Could Use Some Happy Thoughts

rdprdp01

Administrator
Thread starter
I am a 62-year-old entrepreneur who, with my two partners, owns an IT services firm that supports 911 dispatch centers, fire departments, private ambulance companies, and two nonprofit medical facilities in the East Bay. We have 23 people on the payroll, all committed to making the world a little less harsh. One of our hospitals provides pediatric care for terminally ill children; another provides medical and dental care, clothing, counseling, and food for families who are doing the very best they can. Not everyone in the Bay Area works for Google and holds stock options. The divide between the haves and the have-nots is profound.

I spend most of my time in the DMZ between the harsh realities of life and the government agencies working to ease suffering. We are not heroes. We do not answer calls, run into burning buildings, or stop the bleeding. But we keep the IT infrastructure in place so first responders can arrive on scene quickly, respond effectively, call for help when needed, and return to Post. I used to make high-tech millionaires and billionaires by helping them flip companies. Now I work for 23 engineers, technicians, analysts, and programmers, keeping the emergency response engine we built together running smoothly. It is a much better gig.

This morning at 3:00 AM, I received the call. Children playing with fireworks set fire to the rental house we lease for staff, many of whom commute just like me. The fire crept into the walls. It is a holiday weekend, so no one was home, but the smoke alarm system sounded, the alert went out, and the very systems we maintain were put to use. An Engine Company from Station 17 was dispatched, entered the home, opened the walls from the inside, and doused the flames before the structure was lost or the fire spread through the neighborhood. I am told the firefighters found the source despite the smoke that filled the dwelling. I am grateful beyond words for their work.

My CB1100EX and two Bianchi bicycles were in the garage, where the fire originated. Believe it or not, I spent more on the bicycles than the motorcycle! Their fate is unclear at this time, and none of them can be replaced. If you have some positive energy to lend, now would be the time.

I love California: its natural beauty and the kindness the incredible people I have met there. It has also been a hard place for me to afford. I cannot buy a home in the East Bay, so I live in the Texas Hill Country, commute roughly 300 days a year, and work the balance from home. This morning I watched the sun come up, fed the horses, tended to the baby deer, and decided to let the Forum help me manage the next few hours. Thank you.

x93XEbM.jpeg


oYr7e0g.jpeg


ZZS7DvS.jpeg


VMJktno.jpeg


Is2PHJb.jpeg


w1L0zLd.jpeg


VoawOsn.jpeg


wsuP2eg.jpeg
 
As a noob here, your welcome, encouragement, and kindness toward me and others has not gone unappreciated.

What you do personally and professionally is amazing and inspiring, and I hope the small rewards (bikes) you've collected for a lot of thoughtful and heartfelt hard work come through unscathed.

Truly, all the best!
 
David, sorry to hear of the troubles. One thing I have come to realize is, life is precious, and stuff is just stuff. No one was injured or killed and that is the important thing. The other stuff is just stuff. I realize maybe it can't be exactly replaced, but in the grand scheme of things, losing a couple of bikes pales in comparison to losing a couple of lives. You should be thankful. Imagine how you would feel if some kids or some of your employees had perished. What happened certainly wasn't good, but when all is said and done, it could have been much worse.

Hang in there buddy.
 
Thread starter
Copy that, Ferret. Intellectually, we are in complete alignment. 100%. But emotionally, that motorcycle, those bikes, and this Forum mean a little more to me than they probably should. I am still a work in progress, trying to become an adult. :)

There is a Restoration Crew in the house, mopping up water and removing the toxic sludge that forms when a fire burns and is extinguished by brave Firefighters. I hope they find the Double-Time-and-a-Half worth the sacrifice of the holiday weekend. We are incredibly lucky to have them working today rather than tomorrow.

If we mask up, the Building Inspector will grant us access to the property to remove what we can and discard what is beyond repair from smoke and water damage. I suspect I will end up with brand-new motorcycle jackets, helmets, boots, gloves, clothing, and computer equipment. I will know tomorrow afternoon when I report on scene:

OV38UHN.jpeg


Regarding the motorcycle, spare parts, bikes, and tools, I am pleased to report that all are salvageable with some detailing and patience. The fire occurred on the opposite side of the garage. The three crews who responded to the call were skilled and experienced. They knew how to locate the source, extinguish the fire quickly, and minimize damage to the structure and contents. The only credit I earned was choosing the right side of the building to set up my happy place. Have a good 4th of July. David

UnNrSbu.jpeg
 
David, human life is irreplacable. I am glad you are safe and sound, Good bless you!!!
I also see that your driving force of your life - your beautiful CB1100EX is still gleaming.
 
Thread starter
Coming from someone who knows something about adversity, that means a great deal to me. Family, friends, and faith factor into the many blessings of my life. But the CB1100Ex never, never tells me to stop working so hard or to lighten up or asks me why I dirty so many pots and pans while making the 4th of July dinner! She always is willing to go along with my plan no matter how silly it may be. :)
 
David, read your post while Mrs. G and I were out doing Sunday errands, and my heart sank. Just checking back in now that we're home, and so glad to hear that your CB1100 and bikes are safe. I can't imagine the feeling of not knowing while you waited to find out. Sounds like the house can be saved, albeit with a lot of repairs. You've done so much to keep our group together that the thought of something so tragic befalling you hurts, even though the bikes are safe.

Yes, we can say "They're just things, they can be replaced." But I'm thinking back to the Palisades and Altadena fires, and shortly afterwards communing and comiserating with friends and museum colleagues who lost everything. Within minutes their house, all of their belongings, their vehicles, just disappeared. Being museum folk or local guests, these are true enthusiasts. They didn't talk about their clothes, their TVs, their computers. They agonized over their cars and motorcycles. One person lost a collection of Nortons he was restoring. They really do mean more to us than "just things".

A few years ago, Mrs. G was doing a rotation through Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach. Her CRV was in an underground parking garage, and she called me to let me know there was a fire in the garage, they thought multiple cars were affected, and nobody on the level she parked on was allowed to get to their cars. So, it was possible that hers was affected. Due to the acrid, toxic smoke, they wouldn't let anyone access that part of the garage for a full day, and we wondered if her car was safe or not. It's just an old CRV, but she loves it, and we thought about how it was really part of the family.

We found out the next day that the car was safe, but was near the cars that burned. While it was undamaged, it was so coated in plastic sludge that we went back home and got gloves and a plastic scraper to clear the windows enough to see through them. It took a few days of multiple washings and detailing to get the residue off of the paint, and the smoke smell lasted for a few weeks. But, we were both happy that we didn't lose the car. (We're also cheap, and the thought of buying a new car was quite unpleasant).

Looks like your CB1100 and bikes will be OK with some detailing. I hope this brings some joy and relief out of an otherwise near tragedy, that will probably be highly unpleasant while you go through the process of repairing and replacing what was lost.
 
David, that was not good news to wake up to, although it was leavened a little by learning that the bikes have survived. More importantly I'm glad you were well away from danger and you and your employees are all safe and well. I can't think of anything useful to add to the wise words of others so I'll just focus on sending happy and positive thoughts your way. Hang in there, mate.
 
Thread starter
Thanks everyone for the kindness, encouragements, and perspectives shared throughout the day. Like all other days, this one draws to a close. We had seven people circulating through that house. Four of those I have know since they were literally babies. They followed in their parent’s footsteps, joined the company, and help us help others. The adults are closer to my age. We have grown old together. All of us will go to sleep tonight, safe and sound. It is a good day.

I will return to the East Bay tomorrow, take care of what needs tending, and ship anything I value including the CB1100EX back home to the Hill Country. Some of you may be surprised by future ride reports. Texas is one of the great places to ride in this country. It is time for me to revisit those places that led me to fall in love with motorcycling and the communities that are naturally drawn to them. Good night. David
 
+1 to what others have already said, David. Glad you and the others are OK. Quite the shock to read of, but there's a saying in Spanish, "poco a poco se va adelante, con paciencia". May it be so for you.
 
If it were me, and of course it is not, I would pour a cup of my favorite beverage, grab my favorite cigar (again, if it were me), and contemplate your horses and those beautiful live oak for an hour or three. Glad to hear that things are not as bad as you had feared -- most of us would do well to pause and be thankful that most bad things are not as bad as we fear.

Peace
 
Thread starter
emptysea said:
“most of us would do well to pause and be thankful that most bad things are not as bad as we fear”

Profound. Let’s hope it remains true as the hours and days progress. I am sitting on a plane in Las Vegas. In three hours, I will be onsite to clean up everything and start over with something new. In a moment of doubt, frustration, or despair, I will draw upon the wisdom of your words. David
 
Thread starter
pdedse said:
"poco a poco se va adelante, con paciencia"

When I lived in Venezuela for a few months, I saw the dignity of the people who rebuilt “ranchos” following the rains. 25 years removed, I still remember it and plan to emulate that life lesson. David
 
I'm just catching up on the forum news...my initial thought when I read your first post was: based on how you recovered from your bike accident years ago and turned bad into good, this will be comparatively easy for you.  The spirit of resilience and forgiveness will pay dividends once again, as always.
 
Thread starter
The first day was spent sorting out what is salvageable and what is not. The verdict is still out on my Roadskin Motorcycle gear. No soot exposure, which is good, but all gear is “smokey.” Jackets and pants are “airing” out tonight. Tomorrow, they will be washed on a gentle cycle using cold water and Dirty Labs Detergent with two wash cycles) and then air dried. I will report the results, but i hope none of you will ever have to follow my lead!

I may be homeless in California, but my motorcycle is not. She is resting comfortably in a new flat. Life is good.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1771.webp
    IMG_1771.webp
    189.4 KB · Views: 41
The CB1100 looks in good shape, rdprdp01. How about the pedal bikes?

Give the gear lots of time to air and the smoky smell should fade. You'll need more than 24 hours. Good luck.
 
Back
Top