhaust.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
For sure coming from in front of exhaust. Below the crank. Again, right where those tabs are. Made a video. Starts symptoms at about 2:30.
this is the full warm up cycle.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
After 40 miles I'm dead sure this made my shifting back to 100%. After the first thousand or so miles one day third to second gear started clacking and it just got worse and worse. I hope someone else who's transmission sounds like a Honda super cub transmission does this soon.
 
dlhmatt,

Glad you found your noise. I hope the other guys do too. Hopefully they will adjust the balancer, and/or make sure the cam chain is adjusted.
 
Thread starter
kDiqq_imp said:
For sure coming from in front of exhaust. Below the crank. Again, right where those tabs are. Made a video. Starts symptoms at about 2:30.
this is the full warm up cycle.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Just watched your video. Boy is that bad... like you said it's doing it all the time so now you can take it to the dealer. Does it speed up with rpms?
 
No!!!! It vanishes at every other RPM!!! If I clutch out while on the brake and drop it, it goes away, rev up, and goes away again. Once it gets to operating temperature it goes away again. Its only once it's going through the warm up period... makes me stay up at night and cry... I will be going to the dealer next Tuesday. I really hope it something simple like the oil pump rattling in something

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
kDiqq_imp said:
No!!!! It vanishes at every other RPM!!! If I clutch out while on the brake and drop it, it goes away, rev up, and goes away again. Once it gets to operating temperature it goes away again. Its only once it's going through the warm up period... makes me stay up at night and cry... I will be going to the dealer next Tuesday. I really hope it something simple like the oil pump rattling in something

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
It sounds like piston slap from the video. YouTube motorcycle piston slap and compare... :(
 
I've had piston slap in almost every motor I've raced. Its well below the crank and my stethoscope picks up nothing above the crank. Plus I think piston slap would only occur at cold. At least that's the case with my race motors. Ugh man! I thought getting a Honda would be the end of my reliability problems haha I think I got a fluke :P

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
There is always one.....unfortunately.
 
Thread starter
I can't say with any certainty that it is piston slap. From the phone camera video that's what it sounded like to me. You've dealt with piston slap before so yeah i would expect you to be able to pick up on that on your own but not knowing your past experience i wasn't sure if you have ever heard it before. How many miles are on your bike?
 
Matt,

Please continue to throw out ideas!! It helps a ton, especially with how regularly I am wrong :P I just passed up 1200 miles.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top