Could not should

ThomWill_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Right after my wife and very frequent pillion passenger bought me the CB1100 for my birthday last year we went for a brief but completely uncomfortable 2 up ride. We are not little people but since then I have lost 30lbs and she has lost 20. Tonight we went for a longer and much less uncomfortable two up jaunt on Katie... Do more two up riding on this bike? Could; not should. I think we will keep to to the big touring machine for that kind of ride where we have more room for our large... elbows ;-D
 
I can see how the CB1100 would be difficult for 2 up rides, particularly long ones. I ride solo, so it's not a hinderance to me, but if I had a regular passenger, I would probably want a bigger bike for trips.

Was in the Honda dealership a couple of days ago, they have a '13 model on the floor next to a row of V-twin cruisers, and the CB looked small compared to the cruisers, they dwarfed it. I like that about the CB, someone at work, (a non rider), said it looks like a motor with 2 wheels.
 
Remember when the CB750 was a BIG BIKE? I do; the only ride bigger was a Harley, and in those days nobody in my circles would ride any HD that wasn't an XL or a chopper.

Its interesting how our frame of reference changes as it does. Another example: the VTX 1800 engine was a monster when it cdme out. Now its...average.
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
Remember when the CB750 was a BIG BIKE? I do; the only ride bigger was a Harley, and in those days nobody in my circles would ride any HD that wasn't an XL or a chopper.

Its interesting how our frame of reference changes as it does. Another example: the VTX 1800 engine was a monster when it cdme out. Now its...average.
Yes! Of course I was also a MUCH smaller person then. :-/ The CB1100 has more than enough power for us two up but for us it is about seating area length. From backrest to tank the CB measures 27 inches whereas my Triumph is 31, the Suzuki 850 is 30ish, and my Yamaha RSTD is closer to 33.
 
ThomWill_imp said:
Right after my wife and very frequent pillion passenger bought me the CB1100 for my birthday last year we went for a brief but completely uncomfortable 2 up ride. We are not little people but since then I have lost 30lbs and she has lost 20. Tonight we went for a longer and much less uncomfortable two up jaunt on Katie... Do more two up riding on this bike? Could; not should. I think we will keep to to the big touring machine for that kind of ride where we have more room for our large... elbows ;-D
the cb11 is not for 2 up. I took my son out for a ride few months back, the ride is not comfortable for both of us, the bike exhibits lack of juice for total weight of $850lbs+
 
I bought the CB1100 for two-up use. It works beautifully. My friend and I have done quite a few rides together; she's 120 pounds without gear. Together with a small tank bag we're about 280 lbs. I bumped the shocks to the maximum (position 5) and set the tires to maximum pressure and the bike handled beautifully. No issues with power. The last bike I had for two-up riding (same passenger) was a 2006 Dyna Super Glide, which weighs 700 pounds all by itself and is pushing nearly a half-ton loaded. It also worked well as two-up touring mount and we put a lot of miles on that bike together.

The Dyna is much slower and heavier than the CB1100 so if one does the math, the CB1100 is a rocketship compared to the Harley. It has excellent brakes, too. I think it could use a better seat but other than that...?

I don't know what kind of power someone is looking for but maybe a Hayabusa or FJR1300 is in order. We tend to get rather obsessed with power but a bike of moderate capabilities can be integrated into the traffic flow much more easily than an outlier. The CB1100 is MOR all the way, which is why it does work so well.
 
The CB has plenty of power for two up riding and there is difference in where a lot of people sit on the seat. Because I have short arms and legs (no munchkin jokes please) I sit up against the tank and weigh 180. Plenty of room out back for a passenger on my bike although the seat IS 3 inches shorter in length than my ST 1300s.

It's still much better than the rear seat on many cruisers and crotch rockets.
 
I installed the Honda luggage rack and top box (from Samurider) and my wife reports all is good. Having the backrest to lean against makes all the difference for her. I am a big guy - 6 foot 4 and 230 pounds, she is a svelte 130 pounds. We took a three hour ride and no complaints from Madam.
 
The ferret_imp said:
The CB has plenty of power for two up riding and there is difference in where a lot of people sit on the seat. Because I have short arms and legs (no munchkin jokes please) I sit up against the tank and weigh 180. Plenty of room out back for a passenger on my bike although the seat IS 3 inches shorter in length than my ST 1300s.

It's still much better than the rear seat on many cruisers and crotch rockets.
I just got back from a ride on mine and was trying to figure out why someone would say it lacked power.

Only two reasons: one, you've just got some super-size folks, maybe the twain of you are pushing over 400 pounds. Even still, the bike isn't anemic by any means.

Second, as I've noticed here, some riders just aren't comfortable or used to getting the tach on the boil, that is, above 4,000 rpm. Two-up, just downshift and keep the bike in the power. Also one's clutch skills come seriously into play here; you need to be good at slipping and fanning and making sure you're in the right gear.

If you aren't comfy carrying two on the CB1100, by all means, don't do it until you are.

(Actually being comfortable with something has nothing to do with whether we can do it well. I know plenty of people who were quite comfortable with circumstances and things turned out not so well.)
 
Consider this if you will..in 1977 my wife and I toured all over the place two up on a 1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 with a full Vetter fairing with lowers, hard saddlebags, tank bag, and seriously overloaded rear luggage rack. In 1977 this was a King Kong TOURING bike. The KZ 1000 and the CB 1100 are twins from different mothers in that they have nearly identical numbers..hp, torque, weight, wheel base etc although the CB actually weighs less, has more horsepower and more torque than the KZ1000 all by a skosh, and the CB is running on radial tires instead of bias ply and has much better brakes. The KZ did have a higher unrestricted top speed lol.



77 KZ1000

Engine

1,015 cc (61.9 cu in) 4 stroke DOHC air cooled Inline 4,
Bore x stroke 70.0 mm x 66.0 mm, Compression ratio 8.7:1

Top speed
132 mph (212 km/h)[1]

Power
83 hp (62 kW) @ 8,000 rpm (1977) (CB has 84 to 88 depending on reporting source)

Torque
8.1 kg·m (59 lb·ft) @ 6,500 rpm[citation needed] ( CB has 65 ft lbs)
Wheelbase
1,505 mm (59.3 in)

Dimensions
L 2,210 mm (87 in)
W 880 mm (35 in)
H 1,200 mm (47 in)


Weight

563 lb (255 kg)(½ tank of gas).... (CB weighs 540 with full tank of gas for the std, 570 wet for the Deluxe)

The CB has plenty of power for riding 2 up and you don't have to rev it to use it. BTW there is only 1 Harley Davidson with more power than a CB (most have about 20 HP less) and they all weigh more. Now that I think about it my wife and I toured all over a couple years later on an RD 350 (now THAT you had to rev lol)
 
Great picture, Ferret. Thanks for sharing that.

How'd the KZ 1000 handle 2 up with all that weight lever-armed off the back like that?
 
Back in the 70's I rode my R75/5 with my girl friend at pillion. Our combined weight was better than 300lbs and the old air head Bimmer with about 55hp and a four speed tranny handled it all easily. The wife and I rode her 79 Kz650 all over Florida, switching pillion position at gas stops. Never had a problem with lack of power with the Kawasaki either. The CB1100 is a bloody rocket ship compared with these old bikes. I think we're just a bit spoiled these days.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Back in the 70's I rode my R75/5 with my girl friend at pillion. Our combined weight was better than 300lbs and the old air head Bimmer with about 55hp and a four speed tranny handled it all easily. The wife and I rode her 79 Kz650 all over Florida, switching pillion position at gas stops. Never had a problem with lack of power with the Kawasaki either. The CB1100 is a bloody rocket ship compared with these old bikes. I think we're just a bit spoiled these days.
People are used to spec-sheet bikes. No one, nobody, no how, can use the kind of power modern bikes make, under any circumstances. That's why they all have computer intervention. A 600 sportbike is considered a beginner bike, and plenty of new riders figure, why bother, I'll jump right to the 1000.

So "only 88 HP" as the salesman mentioned to me was Superbike territory in 1983. Are we great riders now, zipping around at triple-digits all day long on the freeway?

You really have to know how to RIDE to get around on a 50 HP motorcycle, loaded for distance. It's not at all unsafe. What's unsafe is someone on a modern bike who never learned the skills.

I cringe at threads where a guy is throwing 850 bucks at a slip-on pipe which doesn't do much but change the look of the bike. That money'd get ya three track days.
 
I don't think a 18 year old boy or girl should be able to walk in any dealer and buy a 600 or 1000 sport bike with never riding a bike before. It's sad at the young kids that get killed on these fast bikes
 
My wife and I are probably a combined 410 lbs with gear. She and I are both very comfortable but our rides are 150-200 mile day trips with a few stops in between. The K&H Hi seat helps a lot. We do most of our rides on back roads including a lot of dirt and gravel. The low speed handling is great.

We rode a 2010nBonneville prior to the CB and we both find the CB superior in comfort handling power, etc.

(( My wife and I just got back from a 5 day stint in the hospital - she had major surgery but will enjoy a full recover and come out much better than before. Meanwhile she can't ride a bike or drive a car for 12 weeks. So I'll be solo for most of the summer ))
 
Sorry to hear of your wife's troubles CB4ME, but glad she is on the mend.
 
Thread starter
Agreed on the plenty of power for two up. For us it is all about the seating area (have the Corbin with backrest). Maybe if we get svelte. ;-)
 
^^^
I'm with you there Red about getting it over 4000. There is plenty on tap. Knock it down a gear or two. It's a great engine.
 
Back
Top